Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lajes Field
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the Atlantic, knocking on Europe's western shores lies an Island chain known as the Azores. Hard to imagine a more strategic location for the good of this nation. Not to mention the fact that the US ALREADY paid good money to build a state of the art air base located at Terceira Island having occupied same since 1945. The following is an excerpt of a letter written by Devin Nunes to then Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter in 2016. And BTW, don't ever tell yourself that Obama did not have his thumb on every micro-managed cotton picking little detail during his tenure. Ash Carter was as toothless, as Obama was brainless.

The Honorable Ashton Carter
Secretary of Defense
1000 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301

Dear Secretary Carter:

I write to express my deepening concern regarding the strategic posture of U.S. forces at Lajes Field on Terceira Island, Azores, Portugal. As you are aware, Lajes Field is a crucial enable of U.S. operations in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East, and it remains a strategic outpost in the Atlantic to counter increasingly aggressive actions by our adversaries.
https://sputniknews.com/europe/201610141...ores-base/

(The rest of the letter is well worth the read)

But the situation America faces at present, is part and parcel to the level of naïveté with which Washington finds itself presently awash. It would seem that only a precious few in all of federal government understands how asinine it is to fritter away our strategic advantage. The Azores Islands are a must-have for the US if we ever have to respond to an Article 5 call out under the provisions of NATO for example. The Pentagon would darn well like to think they'd have Lajes Field still in our old kit-bag then, I can assure you.

Well, here's the short of it. We're leaving Lajes Field behind, evidently. Just giving up and playing dead owing to funding arguments in Congress. The Dem's want to get shed of the expense, imagine that! Maintaining Lajes Field is critical to our national interests, but no... Dem's have bigger fish to fry; There's free healthcare and free cell phones for illegal immigrants to worry about these days. We Americans can no longer afford Lajes Field. See, Barack Obama told all the rabid chipmunks during one of those much vaunted Democrat happy hours, that large scale war was a thing of the past. No more large scale war, that isn't 21st Century thinking. Isn't liberalism wonderful? One can just sit around and proclaim his own vision of reality, and Voilà!!! Goodbye George Herbert Walker Bush, what I wouldn't give for those of the 'Great Generation' still in good health, to be back in government! They left and we got Elizabeth Warren and Ocasia Cortez. But I digress. The second we leave the Island, guess who's poised to take over as Portugal's prime tenant? Why just China, that's all.

Watching the US implode has been ugly. The average citizen has not really begun to feel the sting of it all yet, but he will. At that point the snot slinging and lament will be equal to the depths of depravity to which America has sunk. How's that transformation working for ya? :notbad:
So while certain among us are concerned with the US departure from the Azores Islands, Russia quietly deploys nuclear capable bombers and support aircraft and equipment, to Venezuela. Nothing like moving the nuclear threat right into our own hemisphere I always say.

But not to worry, it's all good. As a counter-check to this particular reality, and to refocus America's attention on more weighty matters, Barack Obama is still out there promoting his record as the former commander-in-chief. Last night in New York. :igiveup:
^^ Let's just not act like we've got the brains to understand that with China in firm control of the Panama Canal Zone, an already chummy Russia and China could conceivably gain access to the Caribbean Sea and therefore the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans. No biggie, happy hour starts at 5pm according to the imminent Barack. Nuclear submarines anyone? https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201...z2vO1Km800

We see the devastating impact the former President's "stern warning" had on Vladimir Putin. As we see the level of naivete under which he is still burdened.