Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: South Laurel 57 Corbin 50
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final. Region is wide open
Corbin closer than most thought
Who officiated?
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Final. Region is wide open

If those 3 officials do every game, the region isn't wide open, it's Corbins. Lol.
Rainingthrees Wrote:Who officiated?

Yankee, Simpson, and a younger guy. Pretty sure he's a Stewart. I've never seen Yankee (I guess that's how you spell it.) ref, but he was actually decent and not really noticeable. The other two should be embarrassed to ever step on a basketball court again.
Corbins awful. I didn’t see what I was expecting from south. Simpson is terrible.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Corbins awful. I didn’t see what I was expecting from south. Simpson is terrible.

No inside game from South. Rebounding continues to be very suspect. I felt that this team would miss Ryan Anders’ Length. Man, didn’t know they would miss him this much.

It’s basically Matthew and JJ and mostly hard working role players. Also think they miss Logan Madden.
I honestly never thought tony would play triangle and two all nite. Tony usually trust his teams to guard. ESP show it now this early in year.
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:No inside game from South. Rebounding continues to be very suspect. I felt that this team would miss Ryan Anders’ Length. Man, didn’t know they would miss him this much.

It’s basically Matthew and JJ and mostly hard working role players. Also think they miss Logan Madden.

I thought South got away from everything they've done up until now. Didn't push the ball any until late in the game. Not sure if it was the constant holding as soon as Corbin made or missed a basket, or what, but not sure why they would get away from it. I also thought Dalton and Wombles played great games. Dalton picked up several cheap fouls and limited his minutes until fouling out. Norvell (sp?) has to shoot more when he's open as well. He's a huge key to that team.
I never like to complain about officiating. I would never want their job. I been to corbin a lot and knew it would be bad but this was worst I ever seen personally. Talked to a few south guys that said they had seen worse but they older than me. The corbin folks I talked to was actually ashamed and embarrassed to be a part of it.
ky playmaker Wrote:I honestly never thought tony would play triangle and two all nite. Tony usually trust his teams to guard. ESP show it now this early in year.

Numerous times, Micah Anders was left open on the wing. Kid has a good shot and needs confidence to fire away.

Good point on defense, they effectively limited JJ. Fortunately Matthew was able to attack and draw the FT after a made bucket.
Maybe south needs to work in practice on what a legal screen is cause south got called for 6 and corbin has screening figured out and got none called on them. 🤣
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:I thought South got away from everything they've done up until now. Didn't push the ball any until late in the game. Not sure if it was the constant holding as soon as Corbin made or missed a basket, or what, but not sure why they would get away from it. I also thought Dalton and Wombles played great games. Dalton picked up several cheap fouls and limited his minutes until fouling out. Norvell (sp?) has to shoot more when he's open as well. He's a huge key to that team.

Good points. Both Micah and Norvell need to take the shot. Several times they would pull it in and pass to a closely guarded teammate. A few of those made threes would have opened things up for JJ and Cromer
Norvell’s gotta keep shooting. He missed a couple and you could tell it got to him. I’ve seen the kid stroke he’s good. Looked like a few from corbin May have gotten in a few from souths head. Believe know will match up with south we’ll.
Best thing that comes out of this game at Corbin for South.....South doesn't have to play Corbin again this season at Corbins gym and they're setting at 2-0 in the district now. South hosts the district this year. Plus if they were to meet in region it will be with much more consistent officiating from out of region officials. Seen many South teams walk out of Corbin gym with the L. All the way back to the Ralph Woods fiasco with 2006 South team that was ranked #2 in the state.
One other thing that I thought was a good sign with as hard a place to get a win for South as it is at Corbin.....with around 3:00 left in the game Corbin was up 3, from that point on South closed out the game on a 13-3 run. This early in the season facing the adversity that would normally spell a loss, South responded well.
Leonards_loser Wrote:Best thing that comes out of this game at Corbin for South.....South doesn't have to play Corbin again this season at Corbins gym and they're setting at 2-0 in the district now. South hosts the district this year. Plus if they were to meet in region it will be with much more consistent officiating from out of region officials. Seen many South teams walk out of Corbin gym with the L. All the way back to the Ralph Woods fiasco with 2006 South team that was ranked #2 in the state.

South just played awful tonight. If Ramey doesn't quit disappearing during the game sometimes he is not going to be one of the best players in the region this year. We watched him dominate A Taylor last year and Corbin. He needs the 110% every game and show how he is capable of playing every game. Also, the refereeing across the state has absolutely went to crap. The state or whoeve needs to pay better so some of these better refs can ref full time. Make it a full time job with classes during the day and evaluations after every game. Some of these refs are going to get people hurt and cause a fan or whole crowd to rush the court and beat their butts. Ridiculous
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:No inside game from South. Rebounding continues to be very suspect. I felt that this team would miss Ryan Anders’ Length. Man, didn’t know they would miss him this much.

They miss Ryan Anders defense....While Ryan was about 6'4 and had plenty of arm length, rebounding was not his strong point. Ramey led the team and Cromer was second. Novell and Dalton along with Wombles have to become more aggressive on the boards. Logan Madden was also a great defender who didn't care to mix it up alittle if needed be. Wombles got a couple huge baskets late in the game from the block...think he will improve as the year goes and will be a big factor when February rolls around.
Leonards_loser Wrote:Best thing that comes out of this game at Corbin for South.....South doesn't have to play Corbin again this season at Corbins gym and they're setting at 2-0 in the district now. South hosts the district this year. Plus if they were to meet in region it will be with much more consistent officiating from out of region officials. Seen many South teams walk out of Corbin gym with the L. All the way back to the Ralph Woods fiasco with 2006 South team that was ranked #2 in the state.

