Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why Does Pike County Hate Pikeville?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just something I want to get everyone's views on.

It's obvious from the boards and my personal experience that if you don't go to Pikeville Independent, then you hate those who do.

There's always comments about people from Pikeville being stuck up, etc.

Why is there such animosity between the city school and the surrounding county schools?
I think it's because of how they kind of seem so different from the rest of us and live 20 minutes away. If you go to Pikeville High, people know it, you say Pikeville different and you just have a different accent.

I know one thing that gets people's blood flowing is all the rich folks down there buying their seats at basketball games and like getting a name plate on the seat.

They just flat out act so different from the rest of Pike County and they don't put their pants on any different than the rest of us.

Test scores there aren't amazing, Shelby Valley is catching right up there with them. Pikeville doesn't have great benefits, it's just the name that attracts people to that high school.
it is like all of eastern ky its amazing how people can talk about other counties and schools when the same things are going on all over not just in that one school and even has happened in their own school. i know eastern ky has a certain reputation but you have to think people around here spread the reputation when they make fun of the other counties and schools
How exactly do they act different? Just wanting to know what you mean specifically? Other than saying the name Pikeville differently, which isn't that big of a deal. People in Louisville pronounce it 100 different ways.

You say one thing that gets people's blood flowing is buying seats at basketball games. What is it that's wrong with that? Those proceeds, for the most part, go to the betterment of the facilities, teams, etc. And all the people get in return is a name plate on a seat. What is the big deal with donating money, if you have it?

I'm not being hostile, just trying to figure out the situation. People buy nameplates a.k.a. "donate" to schools all the time. Big boosters at UK have bricks with their names on them from donating to the new practice facility.
FATMAN Wrote:it is like all of eastern ky its amazing how people can talk about other counties and schools when the same things are going on all over not just in that one school and even has happened in their own school. i know eastern ky has a certain reputation but you have to think people around here spread the reputation when they make fun of the other counties and schools

I'll agree that the independent schools put down the county schools a lot when talking about them to outsiders. They act like their school is a diamond in the rough in Eastern KY.
I'm just saying it for the fact that you can't name that many kids who go to Shelby Valley whose parents are doctors or lawyers or dentists. Pikeville's kids get the rep. that they are stuck up by going to an ind. school instead of a public one. Now I NEVER said I have negative feelings towards them, I have many friends who attend Pikeville, but they just get the rep that they are better than everyone else, and that rep spreads fast causing people to have a strong dislike of students at Pikeville.
[quote=ComeFlyWithMe]Pikeville's kids get the rep. that they are stuck up by going to an ind. school instead of a public one. quote]
An independant school IS a public school.

Many, if not most, municipalities/cities that have a tax revenue base have chosen to operate a school system with an independant board, administration, and tax revenue system.

An independant school is not private. It simply means the school is independant of the county system.

Paintsville is also a public, independant school...Jenkins is a public independant school...Hazard is an independant school.
Ive attended the county schools and then graduated from Pikeville. So I believe I know better than most about this subject. I didnt find anymore stuck up snobs at Pikeville than I did at the county schools. I was actually accepted by the Pikeville kids faster than I was at the county schools. The city kids acting different and talking different line is a joke. ALL teenagers try to act like theyre something theyre not I dont care what school they go to.
Trust theyre are some "Rednecks" at Pikeville who like to hunt and fish and watch NASCAR. Ill give a good example of how good of a community this is. Last year my family and I experienced a personal tragedy. The entire community of Pikeville just rallied around and supported us in every way imaginable. I said to myself then that I just wish when people talk about Pikeville being stuck up snobs not caring about anyone but themselves that they could see the love that was shown to us by this community.
Everybody is different. Different groups of people will talk different, have higher/lower incomes, drive nicer cars, have a different sense of humor, different beliefs, different morals, its like this all over the world. As a whole I would say Pike County (all the county schools and Pikeville Independent combine) get along better and have more in common then any area of its size in the US. Everybody knows everybody though some sort of connection, most have the same beliefs, and even if you do talk different, its not as noticeable as it would be anywhere else. All you can do if pray for people who use pre judgement on someone who pronounces Pikeville in a different way.
Its not talking different that bothers people. I think its more because they think that they are better because their parents are doctors and lawyers and make great money so they live in places like Bowles Addition and their parents drive amazing cars and they buy them nice cars too and they think that they are better than everyone at sports and are smarter, things like that. Its just that some Pikeville kids think that they are better in any aspect, period, because of who they are, where they are from "the city", stuff like that.
Fernando Wrote:Its not talking different that bothers people. I think its more because they think that they are better because their parents are doctors and lawyers and make great money so they live in places like Bowles Addition and their parents drive amazing cars and they buy them nice cars too and they think that they are better than everyone at sports and are smarter, things like that. Its just that some Pikeville kids think that they are better in any aspect, period, because of who they are, where they are from "the city", stuff like that.

