Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: EKU JazzFest and Jazz Crawl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, as a member of the EKU MIO (Music Industry Organization) I would like to invite everyone to the upcoming Jazz Crawl and JazzFest on EKU's campus.

I'll first give you a little information about the Jazz Crawl, which will begin Friday, April 27th at 8:00 PM. A "jazz crawl" is much like a bar crawl, but at each venue we will be featuring a different group or artist. Lanyards for the Jazz Crawl are only $3 and these will get you in the doors of any venue that night with no cover charge. These lanyards will also get you special discounts on drinks and food.

Here is the crawl schedule for that night (revisions have been made due to The Paddy Wagon burning down)

8:00 - 8:45 PM Gallery On Main - ft. Steel Band Combo
9:00 - 9:45 PM Livewire - ft. Randy Westbrook Trio
10:00 - 10:45 PM Woody's - ft. Swing Insight
11:00 PM - 12:30 AM Madison Garden - EKU Faculty Jazz Combo

The big event of the weekend is on Saturday, April 28th. This is the day of the JazzFest festival. During this event there will be an awesome festival-type atmosphere on campus with live music playing in the amphitheater, members of MIO grilling burgers, hot dogs, etc. Cornhole tournaments, and various booths set up around campus.

Throughout the day there will also be films and classes given to anyone who wishes to attend, here is a list of those events:

11:00 AM Masterclass with Trumpeter Dave Hoffman Foster Room 100

12:00 PM Presskit Seminar Foster Room 100

1:00 PM "History of Jazz" film presentation Crabbe Library Media Room

2:00 PM Masterclass with vocalist Kate McGarry Foster Room 100

2:30 PM Swing Dance Demonstration EKU Ravine

3:00 PM Masterclass with Otis Brown III Foster Room 100

4:00 PM is a big event. In the EKU ravine/amphitheater trumpeter Dave Hoffman will be performing with the EKU Jazz Ensemble. Dave Hoffman was the trumpeter for the Ray Charles Orchestra.

Our main event that day is the Kate McGarry Quartet concert. Kate McGarry is a vocalist from New York who will be releasing a new album in May. She is signed with Palmetto Records. At 8:00 PM in Brock Auditorium will be her concert. Tickets for this event are $5 for students and $10 for adults. The back of your ticket will also have a coupon printed on it for one free entree at Madison Garden.

If anyone would like more info or tickets please contact me or visit www.ekumio.com

If anyone in a jazz band would like to perform at the amphitheater from 11 am to 3 pm let me know as well and I will try to reserve a spot for you.

If I was in Richmond, or at least closer, I would love to come to this CE. It sounds like a GREAT event. Best of luck with it and have some fun for me.
The cornhole tournament is confirmed as of tonight.

All next week MIO will have booths set up raffling off tickets, lanyards, t-shirts, and other goodies like gift cards to Outback, music stores, etc.

So if you're on EKU's campus, stop by a booth to get a ticket or enter the raffle. Some of the prizes we are raffling off are worth $50.
The Jazz Crawl has been revised due to The Paddy Wagon burning down, here is the new schedule:

Gallery On Main - 8 PM

Livewire - 9 PM

Woody's - 10 PM

Madison Garden - 11 PM to close

Lanyards are $3 and will get you into all of the places listed above. No additional cover charges will be required if you have a lanyard and you will also get specials on drinks and food.
If anyone would like to purchase any tickets or lanyards at Foster on EKU's campus, we are giving away free t-shirts.

There is also a raffle at the booths, raffle tickets are $1 and prizes include a $50 gift certificate to Currier's Music World, 3 free hair cuts, 2-$20 gift cards to Outback, and several other things including t-shirts, etc.