Are you talking about the 2016 game? I checked the records, and SL won all three games with Corbin in 06. In fact, South stormed through the region until nearly losing to a Dinky Phipps coached Barbourville in the regional final at Clay.

Who was Ralph Woods, and what was the fiasco all about?
Superfly Wrote:South just played awful tonight. If Ramey doesn't quit disappearing during the game sometimes he is not going to be one of the best players in the region this year. We watched him dominate A Taylor last year and Corbin. He needs the 110% every game and show how he is capable of playing every game. Also, the refereeing across the state has absolutely went to crap. The state or whoeve needs to pay better so some of these better refs can ref full time. Make it a full time job with classes during the day and evaluations after every game. Some of these refs are going to get people hurt and cause a fan or whole crowd to rush the court and beat their butts. Ridiculous
triangle and two with refs letting corbin hold all nite will do that. My fat ass could stop jj if u let me pull his jersey all nite. Lol. Well actually I couldn’t cause I never even tried to play defense when I played. Lol
Leonards_loser Wrote:They miss Ryan Anders defense....While Ryan was about 6'4 and had plenty of arm length, rebounding was not his strong point. Ramey led the team and Cromer was second. Novell and Dalton along with Wombles have to become more aggressive on the boards. Logan Madden was also a great defender who didn't care to mix it up alittle if needed be. Wombles got a couple huge baskets late in the game from the block...think he will improve as the year goes and will be a big factor when February rolls around.

Agreed. I don’t think Landon has to be another Caleb Taylor, he just needs to clean the boards on defense and pick up the occasional put back. Norvell gets down on himself. Noticed this big time in the Athens Prep game. Kid has a sweet shot, but needs to play with more confidence. Dalton looks good, he got hit with several of what Bill Rafferty would call nickel dimers (cheap fouls).
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:Are you talking about the 2016 game? I checked the records, and SL won all three games with Corbin in 06. In fact, South stormed through the region until nearly losing to Dinky Phipps coaches Barbourville in the regional final at Clay.

Who was Ralph Woods, and what was the fiasco all about?

It was the game that Walt Allen was T'd up for slapping the ball after missing a layup and he was called for an offensive foul. Then there was a scoring error in the home book on the number of fouls on Walt. Roscoe Denny went crazy at the table and was ejected. When the dust settled a South 14 point 4th qtr lead was gone and the game had gotten so out of hand with near fighting all over the court, Wright pulled Proffitt and Hammonds and Smith off the floor with around 2:30-3:00 left in the game. Ralph was well known around the tri-county area.
Im not sure what year it was and I looked through the Khsaa website and didn't see it but I can promise you it happened. Ill ask Ty when I see him again.....Im sure he can recall it quickly
Fields had graduated so it woulda been after the state title year.
ky playmaker Wrote:triangle and two with refs letting corbin hold all nite will do that. My fat ass could stop jj if u let me pull his jersey all nite. Lol. Well actually I couldn’t cause I never even tried to play defense when I played. Lol

Corbin never had to hedge on a screen, they either held or the refs call an illegal screen.
Leonards_loser Wrote:It was the game that Walt Allen was T'd up for slapping the ball after missing a layup and he was called for an offensive foul. Then there was a scoring error in the home book on the number of fouls on Walt. Roscoe Denny went crazy at the table and was ejected. When the dust settled a South 14 point 4th qtr lead was gone and the game had gotten so out of hand with near fighting all over the court, Wright pulled Proffitt and Hammonds and Smith off the floor with around 2:30-3:00 left in the game. Ralph was well known around the tri-county area.
Im not sure what year it was and I looked through the Khsaa website and didn't see it but I can promise you it happened. Ill ask Ty when I see him again.....Im sure he can recall it quickly
Fields had graduated so it woulda been after the state title year.

Was Ralph Woods the older ref? I’m not sure which year this would have been. It looks like South won by two over Corbin in the 07 regional title game. Before that, they were never really close. In 05 they never played as South was still in the 12th.

I did think the game was slipping out of control at a couple of points. Corbin was getting the hometown discount by the refs and It appeared that frustration could have resulted in some hard fouling
I am a bit shocked at the way the game went, after all the preseason hype bestowed on the cards, I expected them to dominate no matter where this game is played. Don't give me that officiating crap either, the upper echelon Coaches in the 13th are getting exactly what they want in officials, never doubt that.
Lamont Sanford Wrote:I am a bit shocked at the way the game went, after all the preseason hype bestowed on the cards, I expected them to dominate no matter where this game is played. Don't give me that officiating crap either, the upper echelon Coaches in the 13th are getting exactly what they want in officials, never doubt that.

Were you at the game? Clean officiating, right?
SL certainly didn’t dominate. But I’ll take a one point win over the wonderful Corbin Ind Schools in any sport.
Congrats South! Anytime you come out of Corbin with a win that's a great night. Have no idea what Tony P. does for the officials but it works at home. Toughest place to get a win in the 13th region period.
Some of the SL kids played a little soft IMO
Lamont Sanford Wrote:I am a bit shocked at the way the game went, after all the preseason hype bestowed on the cards, I expected them to dominate no matter where this game is played. Don't give me that officiating crap either, the upper echelon Coaches in the 13th are getting exactly what they want in officials, never doubt that.

I felt the same way. I was expecting to see the Ramey Cromer show and domination, and left feeling like this region is anyones to win. I wouldn't be satisfied with a 7 point win over Corbin and being down in the fourth.. Corbin is that bad this year.

I am guessing you haven't seen 14th or 15th region officials very much.
Pages: 1 2