Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mayfield 43 Union City (TN) 27
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mayfield trailed in the 4th quarter of this game. I told my son that I was looking out to how they responded when they came out of the tunnel after halftime. They have the player leadership that they have had for the past 7 or 8 years. Glad to see it. This was a very good game. Plenty of things to work on but we have the coaches who can get it done.
The difference this year was literally the way the ball bounced. Last year UC turned the ball over, on fumbles, about 5 times. This year, they fumbled the ball 6 times and they recovered every one. That and MHS did not get them in 1 negative play until they got down 2 scores.

I was happy to see the Cards run game looked very good tonight versus what we saw in the scrimmage. The passing game is still awesome. I doubt we see another team run on us like that again this year.
.....................................Team Statistics......................
..........................MAYFIELD................ .UNION CITY
First Downs................11........................... 14
Rushing yards............239..........................314
Passing yards............221............................0
Total yards................460.......................... 314
Penalties..................5-41.........................4-25
Fumbles-Lost.............1-0..........................4-0

Mayfield
Kent Trey Matthews 16 rushes for 194 yards,
Jayden Stinson 9-14 for 221 passing yards and 4 TD
Kade Neely 4 catches for 135 yards

Union City
Kaleb Craig 34 rushes for 204 yards
Congrats to Mayfield.
My son and I were at the game, all along it seemed Union City was really whipping the Cardinals with their running game, but the Cards were always just a point or score behind. The 2nd half we knew was coming as Mayfield just wore them out with fresher players. Games like this drives the fans nuts as they most all like run and gun. Not many teams can stick to a run game like Union City did, takes lots of discipline to win that way. Mayfield is a true phenom with their numbers and skill players from just a small 2A school that can play with most anyone. They also have great fans from the entire city. I'm a Tilghman graduate, my Son is a Lone Oak graduate. We both follow and root for McCracken County football, but root for Paducah and Mayfield otherwise.
blue55 Wrote:My son and I were at the game, all along it seemed Union City was really whipping the Cardinals with their running game, but the Cards were always just a point or score behind. The 2nd half we knew was coming as Mayfield just wore them out with fresher players. Games like this drives the fans nuts as they most all like run and gun. Not many teams can stick to a run game like Union City did, takes lots of discipline to win that way. Mayfield is a true phenom with their numbers and skill players from just a small 2A school that can play with most anyone. They also have great fans from the entire city. I'm a Tilghman graduate, my Son is a Lone Oak graduate. We both follow and root for McCracken County football, but root for Paducah and Mayfield otherwise.

Where in the stadium did you sit? My season ticket seats are right in front of the first press box you pass when you come in. Stop by and say hello next time you are there.
I was sitting on top row second section from concession stand 5-6 seats from the aisle. When I'm back I'll try to find you and say hello. By the way I was @ Tilghman McCracken game. You had to be there to see how bad Tilghman whipped McCracken. McCracken recovered on fumble 1st play. McCracken has uncovered flanker on Tilghman sideline at about 25 yard line quarterback never looked that way ran a run play. It could have been a walk in. Tilghman never let up kept 1st team in most of the time at the end, lots of cramps for Tilghman but McCracken could not sustain anything.
This was a good win for us and certainly not easy. We learned alot about what we have to work on for sure.
I was shunned for mentioning that at breakfast Fri MC.
Here's highlights from the game Friday night and a 2nd video interview with Coach Morris after the game..

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2018/08/17/8-...ron-glory/
Despite the loss, UC is still ranked #1 in TN 2A Coach and AP Polls
They will win another gold ball this year in Tn. They are better this year than last.