Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bengals Talk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bizmark had a good point about the other thread not actually being a Bengals thread, so I thought I'd start one.

How does everyone feel about the signing of Michael Myers (DT from Denver)? I think he will be an upgrade on the line, as he started every game for the Broncos last year. This also probably makes it unlikely the team will draft a DT in the first round now, probably go with a CB or outside backer now.
More Cowbell Wrote:Bizmark had a good point about the other thread not actually being a Bengals thread, so I thought I'd start one.

How does everyone feel about the signing of Michael Myers (DT from Denver)? I think he will be an upgrade on the line, as he started every game for the Broncos last year. This also probably makes it unlikely the team will draft a DT in the first round now, probably go with a CB or outside backer now.

How is his police record? Smile
jammin' jamey Wrote:How is his police record? Smile

Not sure about his police record, but I bet at some point, someone convinced him to take a stab at playing football! Wink
well, he obviously plays strictly for the love of the game. He took a major paycut when he came into the NFL from my beloved Bama, LOL..
I think this is a VERY good sign for the Bengals and also makes them or should I say gives them the option of not taking a DT in the draft. I know I hate it when my team takes a DT or Lineman even though I know that sometimes you have too.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I think this is a VERY good sign for the Bengals and also makes them or should I say gives them the option of not taking a DT in the draft. I know I hate it when my team takes a DT or Lineman even though I know that sometimes you have too.

I agree. Before this signing, I had been set on them taking a DT in the first round, but now maybe they should go for the corner. Deltha O'Neal seemed to have lost his edge last year.
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree. Before this signing, I had been set on them taking a DT in the first round, but now maybe they should go for the corner. Deltha O'Neal seemed to have lost his edge last year.
I think that they should trade Deltha for a draft pick, and everyone has them trading up and taking Ted Ginn Jr., but I think if you trade up you still take a defensive player. I know Ginn has said he wants to play defense, but I think our defense is too banged up to take a chance on someone who won't produce.

I think you trade Deltha, take a corner early (Leon Hall), then take a middle backer in the second, then a safety, maybe more defensive tackles or defensive ends, even if they can only be in on passing downs, because we have Sam Adams to clog up the middle, and then if this guy can stop the run at all.

I swear I saw somewhere where it said they were switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4, but I don't think that's a good idea if we signed this guy and then can draft maybe more.

We need to be able to gain a presence up front, and players who can pressure the QB, trading up to take a solid corner in the first round and then taking a safety later would start in helping to stop the pass.
The more I think about it, the more I really want them to take a corner first round. It's funny, their run defense gets all the pub about how bad it is, but to me the pass defense is what was really bad last year (it was ranked near the bottom of the league if I'm not mistaken). Seemed like we could never get off the field on a third down because the other team would just throw at Tory James, or to a lesser extent Deltha O'Neal, and convert 10-15 yards for a first down. Another shutdown corner would be awesome.
I just don't think Cincy needs another WR. I know they are w/out Henry for 8 games but to have T.J. and CJ and they have at least 3 guys who could feel that 3rd WR spot, just don't think taking Ted Jr. would be a smart pick just because he is a Buckeye. They need a good safety or someone who can help stop the long ball and big play on DEFENSE!
More Cowbell Wrote:Not sure about his police record, but I bet at some point, someone convinced him to take a stab at playing football! Wink

Good one. Smile

Like Pete Rose always says, "I bet he's good."
More Cowbell Wrote:The more I think about it, the more I really want them to take a corner first round. It's funny, their run defense gets all the pub about how bad it is, but to me the pass defense is what was really bad last year (it was ranked near the bottom of the league if I'm not mistaken). Seemed like we could never get off the field on a third down because the other team would just throw at Tory James, or to a lesser extent Deltha O'Neal, and convert 10-15 yards for a first down. Another shutdown corner would be awesome.

Shut-down corner would have been awesome last year in overtime in the last game of the season against the Steelers.

Speaking of which, I'm wearing this shirt as we speak
More Cowbell Wrote:Bizmark had a good point about the other thread not actually being a Bengals thread, so I thought I'd start one.

Not sure about biz's point. The thread was talking about the 2007 schedule and since the Bengals are the local team for this area, naturally they are going to be more posts regarding them. When someone starts a thread about college bball, most of the time it ends up about UK. Because thats the team of interest around here.

Now as for Myers......I like the signing. IMO you can never have enough depth at the O-line or D-line positions. The way the salary cap is structured this day and time its hard to keep depth at those positions. I think Robert Geathers will become an absolute beast. If he continues to emerge, that will open things up for Justin and the rest of the line. I know you have to stop the run, but you also have to get pressure on the QB. When you can do neither, you are in a world of hurt.
Bengal Cat Wrote:. I know you have to stop the run, but you also have to get pressure on the QB. When you can do neither, you are in a world of hurt.

that's been the Bengals' problem for the past few years, which is why I say trade up in the draft and take a corner, then take a middle backer in the first and d linemen the rest, along with other run stoppers.

