Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: week 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Its interesting to look at who coaches choose to play week 10. Basically 3 options.
A. Keep it open. Play through the season and save the bye week for last.
B. Play a power. Test yourself in a fun game because week 1 of the playoffs will be a slam dunk.
C. Play a cupcake. I need a win bro, or I want to keep it safe, no injuries, and not have to break a sweat before the playoffs start.

Belfry vs Johnson Central come to mind for B.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Its interesting to look at who coaches choose to play week 10. Basically 3 options.
A. Keep it open. Play through the season and save the bye week for last.
B. Play a power. Test yourself in a fun game because week 1 of the playoffs will be a slam dunk.
C. Play a cupcake. I need a win bro, or I want to keep it safe, no injuries, and not have to break a sweat before the playoffs start.

Belfry vs Johnson Central come to mind for B.

Corbin vs Knox Central another good one. B
If you're bad, either keep it open and end your season a week early or schedule a worse team to make your record a little better.

If you're good, basically all 3 options are in play. Take a week off officially and get healthy, schedule a bad team to cruise and hopefully get healthy. Or give yourself a good test to make sure you're ready for a stretch run.

I don't think you ultimately have to schedule tough for week 10, because by then you should already be playing at a pretty high level.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:If you're bad, either keep it open and end your season a week early or schedule a worse team to make your record a little better.

If you're good, basically all 3 options are in play. Take a week off officially and get healthy, schedule a bad team to cruise and hopefully get healthy. Or give yourself a good test to make sure you're ready for a stretch run.

I don't think you ultimately have to schedule tough for week 10, because by then you should already be playing at a pretty high level.

I concur. If you aren’t where you need to be by week 10 then one game isn’t going to make a difference. I could see a “middle of the road” team, Someone that’s maybe 2nd/3rd in the district with a lot of potential that could knock off a big boy going through the motions, pick up some momentum and confidence in the last game for a good playoff run. But to me the cons outweigh the pros for a big dawg scheduling tough in week 10
Hound05 Wrote:I concur. If you aren’t where you need to be by week 10 then one game isn’t going to make a difference. I could see a “middle of the road” team, Someone that’s maybe 2nd/3rd in the district with a lot of potential that could knock off a big boy going through the motions, pick up some momentum and confidence in the last game for a good playoff run. But to me the cons outweigh the pros for a big dawg scheduling tough in week 10

I personally would use week 10 as my bye. If I'm out of the post season, then a bad season ended quicker. And any other time, I've got an extra week of post season prep that I can do, especially if I'm an ambitious 3rd seed.
Or in Julians world you could be 0-10. Wish the season was over but take a bye week off and then go get hammered by a 1 seed in 2 weeks.
Playing a local rival is s good way to end the season.
and if your really bad just have a drink and thank god basketball is just a handful of weeks away.
Ashland has had their bye week 10 most of the last 12-15 years. They had a 2 year stretch where they had the bye week 0. By far like the week 10 bye. Can get everyone healthy going into the playoffs and get the kids a few extra days off from the grind. One of those 2 week 0 bye years we lost 2 D1 players in a meaningless game that cost us a chance for a deep playoff run.
Lets look at last years state champions and what the did week 10.

Beechwood played NCC
Danville OFF
Boyle played Mercer
Franklin Simpson played Russelville
Cov Cath played Campbell County
Trinity OFF