Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: East side Big 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With all the talk over the "Big 4" on the east side who are widely considered the favorites to represent in Lexington this year, I got curious as to the consistency of the programs year over year, so I went and did a little digging. Based on KHSAA records, here is what I've found for each team (including this year), since 1990. Gonna list alphabetically so no one thinks I'm biased or listing the best school first. Lol:

Hazard: 261- 95 (73% win percentage overall. Best decade is current one at 79%) 3 finals appearances 1 championship

Paintsville: 199-137 (59% overall, best decade is current one at 64%)

Pikeville: 276-100 (73% overall, best decade 90-99 with 79%) 2 finals appearances, 1 championship

Raceland: 224-117 (66% overall, best decade is current at 70%) 1 state finals appearance

These 4 programs have been a model of consistency for nearly 3 decades now, and allowing for a few down years here and there among each of them I think it's easy to see why they are atop the rankings and considerations year after year for contenders in 1A. Just some interesting numbers there.
PHSForever Wrote:With all the talk over the "Big 4" on the east side who are widely considered the favorites to represent in Lexington this year, I got curious as to the consistency of the programs year over year, so I went and did a little digging. Based on KHSAA records, here is what I've found for each team (including this year), since 1990. Gonna list alphabetically so no one thinks I'm biased or listing the best school first. Lol:

Hazard: 261- 95 (73% win percentage overall. Best decade is current one at 79%) 3 finals appearances 1 championship

Paintsville: 199-137 (59% overall, best decade is current one at 64%)

Pikeville: 276-100 (73% overall, best decade 90-99 with 79%) 2 finals appearances, 1 championship

Raceland: 224-17 (66% overall, best decade is current at 70%) 1 state finals appearance

These 4 programs have been a model of consistency for nearly 3 decades now, and allowing for a few down years here and there among each of them I think it's easy to see why they are atop the rankings and considerations year after year for contenders in 1A. Just some interesting numbers there.

Is that 17 beside Raceland right? Or should it be something else?
That's a mistake bc raceland went 1-9 in 2000, lost 5 games last year, and 3 in 2016. That loss total is already at 17.
But, without question these 4 teams have been tops year in and year out in the recent alignment. If ur looking at the last decade, LCA was in 1A for apart of that from 2008-2010 with the Lucas Whitt, Brandon Burnett, and Dominique Hayden group. They had a big TE that transfered in from I think Hazard that was a big factor for that group as well. Question for the Hazard folks. How long has it been since an Olinger was playin football? Seems like they had one on the team for 20 years.
Maxpreps has a dynasty list that goes back to 2003. I like to look at teams records vs good teams. In that time frame the program records are as follows:
Hazard 24-36
Raceland 23-44
Pikeville 24-50
Paintsville 18-32

Last 5 years:
Paintsville 17-9
Raceland 15-16
Pikeville 12-13
Hazard 6-14
bac2369 Wrote:Is that 17 beside Raceland right? Or should it be something else?
Should be 117. Typo
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:That's a mistake bc raceland went 1-9 in 2000, lost 5 games last year, and 3 in 2016. That loss total is already at 17.
It is a mistake. 117 is the correct loss total
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:But, without question these 4 teams have been tops year in and year out in the recent alignment. If ur looking at the last decade, LCA was in 1A for apart of that from 2008-2010 with the Lucas Whitt, Brandon Burnett, and Dominique Hayden group. They had a big TE that transfered in from I think Hazard that was a big factor for that group as well. Question for the Hazard folks. How long has it been since an Olinger was playin football? Seems like they had one on the team for 20 years.

Don’t forget that Raceland was also in the NKY region with Beechwood and NCC until 2006. Up until that point Raceland rarely ever won a post season game and in many years the #4 team in the other district would beat our district champion. Moving out of that region was the best gift that Rams could have ever received.
I think the building job Paintsville has done over the last 6-7 years is amazing. We're quick to forget, a Kash Daniels member team, lost to Jenkins not to long ago....
Orange Blaze Wrote:Don’t forget that Raceland was also in the NKY region with Beechwood and NCC until 2006. Up until that point Raceland rarely ever won a post season game and in many years the #4 team in the other district would beat our district champion. Moving out of that region was the best gift that Rams could have ever received.

We sure found ourselves at the end of some ass whoopins that's for sure. There were years we found a win, or were competitive, but there were alot kr extremely lopsided losses in those days. Not just for Raceland, but the other schools in our district as well
From 2003 till now I think Williamsburg has to be in this discussion too. Before that is a different story, but they’ve been in the mix every year since then with a couple state runner ups to show for it.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:From 2003 till now I think Williamsburg has to be in this discussion too. Before that is a different story, but they’ve been in the mix every year since then with a couple state runner ups to show for it.

Hazard 24-36
Raceland 23-44
Pikeville 24-50
Paintsville 18-32
Williamsburg 8-30
Iam4thecats Wrote:Maxpreps has a dynasty list that goes back to 2003. I like to look at teams records vs good teams. In that time frame the program records are as follows:
Hazard 24-36
Raceland 23-44
Pikeville 24-50
Paintsville 18-32

Last 5 years:
Paintsville 17-9
Raceland 15-16
Pikeville 12-13

Hazard 6-14

What are these teams record playing each other during this time period ????
Pikeville is favorite in the east this year IMO
Real Badman Wrote:I think the building job Paintsville has done over the last 6-7 years is amazing. We're quick to forget, a Kash Daniels member team, lost to Jenkins not to long ago....

His freshman year
JerryGarcia Wrote:What are these teams record playing each other during this time period ????
I have no idea. The data is not sortable that way.
How long has it been since anybody but Mayfield or Beechwood have come out of the West?
NCC...and before that I’m gonna guess a Bardstown????
E's Army Wrote:How long has it been since anybody but Mayfield or Beechwood have come out of the West?

In the early part of the 2000s, Beechwood, Newport Central Catholic and Lexington Christian were all in the east. 1999 Hancock County came out of the west, Harrodsburg did in 97 & 96.
Danville was apart of the West a few times.
Real Badman Wrote:Danville was apart of the West a few times.

I was counting Danville with Beechwood and Mayfield, a usual suspect.