^^^Just another gross generalization.
Everyone at the city schools is not like that just like not everyone at the county schools is like that.

There are kids at the county schools that think and act like they are better than others as well...there are kids at the city schools that think and act like they are better than anyone else...there are drug issues at the city schools...there are drug issues at the county schools...there are jerks in the city and there are jerks in the county

My point is the kids are the same at both city and county schools. The difference is perception and stereotypical beliefs.
***I agree with Fox Sports about kids being the same at both the city and county schools. These types of sentiments are not unique to Pike County and Pikeville Ind.. Boyd Co. and Ashland, Hazard and Perry Central, Johnson Central and Paintsville all have the same types of perceptions about one another. The one thing that is unique about Pike Co and Pikeville Ind is that there are five county schools in Pike Co compared to just one in Boyd, Perry, and Johnson Counties. So maybe thats why it seems like Pikeville is more hated, there are just more schools that dislike them. Most of the time, there is a certain amount of jealously involved. Whether it is in athletics or academics, schools that are consistently successful are disliked. In most cases, the county kids are a big reason for that success and that does not sit well with some individuals.
I know of one girl who graduated from Pikeville a couple years ago and she was constantly putting down those from outside Pikeville. I took exception to that attitude but I'm sure she didn't speak for all of Pikeville. I know some good folks from Pikeville and some real snobs. I also know some good folks and snobs from every school in the county. It is common thought that Pikeville people think they are better than others. I don't know if that is totally fair. Judging a whole school by a few is not fair. The AD at Pikeville has made comments that doesn't help. I have heard him say, "Ignorance never ceases to amaze me", referring to people from other schools. Comments like those aren't good PR. But if people are jealous because Pikeville has pride and wants to excel in everything they do, then the problem lies within. I too, used to have an attitude about Pikeville, but then the better I get to know some of them, the better I like them. I think we should give all people in every school a fair shake, be cordial to them and see if it is reciprocated. After all, we are all Kentuckians.
kentuckyfan1962 Wrote:The AD at Pikeville has made comments that doesn't help. I have heard him say, "Ignorance never ceases to amaze me", referring to people from other schools.

I have heard this same man(Pikeville AD) make that exact comment "Ignorance never ceases to amaze me" about Pikeville's own students and even an athlete or two.

Ignorance knows no boundaries.
kentuckyfan1962 Wrote:I know of one girl who graduated from Pikeville a couple years ago and she was constantly putting down those from outside Pikeville. I took exception to that attitude but I'm sure she didn't speak for all of Pikeville. I know some good folks from Pikeville and some real snobs. I also know some good folks and snobs from every school in the county. It is common thought that Pikeville people think they are better than others. I don't know if that is totally fair. Judging a whole school by a few is not fair. The AD at Pikeville has made comments that doesn't help. I have heard him say, "Ignorance never ceases to amaze me", referring to people from other schools. Comments like those aren't good PR.
Please dont judge Pikeville folks on the remarks of one complete idiot. Nobody at Pikeville likes that guy and thank GOD hes quitting as AD. What Pikeville says about the county schools is no different than what Ive heard on here what Valley, PC,ER, and Phelps say about each other. Its just good natured ribbing between rival schools. Why is it different when Pikeville does the same thing?
What is the deal with you Pikeville people and the AD? I really think you will miss him more than you realize. Instead of just calling him a complete idiot, give an example of how he has hurt the athletic programs at your school. I hear from a lot of schools that there is no administrative support or that the AD is pro basketball and does not care about the other sports, do any of these apply to Trivette or do people not like him for another reason.

One thing about him, he has been there for a while and knows a lot of the history of PHS athletics.
GD, good question, but try posting that in a thread of its own, so we don't get off-topic in here.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Please dont judge Pikeville folks on the remarks of one complete idiot. Nobody at Pikeville likes that guy and thank GOD hes quitting as AD. What Pikeville says about the county schools is no different than what Ive heard on here what Valley, PC,ER, and Phelps say about each other. Its just good natured ribbing between rival schools. Why is it different when Pikeville does the same thing?

