Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Most disappointing/unexpected teams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As the regular season nears completion and the playoff come nearer and nearer, i look to see who has played better or worse than predicted. i'm curious as to who you guys have found to be good and bad. Me personally, i think Clinton County has been an unexpected team this season. Thoughts?
The disappointment for me this year by far is Trinity. I know teams fall off, but damn, not straight off the cliff! It's usually not this fast of a decline. My surprise team is also in 6A. Frederick Douglas. The same here. Consolidation schools usually take a couple of years to make a playoff run. These kids said the hell with that. Let's just do it now! One more surprise team to me is Bell County. I didnt think they'd be as good as they are this year either.
North Hardin is much better than I thought they were. Last season we beat them 56-10 but this year was 21-14. Weather conditions and our injuries aside, NH is a damn good football team.
Collins has had a disappointing season. Several returning starters but looks losing their QB was super critical to their success.
Danville has been a disappointment. I mean they lost Mr. Football for 2017 and I know that is big but they returned a lot of linemen and their starting QB. Plus they have one of the larger squads in terms of shear numbers they have ever had. Around 20 Sr's also. I thought they would struggle early with a tough schedule and get better as the season went along but things just haven't progressed as I thought they would. Happens to every team from time to time where things just never click and I guess this is their year for that.
#55PirateFan Wrote:The disappointment for me this year by far is Trinity. I know teams fall off, but damn, not straight off the cliff! It's usually not this fast of a decline. My surprise team is also in 6A. Frederick Douglas. The same here. Consolidation schools usually take a couple of years to make a playoff run. These kids said the hell with that. Let's just do it now! One more surprise team to me is Bell County. I didnt think they'd be as good as they are this year either.
Those would be my picks. I love watching FD On the internet. Trinity has shocked me as well. I though they were just down nationally. But man they are really DOWN. bell county people will probably skin me alive, but.... they are a good team. Not a solid team though. You take away that #4 and they would be about the same as last year. Very one dimensional offense.
FoSho Wrote:North Hardin is much better than I thought they were. Last season we beat them 56-10 but this year was 21-14. Weather conditions and our injuries aside, NH is a damn good football team.

It’s funny you said that. Because I’m about 3/4 the way through watching that game tonight. They have a solid QB. Kid has an arm and looked to have good vision. I think his timing looked off that game though. Might have and probably was the soft field. Their defense didn’t really impress me though. You have to at least bump the WRs from Boyle and mess with the timing or it’s gonna be a long game. I have yet to see it on here at all. I didn’t realize how close this game actually was until watching it. NH had several guys wide open and the QB just missed timed or over threw on some. But they def have a good offense. Their defense to me, looked like a coaching issue not a player issue. Overall a decent team though
#55PirateFan Wrote:The disappointment for me this year by far is Trinity. I know teams fall off, but damn, not straight off the cliff! It's usually not this fast of a decline. My surprise team is also in 6A. Frederick Douglas. The same here. Consolidation schools usually take a couple of years to make a playoff run. These kids said the hell with that. Let's just do it now! One more surprise team to me is Bell County. I didnt think they'd be as good as they are this year either.

64black&gold Wrote:Danville has been a disappointment. I mean they lost Mr. Football for 2017 and I know that is big but they returned a lot of linemen and their starting QB. Plus they have one of the larger squads in terms of shear numbers they have ever had. Around 20 Sr's also. I thought they would struggle early with a tough schedule and get better as the season went along but things just haven't progressed as I thought they would. Happens to every team from time to time where things just never click and I guess this is their year for that.

This and I would add Monroe Co who was expected to be better
Hound05 Wrote:It’s funny you said that. Because I’m about 3/4 the way through watching that game tonight. They have a solid QB. Kid has an arm and looked to have good vision. I think his timing looked off that game though. Might have and probably was the soft field. Their defense didn’t really impress me though. You have to at least bump the WRs from Boyle and mess with the timing or it’s gonna be a long game. I have yet to see it on here at all. I didn’t realize how close this game actually was until watching it. NH had several guys wide open and the QB just missed timed or over threw on some. But they def have a good offense. Their defense to me, looked like a coaching issue not a player issue. Overall a decent team though

The wet field had a huge impact on the passing game after the first qtr and the field got sloppy.

They moved the ball with some broken plays but are very athletic at some positions. We moved the ball at will between the 20's but didn't execute well in the red zone. I still say on a dry field it's a comfortable Boyle win. On a side note: this may have been the worst officiated game I've ever seen. Total incompetence by the lead official.

The fact North Hardin backed up their performance vs us with a close game vs DeSales is a testament to their improvement as a team.

