Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What Are Your Favorite Pizza Joints?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, I'm asking for at least two pizza places here. The first is what is favorite major chain pizza place? Secondly, what is your favorite mom and pop pizza place?
My favorite major pizza chain place is Pizza Hut. They have gone down hill big time over the years, but I guess my memories of the past still make me like them. I loved their Super Supreme pizza. My second choice is Pizza Den that used to be at Ivel, Ky and now is at Banner, Ky. It is a franchise of Giovannis. I have not tried it since it has relocated. The old location had maybe 8-10 booths so it was small. I always liked their pepperoni, ham, and sausage pizza. The lady that managed the Ivel location was our next door neighbor. She always took care of me when I went there. Sadly, she died at a way too young of an age a few months ago.
Major is Pizza Hut, it’s just wonderful at times and if you can still find one with a buffet. My off chain would Be Godfathers New York Style pizza in Pigeon Forge . To die for . One of the best mom and pop Pizza places in Kentucky is Pizza Stop. Terrific food . https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/kentucky...nts-in-ky/
I don't really have a favorite major chain. I used to love Pizza Hut but the last time we ordered from there, you could hold a piece of pizza up and grease would drip from it.

The Portal is a locally owned restaurant in Harlan city. It has great pizza!!
Granny Bear Wrote:I don't really have a favorite major chain. I used to love Pizza Hut but the last time we ordered from there, you could hold a piece of pizza up and grease would drip from it.

The Portal is a locally owned restaurant in Harlan city. It has great pizza!!

The more grease the better, Granny Bear.
Chains - Donatos, Little Caesars

Mom & Pop - Riverfront pizza in Covington.
Chains: Marco's, Jet's, GoodFella's and Mellow Mushroom

Lexington Local: Pazzo's
BelfryPride Wrote:Chains: Marco's, Jet's, GoodFella's and Mellow Mushroom

Lexington Local: Pazzo's

I've had Jets. They are pretty good. I don't think I have had Mellow Mushroom. I have had Mad Mushroom in Lexington. In 1994 they messed up my order and owe me store credit. I need to cash that in.
plantmanky Wrote:Chains - Donatos, Little Caesars

Mom & Pop - Riverfront pizza in Covington.

I like Little Caesars. I liked it back when you got two pizzas in the side by side paper and cardboard carrier. I have had Donatos once and wasn't a fan. That was a long time ago though.
Local: BPW a local place in NC. It's a brick oven Buffalo style pizza place.
Chain: Old Chicago and Giovanni's
I like that new place in pineville called sauced. You can make your own good pasta too.
Westside Wrote:My favorite major pizza chain place is Pizza Hut. They have gone down hill big time over the years, but I guess my memories of the past still make me like them. I loved their Super Supreme pizza. My second choice is Pizza Den that used to be at Ivel, Ky and now is at Banner, Ky. It is a franchise of Giovannis. I have not tried it since it has relocated. The old location had maybe 8-10 booths so it was small. I always liked their pepperoni, ham, and sausage pizza. The lady that managed the Ivel location was our next door neighbor. She always took care of me when I went there. Sadly, she died at a way too young of an age a few months ago.

Pizza Den is my favorite also. I eat there once a week. Everything they have is great, but my favorites are the steak sandwich, baked spaghetti, and pizza with extra cheese, sausage and jalapenos. Never had a bad meal at either location. And I knew the lady you refer to, she did a great job and it was very sad when she died.
Major: Pizza Hut

Local: Five Star Pizza
Pizza Hut is still easily my favorite chain. Yes, they're not as good as they used to be. I will never forget, as a child, one of my favorite things is when we'd drive to the Pizza Hut in Jackson. Had many birthday parties there. Always loved the buffet as well as the service there.

As far as a mom and pop shop, I will say that Hill Top Pizza in Beattyville is really good, but I may be a little biased since I worked there for 2 years.

Another mom and pop shop that has the most cheese and grease, which I love, is Big Ed's pizza in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
Anybody on here every had Dewey's. Its really good, high end pizza.
plantmanky Wrote:Anybody on here every had Dewey's. Its really good, high end pizza.

I've never heard of it.
Westside Wrote:I like Little Caesars. I liked it back when you got two pizzas in the side by side paper and cardboard carrier. I have had Donatos once and wasn't a fan. That was a long time ago though.

Little Caesars is good when its fresh, that's why I always get them to make a Hot & Ready with one other topping. You pay an extra dollar but its worth it.

Donatos is really good IMO, its just too overpriced.
BelfryPride Wrote:Little Caesars is good when its fresh, that's why I always get them to make a Hot & Ready with one other topping. You pay an extra dollar but its worth it.

Yes, I agree. A fresh Hot & Ready is much better than one that has sat for a bit. On the other hand, Giovanni's pizza is actually really good after it has been frozen and reheated. The crust holds up well.
Westside Wrote:I've never heard of it.

Next time your up north hit me up, I take you.
BelfryPride Wrote:Little Caesars is good when its fresh, that's why I always get them to make a Hot & Ready with one other topping. You pay an extra dollar but its worth it.

Westside Wrote:Yes, I agree. A fresh Hot & Ready is much better than one that has sat for a bit. On the other hand, Giovanni's pizza is actually really good after it has been frozen and reheated. The crust holds up well.

It's funny, I'm just the opposite. When I roomed with my best friend in Myrtle Beach, we'd always get 1 or 2 Hot & Ready's and then let them sit out for several hours or even let them sit out over night. So good!
Hobert's Pizza in Prestonsburg is good. I also like Geno's in Huntington. My daughter's favorite is Dee Dee's in Teaberry. It is by far her favorite. She sends me pics of them when she gets one. I've never tried one but it looks good.
Westside Wrote:Hobert's Pizza in Prestonsburg is good. I also like Geno's in Huntington. My daughter's favorite is Dee Dee's in Teaberry. It is by far her favorite. She sends me pics of them when she gets one. I've never tried one but it looks good.

Big fan of mom’s pizzas myself! Lol
I try to avoid the national chains because the quality between franchisees is to inconsistent, IMO. I have had some great pizzas from Dominos and Pizza Hut over the years but I have had at least as many awful pizzas from the same two chains.

Local chains that we get pizza delivered from are Pizza Boli's, Vocelli's, and Paisanno's. My favorite pizza comes from a Greek restaurant named Olympians in Alexandria, VA. It's hard to beat pizzas with all fresh ingredients. They have a flatbread appetizer with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and spinach that is one of my favorite dishes of any kind.

I always liked pizza from the Giovanni's in Prestonsburg too. Not as healthy as Olympians, but just the right amount of grease in a pizza hits the spot sometimes.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I try to avoid the national chains because the quality between franchisees is to inconsistent, IMO. I have had some great pizzas from Dominos and Pizza Hut over the years but I have had at least as many awful pizzas from the same two chains.

Local chains that we get pizza delivered from are Pizza Boli's, Vocelli's, and Paisanno's. My favorite pizza comes from a Greek restaurant named Olympians in Alexandria, VA. It's hard to beat pizzas with all fresh ingredients. They have a flatbread appetizer with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and spinach that is one of my favorite dishes of any kind.

I always liked pizza from the Giovanni's in Prestonsburg too. Not as healthy as Olympians, but just the right amount of grease in a pizza hits the spot sometimes.

Have you ever try Pizza Den?
Westside Wrote:Have you ever try Pizza Den?
The first I had heard of Pizza Den was on this thread.