Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Former Ky high school coach charged
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wow. That reads like a referendum on Sandusky.
Wow. Of course I hope he is given due process, but I doubt he would be arrested without apparent cause. It's a sad story.
Wasn't he the coach at Henderson County that had to resign because one of his players died of heat exhaustion or was that his son Duffer?
Sad
I hate seeing this crap. I feel sorry for those involved. Can’t really say I feel for him but I do for his family, it’s got to be hard especially this time of year. I will give the man some credit, at least he came forward with it.
Westside Wrote:Wasn't he the coach at Henderson County that had to resign because one of his players died of heat exhaustion or was that his son Duffer?

His son Duffer was the Head Coach and Tom was the Assistant there.

The main problem was Tom lied to the investigation that he had taken the heat index and taken precautions. He had not.
Hatz Wrote:His son Duffer was the Head Coach and Tom was the Assistant there.

The main problem was Tom lied to the investigation that he had taken the heat index and taken precautions. He had not.

Not to get off topic, but when I played we didn’t have a heat index rule or anything like that. We practiced in everything aside from lightening and then we went into the field house. But with that said, why didn’t you hear about things like what happened 15 or 20 yr ago? Is it the intensity of practices now or what?
Hound05 Wrote:Not to get off topic, but when I played we didn’t have a heat index rule or anything like that. We practiced in everything aside from lightening and then we went into the field house. But with that said, why didn’t you hear about things like what happened 15 or 20 yr ago? Is it the intensity of practices now or what?

Kids don’t go outside now-, aren’t acclimated
KYHSFB Wrote:Kids don’t go outside now-, aren’t acclimated

That's the first time I've heard that argument, but I've gotta say, it makes sense.
Hound05 Wrote:Not to get off topic, but when I played we didn’t have a heat index rule or anything like that. We practiced in everything aside from lightening and then we went into the field house. But with that said, why didn’t you hear about things like what happened 15 or 20 yr ago? Is it the intensity of practices now or what?

We didn't either. Our coaches used common sense. in the four years of high school football that I played. I remember once we didn't go full pass because it was too hot. We just went helmets and shoulder pads. I don't ever remember thinking, "It 's too hot to practice today" . When you're found and in shape, things like temperature don't affect you as much. As far as these allegations, I hope they aren't true.

Never thought Of it that way. But it’s true. Sadly. But i specifically remember having practice well up in the 90s like it was a normal day. And to my knowledge I’ve only seen one with a heat stroke.
I once had the complete displeasure of spending a full hour in the company of Tom Duffy back in the late ‘80’s...until I met Bobby Petrino in the early 2000’s, he was easily the most egotistical, unpleasant and self-absorbed buffoon I had ever met in organized sports.

Maybe there is some validity to this karma thing, after all.
Westside Wrote:We didn't either. Our coaches used common sense. in the four years of high school football that I played. I remember once we didn't go full pass because it was too hot. We just went helmets and shoulder pads. I don't ever remember thinking, "It 's too hot to practice today" . When you're found and in shape, things like temperature don't affect you as much. As far as these allegations, I hope they aren't true.

In 4 years of high school football we never once practiced indoors or skipped full pads because of heat. I only seen 3 kids taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion during that time but nowadays that would be a huge deal.
We were still playing under the old days where water breaks were rewards for working extra hard, not something whenever you want it.

I'm glad to see that science has found its way to football in instances like that. I dont want my kids playing in those kind of conditions. It's been proven you should drink as much water as you want as often as you can as long as you dont make yourself sick. Anytime you need a squirt of water there should be a girl or trainer there to give you a shot.

Who knew it would actually make you practice better instead of having dry mouth in 100 degree heat for 3 hours
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Anytime you need a squirt of water there should be a girl or trainer there to give you a shot.

I totally agree! It should be state law! And not just for football either. Mowing the yard, “baby I need a shot!” Sitting on the couch, “baby I need a shot”. Haha
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:In 4 years of high school football we never once practiced indoors or skipped full pads because of heat. I only seen 3 kids taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion during that time but nowadays that would be a huge deal.
We were still playing under the old days where water breaks were rewards for working extra hard, not something whenever you want it.

I'm glad to see that science has found its way to football in instances like that. I dont want my kids playing in those kind of conditions. It's been proven you should drink as much water as you want as often as you can as long as you dont make yourself sick. Anytime you need a squirt of water there should be a girl or trainer there to give you a shot.

Who knew it would actually make you practice better instead of having dry mouth in 100 degree heat for 3 hours

Don't forget the salt tablets that were given out by coaches. This whole situation is sad.

I couldn't imagine practices being more intense.
that's for sure.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:In 4 years of high school football we never once practiced indoors or skipped full pads because of heat. I only seen 3 kids taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion during that time but nowadays that would be a huge deal.

