Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Local players who could play for the Cats?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I personally know without a doubt that Lawrence county,s Morgan Roberts could play for Kentucky.He has the speed, the arm and a very strong bat.Kenucky should be offering more full scholarship,s to our local players IF they have the skills.Morgan has all the skills.
i personally dont think he could play at ky....i would say the only player in the region that could is fyffe
You are dead wrong about the talent level in the region or maybe you havent seen Kentucky,s baseball team play.He might not start but Morgan could play.There are several players in the area that could play for the Cats.Its not basketball pal.Big e were you a fan of the Big E Elvin Hayes?
theres no way you can compare the 15th region with NCAA baseball, no its not basketball, and UK is ranked alot higher in baseball then they ever were this year in basketball
There are no players from the 15th region in any sport that could play at UK right now!
i agree totally
bball fan Wrote:There are no players from the 15th region in any sport that could play at UK right now!

i disagree...shane grimm from paintsville is great on the mound, in the field, and at the plate and so is the junior scotty little from Allen Central whom was voted state player of the week for having 19 K's, batting .670, in one week!.....there is more talent in this region than what the fans are seeing...
IDK if there are ANY players in the region that could play for UK. Grimm is a good pitcher against the competition he faces, but he would get hammered against ANY team UK has on their schedule, as would Little from AC. I haven't seen the Roberts kid play, heard good things though.
Old school Dawg Wrote:I personally know without a doubt that Lawrence county,s Morgan Roberts could play for Kentucky.He has the speed, the arm and a very strong bat.Kenucky should be offering more full scholarship,s to our local players IF they have the skills.Morgan has all the skills.
Please dont take what I am about to say as either being negative or smart allecly, but you need to understand what I am about to say.

Unfortunately a problem a lot of people here in the 15th region have is they have not been out of their own little 15th region world's long enough to see what the real world of highschool baseball is all about and what it takes to play in the SEC. We get disillusioned by the success that some players have facing other players here in the 15th region playing against each other, and really dont fully understand what kind of caliber of talent is actually out there nationwide. Try going to a big time tournament such as The Perfect Game in Atlanta and you will quickly see what the real world is all about. 90MPH RHP pitchers, 88 MPH LHP's and 6.6 60 guys are there by the scud fulls. Matt Fyffe is the only player this year in the 15th region that Kentucky would give the time of day to, and honestly the only one that could actually have a shot at playing there. And before you all start telling me I dont know what I am talking about, I know first hand what Kentucky is looking for because I have been in John Cohen's office listening to an actual offer and have been on the playing and practice field with Kentucky players. Try looking at Kentucky's recruiting class for next year and you will see that they have not signed the first player out of Kentucky, let alone considered anyone out of the 15th region. Steve Blevins and Adam Blanton are the only players during the John Cohen tenure to this point that have been offered to play at Kentucky out of the 15th region. This I know as an absolute fact. It's good to support our local players as they certainly dont get a lot of respect, and they need to be promoted all they can be promoted, but realism needs to set in here. Morgan is a very nice player and he will get the chance to play college baseball somewhere, if that is what he wants to do, but not in the SEC.

And just so you know there is no such thing as a full scholarship in baseball. Even Stevie and Adam as good as they were in high school did not get full rides to the places they now attend. This I know 100% without a shadow of a doubt, as I am very close to both players and have watched both players play against the top players in the country, as they both played together on the same summer team for several years.
mrbaseball58 Wrote:i disagree...shane grimm from paintsville is great on the mound, in the field, and at the plate and so is the junior scotty little from Allen Central whom was voted state player of the week for having 19 K's, batting .670, in one week!.....there is more talent in this region than what the fans are seeing...
No there is not. I have never seen the 15th region as weak as what it is right now. Heck Justin Blanton had 19 strikeouts as well last week. In the 15th region this year it's not that big of a deal. I fear that a lot of people are filling a lot of junk into some of the kids heads that you are mentioning. I hear stuff about some of them getting drafted out of high school and the silly what not. It's ridiculous. Ain't gonna happen my friends.
I have been outside the 15th region.Ive watched hundreds of college basebll games and I am basing it on speed,arm strength,bat speed,and power and Morgan has the skills to play at the d 1 level.My dad always told me if your in a room with 100 people and they all disagree with you that doesnt make you wrong.Im right!!!Appreciate your thoughts guys.
Old school Dawg Wrote:I have been outside the 15th region.Ive watched hundreds of college basebll games and I am basing it on speed,arm strength,bat speed,and power and Morgan has the skills to play at the d 1 level.My dad always told me if your in a room with 100 people and they all disagree with you that doesnt make you wrong.Im right!!!Appreciate your thoughts guys.
First off you said UK,now your changing that to D1. Morehead is D1 and so is Miami, or LSU and Rice. Huge difference.

Views from the stands can be very misleading when it comes to comparing players. That is why they use radar guns, stop watches, etc. You can have a hundred people watch a guy throw a baseball, run a 60 yard dash etc, But without real timing mechanisms you will get 100 different guesses, and some wont even be close to what the other might be.
I have seen the 15th Region for a long time, have seen UK play regularly, and there is not a D1 or UK player in the 15th at this time.

I have seen Roberts play...he is talented, just not D1 talented, IMO.
BTW, Is he a senior???

Oops, I forgot Fyffe and Pugh.
Both could play D1.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I have seen the 15th Region for a long time, have seen UK play regularly, and there is not a D1 or UK player in the 15th at this time.

I have seen Roberts play...he is talented, just not D1 talented, IMO.
BTW, Is he a senior???
Yes he is a senior.

