Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Horrible Appeal Call In Estill/powell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Estill came back from 4-0 to win 8-4...BUT
in the bottom of the second, Estill had
runners on first and third. The runner at
first broke toward second...the pitcher threw
to second...a "hot box" ensued...the runner
from third broke to home, bang/bang play at
the plate, with the catcher making a sweep tag
of the runner. Umpire at home says, "Safe."
Powell asks for an appeal; FROM BEHIND SECOND
BASE, the umpire yells, "Out." Estill's

coach goes ballistic and gets tossed. Why
does the homeplate umpire allow the appeal?
Why doesn't he say, "Nope...that's my call."
Why does the umpire over one hundred feet away
overrule? Ridiculous...the kind of stuff that
gives the 14th region a miserable reputation.
Wasn't 14th region officials. They were Bluegrass offiicials and almost always are when you play at Estill. So before you slander the 14th you might want to realize that. I guess that's what gives the 10th such a miserable reputation. I agree it was a sorry call, a sorry appeal and a sorry override but the right call was made. The kid was tagged and was out. However, when the official made the call he should have stuck with it. Good or bad. This is the second year in a row that the same official has made a questionable call that could have effected the game. By the way the call was made from about 70 feet and not a hundred.
what next Wrote:Wasn't 14th region officials. They were Bluegrass offiicials and almost always are when you play at Estill. So before you slander the 14th you might want to realize that. I guess that's what gives the 10th such a miserable reputation. I agree it was a sorry call, a sorry appeal and a sorry override but the right call was made. The kid was tagged and was out. However, when the official made the call he should have stuck with it. Good or bad. This is the second year in a row that the same official has made a questionable call that could have effected the game. By the way the call was made from about 70 feet and not a hundred.
You are correct. Those were Bluegrass officials. I've never seen a homeplate umpire appeal to anyone on a play at the plate. WIth that said, congrats to Estill for not letting the call and their coach being ejected effect their play. Good comeback and good win.
i agree no way 2nd base umpire can see a play at plate better than home plate ump.
Bluegrass officials. Rolleyes
If a ump is blocked he makes no call. He appeals and not the other team, and he does it quickly. If he makes a call then he needs to stay with it.
It wasn't like the ump was out of position, but from the view he had, he couldn't see the tag.From where the ump was BEHIND THE PITCHER MOUND , he had a perfect view of the tag and was able to make the right call.no problem with what happened.
The right call was made
I completely blew a call.....only once...lol.
I didn't see the play and prematurely called the runner safe(cause I didn't see it.) I should have appealed to the home ump, but in haste, didn't. Anyway, the fielding team's coach wanted me to appeal the call, And I told them, that I couldn't, because I had already made a call on the play and therefor it became non-appealable. I told them that I obviously blew the call, but we all had to live with the blown call.
all_region_player Wrote:The right call was made
Nope....Once a player is called out, or safe, then that is final and cannot be appealed. it was a judgement call, rule calls can be appealed.
So, by allowing the appeal, that was wrong.
Missing the point. Once the home plate umpire made the call it should have never been overturned. If he had asked for help and it was agreed that a tag was actually made and then he made the call. Great officiating. However, in this case it was bad because it should have never been appealled to the base umpire after the call was made. Coach wood should have been upset with the home plate official and not the guy in the field.
This sounds pretty bush league to me.
Stop complaining, its baseball, the umps are human, leave them alone, atleast they paid attention to the game unlike a certain ump at the jbs powell game last night. Umps are there to help make the right call, its their job, its what they get paid to do. Yeah they will miss a couple of calls, but its all part of the game. This is why baseball needs more than 2 umps at every game, khsaa needs to send out 4 like they do in the post season to make sure these kinds of things dont happen. And how is it bush league when the second ump overturned it when he was asked to, everyone had their own view on the play, and he was out and the second ump saw it when the home plate ump didnt, plain and simple he needed an other opinion, and he got it. what was bush league was when Estill's coach came out and grabbed and pushed the ump. that was bush league. but its over, powell will win come district.
stroked Wrote:Stop complaining, its baseball, the umps are human, leave them alone, atleast they paid attention to the game unlike a certain ump at the jbs powell game last night. Umps are there to help make the right call, its their job, its what they get paid to do. Yeah they will miss a couple of calls, but its all part of the game. This is why baseball needs more than 2 umps at every game, khsaa needs to send out 4 like they do in the post season to make sure these kinds of things dont happen. And how is it bush league when the second ump overturned it when he was asked to, everyone had their own view on the play, and he was out and the second ump saw it when the home plate ump didnt, plain and simple he needed an other opinion, and he got it. what was bush league was when Estill's coach came out and grabbed and pushed the ump. that was bush league. but its over, powell will win come district.
The bush part is that he wasn't supposed to be allowed to.
I didn't know Estill used Bluegrass Umpires... How does Estill, a member of
the 14th, not use 14th region umpires? I would think that at least for
14th region games, a district game no less, that 14th region umpires would
have to be used? Anybody got any info on this?