That's what I don't understand, why the Bengals would re-sign all these guys when alls they do is let the offense shove the ball down their throat.
tradin o'neal is fine but how nuch do you honestly think they can get out of the guy? when he was traded to the bengals four years denver only got a 2nd round pick for him.
bizmark Wrote:tradin o'neal is fine but how nuch do you honestly think they can get out of the guy? when he was traded to the bengals four years denver only got a 2nd round pick for him.
Maybe O'Neal plus a future draft pick. He didn't have a solid '06, but his '05 wasn't bad, and a team might not mind taking a chance on him.

Even with Perry being hurt and Henry being a "DEE-TEE-DEE", I still think our offense is very good, but our defense needs to stop someone.
I've been seeing that a lot of the mock drafts have the Bengals taking Darrell Revis, CB out of Pitt, in the first round. I would be cool with that pick, he would be a good nickel back early on, and he could start if O'Neal doesn't get it figured out.

After that, I would like to see an outside backer in the second. I don't care if Henry is out for half the year, we still have two other guys better than him, so they better not take a receiver early. We only have two day 1 picks, and they had better both be on defense.
i heard Chris Henry had all charges droped from last years traffic stop.
More Cowbell Wrote:I've been seeing that a lot of the mock drafts have the Bengals taking Darrell Revis, CB out of Pitt, in the first round. I would be cool with that pick, he would be a good nickel back early on, and he could start if O'Neal doesn't get it figured out.

After that, I would like to see an outside backer in the second. I don't care if Henry is out for half the year, we still have two other guys better than him, so they better not take a receiver early. We only have two day 1 picks, and they had better both be on defense.
I think that Revis is the third best corner in the draft, behind Hall and Ross, but any of them would be an improvement.......... I agree though, backer in the second, but I say trade O'Neal and maybe pick up a solid safety in the draft, hopefully either Landry or Nelson.

rallo316 Wrote:i heard Chris Henry had all charges droped from last years traffic stop.
Why? And it won't effect his suspension, will it? If his license was suspended because of the charges that got dropped, then it would mean that he wasn't driving on a suspended license....... this is confusing
rallo316 Wrote:i heard Chris Henry had all charges droped from last years traffic stop.

You heard correctly. But I don't know what effect (if any) it will have on his suspension. I guess thats up to good ole Roger . Here's the link gang.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2847031
BFritz Wrote:I think that Revis is the third best corner in the draft, behind Hall and Ross, but any of them would be an improvement.......... I agree though, backer in the second, but I say trade O'Neal and maybe pick up a solid safety in the draft, hopefully either Landry or Nelson.

It's not like I would be upset if we traded O'Neal, but I don't think he has much trade value right now, probably no better than a 5th or 6th rounder. I think we may be better off keeping him and hoping he gets it figured out, rather than giving him away for next to nothing.

I also would rather see the CB and OLB positions addressed first, as I think we need to draft a possible starter at both. Safety, on the other hand, is set with the starters and only needs some depth to replace Kaesviharn. Would rather see them take a safety on the second day.
More Cowbell Wrote:It's not like I would be upset if we traded O'Neal, but I don't think he has much trade value right now, probably no better than a 5th or 6th rounder. I think we may be better off keeping him and hoping he gets it figured out, rather than giving him away for next to nothing.

I also would rather see the CB and OLB positions addressed first, as I think we need to draft a possible starter at both. Safety, on the other hand, is set with the starters and only needs some depth to replace Kaesviharn. Would rather see them take a safety on the second day.

The only problem I see with keeping O'Neal is the same problem that I have with a lot of the Bengals personnel strategy on defense: they say that they're going to work with what they have instead of spending money in free agency, and it's like I doubt they're going to suddenly wake up one morning and all be All-Pro defenders.
BFritz Wrote:The only problem I see with keeping O'Neal is the same problem that I have with a lot of the Bengals personnel strategy on defense: they say that they're going to work with what they have instead of spending money in free agency, and it's like I doubt they're going to suddenly wake up one morning and all be All-Pro defenders.

Not that I think it's going to happen, but the light could flip back on for O'Neal this year. Remember, he went to the Pro Bowl 2 years ago, so the potential is there for him to wake up one morning and be an All-Pro. I don't expect it to happen, but I would rather wait and see than give him away for nothing.

If you're going to trade him, it would be best to do it after he has a great year. Best situation for the Bengals would be to draft a corner 1st round, which puts pressure on O'Neal to keep his starting spot, and he goes out and has another big year like in '05. The draft pick gets to spend a year as nickel corner, then becomes a starter in '08 when we trade O'Neal (who would hopefully fetch a high pick if he has a good season). Big Grin