Thanks FS. I know for a fact that you are well aware of what it takes to play Major college baseball and what it takes to play at the next level. I will offer you this however. The Matt Fyffe that you have seen in the past does not even compare to the Matt Fyffe you will see this year. I dont know that you have had the chance this year to see him. He has gone from an 82-84 thrower to a legitimate 87-91 consistantly. It has been one of the most miracuolous and puzzzling turnarounds that I have ever witnessed. If there is a player that has a chance , it is Matt Fyffe.
rooster Wrote:Yes he is a senior.

Thanks FS. I know for a fact that you are well aware of what it takes to play Major college baseball and what it takes to play at the next level. I will offer you this however. The Matt Fyffe that you have seen in the past does not even compare to the Matt Fyffe you will see this year. I dont know that you have had the chance this year to see him. He has gone from an 82-84 thrower to a legitimate 87-91 consistantly. It has been one of the most miracuolous and puzzzling turnarounds that I have ever witnessed. If there is a player that has a chance , it is Matt Fyffe.
I agree, I forgot Fyffe.
I have seen a couple of reports but have not seen him this year.
Fyffe and Pugh both could make it, If they stay injury free and continue to work.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I agree, I forgot Fyffe.
I have seen a couple of reports but have not seen him this year.
Fyffe and Pugh both could make it, If they stay injury free and continue to work.
Oh, I dont think that you will have a problem with those two guys continuing to work.

Yes, the injury free statement carries a lot of weight. Justin Blanton is also one of those players that have all of the physical tools as well, but has been severely hampered this year with hamstring problems. He had a lot of suceesss in the winter camps and showcases and like Fyffe transformed himself extensively in the offseason. Hopefully he will be at least 85-90% healthy by the time the district tournament rolls around.He is sadly nowhere near that right now, but he is rapidly regaining what he became in the offseason. Even so, he is getting a ton of offers.
you never know but i have not seen one yet.
You all are not taking in account one bit of how much a player will grow physically from age 17 to 19 or 20.If a kid has a Dad who had a growth spirt around 18 there is a chance his son could too.A good scout also looks for players who he believe,s will make bigtime improvements.You all are not looking at nothing but,,,, right now,,where scouts for colleges and pro scouts look at what some players can become.I dont think you guys are doing that at all.You cant possibly know how much a kid could grow physically in a year or two.Saying no kid in our region has no potential to be a good division one player is about like a doctor telling you how long someone has to live.There is no direct science to either.I think Morgan roberts is a kid that will grow physically in a years time.Great arm, 4.6speed in the forty, and a kid capable of hitting a baseball 400'.There are always people telling kids that are not big in size thay cant do something.You all ought to read about Steve Nash and what people told him about his dream to play college basketball on D 1 level.If he had played in the 15th region he would be told he cant do it.Nobody ever thought Brandon webb would be a cy young winner,,,thats for sure.I know where you guys are coming from and your probably right in most cases,,but not all cases!!I watched a lot of west virginia University baseball growing up and had season tickets at old forbes field in Pittsburgh and then three rivers stadium so I have seen the best!!
Old school Dawg Wrote:You all are not taking in account one bit of how much a player will grow physically from age 17 to 19 or 20.If a kid has a Dad who had a growth spirt around 18 there is a chance his son could too.A good scout also looks for players who he believe,s will make bigtime improvements.You all are not looking at nothing but,,,, right now,,where scouts for colleges and pro scouts look at what some players can become.I dont think you guys are doing that at all.You cant possibly know how much a kid could grow physically in a year or two.Saying no kid in our region has no potential to be a good division one player is about like a doctor telling you how long someone has to live.There is no direct science to either.I think Morgan roberts is a kid that will grow physically in a years time.Great arm, 4.6speed in the forty, and a kid capable of hitting a baseball 400'.There are always people telling kids that are not big in size thay cant do something.You all ought to read about Steve Nash and what people told him about his dream to play college basketball on D 1 level.If he had played in the 15th region he would be told he cant do it.Nobody ever thought Brandon webb would be a cy young winner,,,thats for sure.I know where you guys are coming from and your probably right in most cases,,but not all cases!!I watched a lot of west virginia University baseball growing up and had season tickets at old forbes field in Pittsburgh and then three rivers stadium so I have seen the best!!
What has tried to be answered is your question. Could Roberts play for Ky.
Well.......Yes....he "could" walk on, and grow, become stronger, faster and make the team. Will he??? Nobody knows. What's the chance??? 0-1% IMO. But it could happen.
But don't keep arguing about it cause, UK ain't calling, and sure as heck ain't holding their breath to see what he matures into.
I know what you are saying Old Dawg I think you are trying to say that if some one believes in him self then nothing is impossible. If people keep saying that you can't do something then after a while you start thinking it also. But I think if a person wants to do something bad enough and has the heart and determination to do it then I think a person can do what ever they want too . But you have to want it and want it bad. For example I know a person that plays the 5-string banjo professionally and he doesn't have any fingers on his left hand I mean this guy makes a living at playing this instrument now I wonder how many people told him when he was wanting to learn to play the 5 string that he couldn't do it because it takes having fingers on your left hand to be able to play it. I asked him one time and he said that his mom and dad didn't do nothing but encourage him when he wanted to play the banjo . So this tells me that a person can do anything they want to if they set their mind to it . So just keep the positive attitude and maybe it will rub off on some others.:thumpsup:
Yep friend thats kinda what Im saying plus you have to have skills.The banjo player for Mountain Heart is missing some fingers and he is great!!!I wasnt the least bit mad and there is always someone who comes in and says dont argue but I didnt think we were.
the bottom line is....will he grow physically? maybe, but uk and most other divison 1 schools wont take a chance on whether or not a kid will get better, its how good is he now...and now no