Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Fyffe Strikes out 20 in loss
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Matt Fyffe strikes out 20 batters in a loss to Rowan Co. I just wonder how many kids have struck out 20 batters and lost.
I would assume none. That's absolutely amazing that he struck out that many in a 7 inning game.
UNREAL..AND LOSS..And I always thought lme osing on a 1-hitter with 15 K's were bad..FYFFE My friend..You've got me beat on this one!
That's amazing! Fyffe is an excellent pitcher. Too bad such an outstanding pitching performance came with a loss. Congrats, Matt.
Excellant! WTG!!!
(So tell us... how many others have equaled that)
If this was a 7 inning game then it has happed 7 times before. In a loss, I don't know.
Beef Wrote:If this was a 7 inning game then it has happed 7 times before. In a loss, I don't know.

The funny thing is that the run that scored came on a strikeout! Catcher drops third strike and reaches base. Then two throwing errors allowed the runner to get to third and then a double steal allowed the only run to score. JC missed many opportunities to score leaving the bases loaded with no outs and failed to score. I would say they left 12-15 runners on base. Great job Matt. Keep throwing the way you have!:thumpsup:
wow, hate to hear this...awesome job matt!!!
bad day for bats for the eagles. hopefully we can get a bright young star in jeremy stacy back in to the swing of things soon. his bat opens many others counts for other bats.
That still is an awesome (and I don't use that word very often) feat!
PonyExpress Wrote:bad day for bats for the eagles. hopefully we can get a bright young star in jeremy stacy back in to the swing of things soon. his bat opens many others counts for other bats.
Well.....me or you one, must be drunk as I can't understand what the heck you are saying!

Great performance Matt!!!!
How does that happen?
that must mean some one hit a home run...or somethin because would be 21 batters in 7 innings.
all_region_player Wrote:that must mean some one hit a home run...or somethin because would be 21 batters in 7 innings.
Not really, It means that 20 of the 21 outs were via the strikeout.
Guru I'm not sure on this rule, but if you strike a kid out and he reaches base after the catcher drops the ball or gets by him, the K goes on the pitchers count total, but not an out in the inning. Is that correct?
so what was the score
The score was 1-0. The very first batter topped a gound ball that rolled 10feet in front of the plate. There was alittle indesision between the catcher and Fyffe, ruled a hit. Fyffe then picked that batter off of first. Out number one of twenty one. During the game there was a 5 to 3 ground out. Out number two of twenty one. The rest of the outs recorded were stikeouts. One of the stike outs (20 in all) was a passed ball that allowed the runner to reach first base. Two throwing errors and a double steal latter its a 1-0 ball game.
Yes Grizz the pitcher gets the K but the runner reaches first
Outstanding pitching performance!! The best I have ever witnessed. And this was against a GOOD!! team. You could see frustration in Matt toward the end, but who wouldn't be. A great pitching performance like that and come away with a loss had to be tough.

But Matt is a great pitcher and he will come back strong next game for sure. Hopefully the team will get the bats going a little better.
John Smith of Harlan struck out 21 batters against Claiborne, TN in a 6-0 earlier this year. Why this did not get much attention I don't know. Fyffe is a much better pitcher than Smith but on that day Smith was nearly perfect.

Back in the late 1960's (1968?) a guy from Lafayette lost to Manual 2-1 and struck out 20. I think his name was Gary or Steve Tingle. I think. In 1989, DeSales played Valley in the 6th region baseball tournament and Damon Simpson of DeSales struck out 25 in a 12 inning marathon. That game in particular forced the KHSAA to change the pitching rules because the next night...Simpson came back to pitch against PRP and had nothing and it really hurt him physically. Fyffe is the best pitcher in the 15th region since Heath Castle in my opinion. Heath got better after high school as any good player does. Clay Salyer pitched at Hazard in the early 2000's and was very much dominating in the majority of his outings.
Mr. Baseball Wrote:John Smith of Harlan struck out 21 batters against Claiborne, TN in a 6-0 earlier this year. Why this did not get much attention I don't know. Fyffe is a much better pitcher than Smith but on that day Smith was nearly perfect.

Back in the late 1960's (1968?) a guy from Lafayette lost to Manual 2-1 and struck out 20. I think his name was Gary or Steve Tingle. I think. In 1989, DeSales played Valley in the 6th region baseball tournament and Damon Simpson of DeSales struck out 25 in a 12 inning marathon. That game in particular forced the KHSAA to change the pitching rules because the next night...Simpson came back to pitch against PRP and had nothing and it really hurt him physically. Fyffe is the best pitcher in the 15th region since Heath Castle in my opinion. Heath got better after high school as any good player does. Clay Salyer pitched at Hazard in the early 2000's and was very much dominating in the majority of his outings.
He may very well be, but you need to take into consideration that you are excluding Chaz Harmon with that statement. You also will have a hard time overshadowing what Adam Blanton accomplished in 2004 during his junior season. Hard to say how he would have done his senior year had he not broken his back. What he did had never been done in the last 53 years of 15th region history, except for what a couple of Paintsville pitchers did now approaching 20 years ago.