Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KHSAA Approves 8-team single elimination state tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
KHSAA approves 8-team, single-elimination state tourneys for both baseball & softball, starting in 2019. The 16 regional champs will meet in semistate round, with winners advancing to state tourneys. KHSAA wants semistates to be played at quality facilities, preferably colleges.

Per Jason Frakes
How are they going to determine which region plays which in the sectional?
HCS Wrote:How are they going to determine which region plays which in the sectional?

That was my question as well. I’m pretty sure when they used to do this it was 1 through 4 together, 5 through 8 and so on. Then each year you would rotate within that grouping, in other words next year might be 13 vs. 14 and 15 vs. 16, the year after 13 vs. 15, 14 vs. 16, then the third year 13 vs. 16, and 14 vs. 15. Then start back over in year four. Sectionals used to be best 2-of-3 also, is that going to be the same?
When Cumberland was playing in the sectional every year, I went all the time and it was always a single-elimination tourney for regions 13-16. I'd say you're right though about alternating regions among 13-16.
When North won the region for the first time (2008 I think), the sectional format was being used. They played Johnson Central of the 15th in a two-of-three series, it was held at Whitley Co. That’s what I was basing that on.
Van Hagar Wrote:When North won the region for the first time (2008 I think), the sectional format was being used. They played Johnson Central of the 15th in a two-of-three series, it was held at Whitley Co. That’s what I was basing that on.

Actually in '08 the semi state format was being used, not the sectional format. Johnson Central was beaten in the 1st round of the 15th regional tournament that year. Lawrence Co. was the 15th region champion and beat Bell County 2 games to 0 in the semi state format. That is the year that Lawrence Co. was also the state runner up.
It was 2007. And it was Greenup Co., not JC. At least I had North right.😂😂I hate getting old.
Van Hagar Wrote:It was 2007. And it was Greenup Co., not JC. At least I had North right.😂😂I hate getting old.

I feel your pain.:Thumbs:
I think I read it was ONE and DONE at all levels! I put "think" because I too am getting older!!!
Wasn't Baseball a semi-state just a few years ago? If so why would KHSAA change it to a sweet 16 format just to change it back to a semi-state? Doesn't make sense to me
Strikeout King Wrote:Wasn't Baseball a semi-state just a few years ago? If so why would KHSAA change it to a sweet 16 format just to change it back to a semi-state? Doesn't make sense to me

Because the Khsaa is exactly like the Ncaa. Couldn't care less about the kids, and it's all about money. Whether it cost them too much, or aren't making enough. I'm going to say that it's because rain delays during the sweet 16 cost them as far as Whitaker bank park (or whatever it's called now.) rent goes.
Will they rotate which regions play or will it be like in All A where 13th plays 14th every year?
E's Army Wrote:Will they rotate which regions play or will it be like in All A where 13th plays 14th every year?

To my knowledge the regions are grouped in 4's...1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16, and there will be a rotation of who plays who each year within those 4 regions. So one year, yes, 13 could play 14, but the next they could play 15 or 16.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:Because the Khsaa is exactly like the Ncaa. Couldn't care less about the kids, and it's all about money. Whether it cost them too much, or aren't making enough. I'm going to say that it's because rain delays during the sweet 16 cost them as far as Whitaker bank park (or whatever it's called now.) rent goes.

Its because Whitaker could no longer commit to two weekends, and KHSAA was not willing to go back to the week long format.

As a coach, I loved the Sweet 16 format. It made winning your Region your highest priority of the season. Obviously it still is, but if you won your region, the stigma was that you made the State Tournament!
Not a fan of this, I went to the State Tournament for the first time 2 years ago and enjoyed it a lot.
Just another ridiculous move by an outdated institution that schools need to show the door.

In thos scenario, schools are better off not worrying about the state nonsense and just having there own end of the year regional tournaments. The KHSAA is too lazy is the biggest problem.

These kids play 400 games a year anyways so the amount of games is not the issue.

They need to do 16 team best 2 of 3 format. Let the schools decide where to play at and only step in for reasons of disagreement. By doing best 2 of 3 you will get a real champion out of the tournament.
Every year you could just do the first round as 1v2 , 3v4 when it comes to regions to cut down on travel
Honestly think baseball should have 3 classes. Each final 4 playing at Whitaker Bank Ball Park. I think WV does something similar but I may be slightly off