My thing was regardless of our injuries and the field conditions, NH is vastly improved over that pitiful performance @ Boyle in 2017.
I can't remember the last time Trinity was ever down, but they are still ranked #24 in the State? Danville has been worse than expected.. 23 State Championships for Trinity is off the charts.. South Warren, Anderson County, and Southwestern in 5A are all undefeated this year.. Frederick Douglas is undefeated in 6A...Bell County, North Hardin, and Clark County are among the most improved teams as well..
Lynn Camp unexpected. 8-0 most points scored in 1A and least given up.
Most disappointing team is Middlesboro and North Laurel. I’m excited about basketball and the Jackets
Just hard to fathom how the Fort Campbell football program went from being a perennial dominant power to its current status in just a few years. Probably more attributable to HC Shawn Berner leaving than anything else. Berner knew how to get the athletes. Under his leadership, FC won three state championships, produced two Mr. Footballs and recorded 112 wins in 11 years.
Tica Wrote:Just hard to fathom how the Fort Campbell football program went from being a perennial dominant power to its current status in just a few years. Probably more attributable to HC Shawn Berner leaving than anything else. Berner knew how to get the athletes. Under his leadership, FC won three state championships, produced two Mr. Footballs and recorded 112 wins in 11 years.

Very true, forgot about the Falcons woes. They have such turnover though and that has to contribute in good and bad ways
Tica Wrote:Just hard to fathom how the Fort Campbell football program went from being a perennial dominant power to its current status in just a few years. Probably more attributable to HC Shawn Berner leaving than anything else. Berner knew how to get the athletes. Under his leadership, FC won three state championships, produced two Mr. Footballs and recorded 112 wins in 11 years.

I think looking at the enrollment at the school has a lot to do with it, as well. The last time I saw the numbers, Fort Campbell was losing students at a rate that was almost double that of the next one.

Although, it does feel weird knowing who they used to be, and what they are now.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I think looking at the enrollment at the school has a lot to do with it, as well. The last time I saw the numbers, Fort Campbell was losing students at a rate that was almost double that of the next one.

Although, it does feel weird knowing who they used to be, and what they are now.

Used to be in the sense of history as well. Ft Campbell was also one of the premier programs in the state during the late 70's and early 80's.
E's Army Wrote:Lynn Camp unexpected. 8-0 most points scored in 1A and least given up.

I second this. Lynn camp isn't a world beater yet. But if they get a win over williamsburg, they should have a good run in the playoffs.

Prestonsburg has disappointed me this year. I expected at minimum 2 more wins than what they have.

Bell is better than expected.
MountainSports Wrote:I second this. Lynn camp isn't a world beater yet. But if they get a win over williamsburg, they should have a good run in the playoffs.

Prestonsburg has disappointed me this year. I expected at minimum 2 more wins than what they have.

Bell is better than expected.

Lynn Camp isn't even a team with a pulse beater yet. If they do beat Williamsburg they get a bye and then lose their first playoff game to Hazard.
Hatz Wrote:Used to be in the sense of history as well. Ft Campbell was also one of the premier programs in the state during the late 70's and early 80's.

It's like that really pretty girl in high school who got into drugs and crime as an adult, and now she just looks like a dump truck. Everybody who knows, remembers what she was, and it's getting harder and harder to connect that with what she is.
Clark County has impressed me after the way they started the season.
Hopkinsville is pretty disappointing. Lot of hype based on their little playoff run last year has evaporated pretty quick.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:Hopkinsville is pretty disappointing. Lot of hype based on their little playoff run last year has evaporated pretty quick.

Whe your qb is young and he gets hurt and there is no one behind him its hard to win.
7-1 Crittenden County (1A) is doing better than most people had predicted. One tough loss to Caldwell County.
FoSho Wrote:The wet field had a huge impact on the passing game after the first qtr and the field got sloppy.

They moved the ball with some broken plays but are very athletic at some positions. We moved the ball at will between the 20's but didn't execute well in the red zone. I still say on a dry field it's a comfortable Boyle win. On a side note: this may have been the worst officiated game I've ever seen. Total incompetence by the lead official.

The fact North Hardin backed up their performance vs us with a close game vs DeSales is a testament to their improvement as a team.

My thing was regardless of our injuries and the field conditions, NH is vastly improved over that pitiful performance @ Boyle in 2017.

Yea I can’t really comment on the officiating because the version I watched was condensed. There were several times that I wondered why in the world they were backed up several yards after a big play.
jetpilot Wrote:Lynn Camp isn't even a team with a pulse beater yet. If they do beat Williamsburg they get a bye and then lose their first playoff game to Hazard.

This is fact. It seems like no matter how special of a team they have. They can never get over the jump in that regard
Hound05 Wrote:Yea I can’t really comment on the officiating because the version I watched was condensed. There were several times that I wondered why in the world they were backed up several yards after a big play.

You didn't miss anything, in fact, you might have wanted to claw your own eyes out.

Keep in mind I'm not saying the refs were bias toward Boyle. They were bad all the way around.
All of NKY football minus Cov Cath. Its bad, very bad football. So many programs going backwards.
plantmanky Wrote:All of NKY football minus Cov Cath. Its bad, very bad football. So many programs going backwards.

Highlands is far from going backwards! They are definitely on a upswing over last several years. I agree with all being bad except can’t lump Highlands in that group. Showed last week they can play probably with anyone in the state
sstack Wrote:Highlands is far from going backwards! They are definitely on a upswing over last several years. I agree with all being bad except can’t lump Highlands in that group. Showed last week they can play probably with anyone in the state

Id buy that if Highlands was playing any sort of a competitive schedule.
Is Beechwood still in Northern Kentucky? They are not bad.
Pages: 1 2