Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Betsy Layne To Name Gym After Former Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Legendary Floyd County basketball coach Junior Newsome will be honored Monday night when the new Betsy Layne High School gymnasium is named in his honor.

Newsome, who coached 24 seasons, all but one of those with the Bobcats, finished with 502 career wins.

His teams won the 58th District championship 12 times, two 15th Region titles and three runners-up. Betsy Layne played in 20 regional tournaments while he coaches. His teams appeared in three All “A” Classic state tournaments, winning the 2011 crown.

Newsome was Floyd County Conference Coach of the Year 10 times, 15th Region Coach of the Year twice and was inducted into the Kentucky Association of Basketball Court of Honor in 2012.

Full article at link below

http://ekbsports.com/school-naming-gym-a...Q.facebook
A very deserving honor. When I think of Betsy Layne basketball he is the person I always think of. I do wish it had a dome roof though. I'll miss the DW Howard Fieldhouse as far as District Tournaments and high school games go.
Great Coach , but a better person .
I had him as a PE teacher, and he was actually as assistant football coach for part of my senior year. He always treated me fairly, and I always liked him. I Th I I be has certainly earned this honor.