Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Southwestern 48 Madison Southern 15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SW 5-0 for the first time ever. Congrats Coach French.
Congrats
Game could of been much worse. SW let up, Southerns time maybe coming to an end. They got lucky last year, and got physically dominated Friday night. They benefited from a easy path last year, SW or HC were better and had to knock each other out. This year is a different story. If SW stays healthy they will be in Lexington in Dec.
Lucky last year? Dude they were a really good team with a great line.

Who does SW have to play in the semistate?
I think SW would have to play Cov Cath in semi's. To be honest I thought SW had a better chance to get to Lex last year and probably should have. There was an easy path for Harlan Co, SW or Mad South last year and Mad South was the team that made the plays when they had to. SW had a REALLY good chance last year and laid an egg when they shouldn't have. Third round of the playoffs this year should be SW and Pulaski. The other district is really down this year.
Way to go warriors!
Larry French is an old Berea Boy and moreover a tremendous high school coach. Good luck to SW the remainder of the year.
If SW wins their region this year (I think they will), would it be their first region title?
Gitback Coach Wrote:If SW wins their region this year (I think they will), would it be their first region title?

I think so.
I believe SW won region in 2011 and lost to Anderson co. in semi.
Should have won last year. Loss to Harlan was a hard pill to swallow. Could have seen them in the finals vs Covcath. Road to the finals is harder this year.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Larry French is an old Berea Boy and moreover a tremendous high school coach. Good luck to SW the remainder of the year.
He is one of the best.
French is a heck of a coach. Southwestern has a really good program.

What's the deal with Madison Southern this year? Did they lose a lot?
Malcolm Ex Wrote:French is a heck of a coach. Southwestern has a really good program.

They lost some key kids and have zero confidence/fight at this time.

Got some kids that can play.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:French is a heck of a coach. Southwestern has a really good program.

Sort of the same issue even when they are good...very limited QB play! Either he is going to run the ball or he is going to run the ball, and every now and then hand it off. O-line is playing better but still not very good overall. As most of you know I go to almost every Madison Southern and this team is fighting but just do not have the Horses. They lost a few all-state performers from last years team and are very young this year. Madison Southern is and has over the last few years played a tough non-district schedule, and the district they play in this year is generally better. It's tough year and might be next year as well. Madison Southern has a very talented Freshman class and their 8th grade teams are even better. To be honest I think Madison Southern is 2 years away from being very good again, but in the time being our coaches are working these kids very hard and good things will happen. Madison Southern is not a team that will be be contending for State or Region every year, things are fine though and in a few years we will be back in the mix like the last 5 or 6 years...
We lost a lot of skill last year. I actually didn't think we would be down this bad. We got most of our line back on both sides of the ball and I thought that would help us out and carry us quite a bit this year.

The Garrard loss caught me totally by surprise. We will be better next year and from what I hear we got some young talent up and coming. I have 100% faith in this coaching staff and think they will get us back in the region title hunt in a year or two.

We will have a very strong senior class next year who are a very inexperienced junior class this year. These juniors and seniors this year played behind a lot of 3 year starters and some 4 year starters that graduated last year.
I am surprised at Madison Southerns downturn this year. They were a top 4 team in 5A last year and I expected them to compete for another district title this year. It looks like they will finish 3rd in their district this year and I’m not sure the games against 1 and 2 will be close. I know they lost a lot but wow. Losing to Garrard is bad.