I never did understand being punished by being made to wait to get water. dehydration is serious business.
Hound05 Wrote:I totally agree! It should be state law! And not just for football either. Mowing the yard, “baby I need a shot!” Sitting on the couch, “baby I need a shot”. Haha

^Confusednicker:
I agree that kids just don't get acclimated anymore. As a farm kid, we worked in tobacco and hay all summer and not just at home, but, for the neighbors as well for pocket money. Three bucks an hour for hay work and minor tobacco work and five or six bucks and hour for housing and cutting. You sometimes worked for some cheapskates only once after they would stop for lunch and make you split a 16 ounce Pepsi that was used to wash down a dry bologna sandwich with no cheese or dressing. This after no water was made available all morning. It was just the way of us back then to do that sort of work and I rode a bicycle everywhere around my home for three miles. I couldn't outlift the weight room monsters that stayed in there pumping steel, but, I could kick their asses on the field and especially in the fourth quarter after playing both ways the whole game.
We had ONE water break mid practice and there was two coolers full of ice and water that there was a stampede to get to those cooolers. I drank more than one bug and blade of grass where people would gulp down the first cup of water then cram hand, cup and all into the cooler of ice water to get a second and then sit down for ten minutes nursing that one.
If this is found to be true, Duffy needs to be put in a cell with Turner Brown and Ben Dover. Children abusers are scum.

Just for reference, the last kid in KY that died from Heat Exhaustion did so on a cloudy day that the temp was 78 degrees.
papagrit Wrote:I agree that kids just don't get acclimated anymore. As a farm kid, we worked in tobacco and hay all summer and not just at home, but, for the neighbors as well for pocket money. Three bucks an hour for hay work and minor tobacco work and five or six bucks and hour for housing and cutting. You sometimes worked for some cheapskates only once after they would stop for lunch and make you split a 16 ounce Pepsi that was used to wash down a dry bologna sandwich with no cheese or dressing. This after no water was made available all morning. It was just the way of us back then to do that sort of work and I rode a bicycle everywhere around my home for three miles. I couldn't outlift the weight room monsters that stayed in there pumping steel, but, I could kick their asses on the field and especially in the fourth quarter after playing both ways the whole game.
We had ONE water break mid practice and there was two coolers full of ice and water that there was a stampede to get to those cooolers. I drank more than one bug and blade of grass where people would gulp down the first cup of water then cram hand, cup and all into the cooler of ice water to get a second and then sit down for ten minutes nursing that one.
If this is found to be true, Duffy needs to be put in a cell with Turner Brown and Ben Dover. Children abusers are scum.

Run a few more laps or practice for another an hour then you can have a drink of water. We were well conditioned for sure. I completely agree with you on the scum. They ruin the kids' lives.
Westside Wrote:Don't forget the salt tablets that were given out by coaches. This whole situation is sad.

Lol we never got salt tablets but I do remember having potassium pills readily available to prevent cramping.
Funny story was my soph or junior year late 90s or 00 it was miserable. We had an old temp reader outside the locker room and it read 99 for about 4 or 5 straight two a day practices. We later realized the only reason it didnt go higher was because 99 was as high as itd go. A couple of younger kids started struggling especially after a couple of weeks and cotton Adams told them sugar cubes would cure them Confusednicker:
Gitback Coach Wrote:I once had the complete displeasure of spending a full hour in the company of Tom Duffy back in the late ‘80’s...until I met Bobby Petrino in the early 2000’s, he was easily the most egotistical, unpleasant and self-absorbed buffoon I had ever met in organized sports.

Maybe there is some validity to this karma thing, after all.

To get back on topic, since this story came out I have talked to several people that knew him. This opinion seems to be the consensus. I guess the fact that many of his teams, even the great ones, had historically low numbers for their programs is telling.
RoShamBo Wrote:To get back on topic, since this story came out I have talked to several people that knew him. This opinion seems to be the consensus. I guess the fact that many of his teams, even the great ones, had historically low numbers for their programs is telling.

As I’ve said for years. Tom was a great coach. Not a great person.
RoShamBo Wrote:To get back on topic, since this story came out I have talked to several people that knew him. This opinion seems to be the consensus. I guess the fact that many of his teams, even the great ones, had historically low numbers for their programs is telling.

A friend of mine was an assistant under Duffy at Danville. He told me years ago that Duffy only wanted about 25 kids on a team.
Rip/Spin Wrote:A friend of mine was an assistant under Duffy at Danville. He told me years ago that Duffy only wanted about 25 kids on a team.

I heard that as well. I was told his first day at Henderson 79 kids came out for football and he told them to start running and didn't let them stop until there were only 35 left.
RoShamBo Wrote:I heard that as well. I was told his first day at Henderson 79 kids came out for football and he told them to start running and didn't let them stop until there were only 35 left.

Wow! A person never knows what really goes on. I always associated the guy's name with championship caliber football. I remember when Duffer took over from him as head coach down there and it was hailed as handing over the mantle of leadership from a legend.
Now look at the mess.
I hope, if it's true about what happened with the kid, that the kid grew up without too much mental scarring.
Rip/Spin Wrote:A friend of mine was an assistant under Duffy at Danville. He told me years ago that Duffy only wanted about 25 kids on a team.

His teams were tough as nails. He was brutal but pretty much loved by the survivors.

I will say this that he won old AAA in 1984 with a 27 man roster. They went 13-0 and gave up an average of 5 points a game on the season.
Pages: 1 2