I don't judge all Pikeville folks by one man. If you read all my post, I said the more I get to know some of the Pikeville people, the more I like them. I have gotten to know quite a few the last couple years. Really, I have no more of a problem with them than any other school. All schools in the area have their share of good and bad. I know some really quality people from every school.
GridironDoc Wrote:What is the deal with you Pikeville people and the AD? I really think you will miss him more than you realize. Instead of just calling him a complete idiot, give an example of how he has hurt the athletic programs at your school. I hear from a lot of schools that there is no administrative support or that the AD is pro basketball and does not care about the other sports, do any of these apply to Trivette or do people not like him for another reason.

One thing about him, he has been there for a while and knows a lot of the history of PHS athletics.
All I know is nobody can work with the guy. Hes run off quite a few people.
kentuckyfan1962 Wrote:I don't judge all Pikeville folks by one man. If you read all my post, I said the more I get to know some of the Pikeville people, the more I like them. I have gotten to know quite a few the last couple years. Really, I have no more of a problem with them than any other school. All schools in the area have their share of good and bad. I know some really quality people from every school.
I know what you meant and that comment wasnt completely aimed at you. Its to everyone whos been put off by this persons arrogant attitude, and trust me you could fill rupp arena with the people in that catergorie.
Fernando Wrote:Its not talking different that bothers people. I think its more because they think that they are better because their parents are doctors and lawyers and make great money so they live in places like Bowles Addition and their parents drive amazing cars and they buy them nice cars too and they think that they are better than everyone at sports and are smarter, things like that. Its just that some Pikeville kids think that they are better in any aspect, period, because of who they are, where they are from "the city", stuff like that.
Well, I happen to live in that neighborhood and have many friends that do as well. I can not think of one of them that thinks they are any better than anyone else. There really aren't even that many kids down here, but of the ones that are, they are some of the most down-to-earth people you will find in this city. Do most people who live in the Bowles have above average salaries? Yes, but that does not make them a better person, and I'm sure some people in Pikeville do think they are better than county people, but that does NOT AT ALL reflect the feelings of the majority of Pikeville citizens. My friends and I from the city limits have many out of city friends and they are some of the best friends you could have. So, My belief is that if you're from the city you are labeled as a rich snob. Is this true for some? Yes, but not nearly all.
I am a Mullins High School graduate but my daughters attended Pikeville because we moved into the city limits. I have to say that I used to hate Pikeville but now realize that there are some of the greatest people in the world there!! So I think it is just a typical county/city rivalry that will go on forever here in Pike County as well as the whole country as well.
GridironDoc Wrote:What is the deal with you Pikeville people and the AD? I really think you will miss him more than you realize. Instead of just calling him a complete idiot, give an example of how he has hurt the athletic programs at your school. I hear from a lot of schools that there is no administrative support or that the AD is pro basketball and does not care about the other sports, do any of these apply to Trivette or do people not like him for another reason.

I don't think he is disliked for what he has actually done while at Pikeville. He is dis-liked because of how he deals with poeple. He just doesn't have very good people skills. He bleeds maroon and white and you can't fault him for that. However, the days of embarrassing people by using bad language and slander went out about the time his dad and Adolph Rupp got out of coaching. Times have changed and people with Trivette's personality are just not very well liked these days!
They just do...
A Blessing & A Curse Wrote:They just do...
That's a good reason. Hate people just because. Do you have any friends from the city or tried to make any? Or did they just refuse to be friends with you?

I haven't said anything in this but I might as well.

Truefully, I really don't think that there is as much hatred between the county and city as people think. Sure, rivalries are a big thing and the games can explode into something else, but that is what made/makes it fun for students. You want to see if you can outdo your closest competitors. IMO, that is where most of the hatred is harnessed. If one actually takes the time to look outside of sporting events, many are friends. I know that most people from when I was in school had friends that went to county schools (all of them). I mean I had friends that went to Central, ER, SV, and Belfry, but when it came around to game time, I wouldn't talk to them and would sit there and bash them (about fight someSmile). I, along with many others, dated county people and it was all fine and dandy.

If you look at other places (out of state for sure), we don't have it that bad. Some of these schools hate each other in sports and carry it out to wherever they are wearing their school colors, they don't talk, mostly try to start things.

It isn't as bad as people think.