Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KHSAA Approves 8-team single elimination state tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
KHSAA approves 8-team, single-elimination state tourneys for both baseball & softball, starting in 2019. The 16 regional champs will meet in semistate round, with winners advancing to state tourneys. KHSAA wants semistates to be played at quality facilities, preferably colleges.

Per Jason Frakes
Where will the State tournament be played at?
Not heard on that yet, but this format should open it up to being played at a real softball stadium. UK or U of L would obviously be great, Western and EKU both have very nice facilities as well, would certainly be a step up from portable outfield fences.
I think KHSAA is taking away an experience for the kids.
I think it will be an even better experience. This is the way some of the other sports do it and it works just great! If you win your region, you play a semi-state game to see if you can make it to the elite 8 game and go to UK Softball field. Will be a great experience for all involved. Will also save on expenses doing it this way. Would say they will do this in baseball, softball, soccer and volleyball. They just play the finals in football at UK, wish they would play the final 4 at least, but with 6 classes, that would be 18 games, never happen. the other sports just don't bring in enough money to afford all the extra games and expenses for them.
This makes a lot of sense.

Would they try to get the last three rounds in over the course of a few days? Or will they start it on a weekend and do the final four the following weekend?
Definitely think they will do it over one weekend, I suspect the four quarterfinal games on Friday, semis Sat. morning, championship later that evening. Gives them Sunday in case of any weather delays.
I do think the former way was a great experience for the kids. They got a couple cracks at trying to win a game at state. However, i do hate driving all that way to Owensboro in order to play on deep infields that seem hard to judge as well as the deal with the removable fences. I have always thought that it should be played at one of the major universities here in our state. When you’re the best in your region, you should play where the elite athletes get to. No different than basketball being played at Rupp. I just think if it’s single elimination, all 16 teams should get that chance to play on John Cropp if that’s where it’s held. Always felt like the girls got a raw deal with this thing while playing in Owensboro when the boys are at the Legens ballpark. Owensboro is great, the fields are not. Gonna miss The BBQ.
Wishing they would bring all region champs like B ball in Rupp and basically do a sweet sixteen of softball. That could, would, and should work. Do these girls right KHSAA.