Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Phase 1 of Pikeville's WC Hambley Football Facility Renovation is Complete
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I didn’t mean to sound off point, as a I am definitely a supporter and fan of Pikeville/Pike County sports. This thing is great. It really is. But one would think where there’s money for this, there should be money for that too.
VoR_58 Wrote:I didn’t mean to sound off point, as a I am definitely a supporter and fan of Pikeville/Pike County sports. This thing is great. It really is. But one would think where there’s money for this, there should be money for that too.
I can't speak for Pike County because I'm not sure. But I can definitely say the Pikeville school system does pay the teachers very well, and technology is provided to minimize the amount of out of pocket expenses teachers incur. I'm sure there are probably still some, which I agree should never happen. I just thought it incongrous to drag that point in on this thread. But again, I DO agree teachers in general are not paid near enough for what they do.
VoR_58 Wrote:That’s really really nice and all, and great for the kids, but until we have teachers that don’t have to buy their own construction paper and pencils, etc., I can’t get on board with the spending. The teachers, who aren’t generously compensated in the first place, literally have to pay out of pocket for supplies to teach these kids year after year. I mean how much could just 10% of what they are spending on this facility, have done for the teachers and classrooms. But hey, what do I know, right?
Yeah, you don't know. That's not how facilities money works in this state. Even if none of it was donated. Not one penny of facilities money will ever be spent on teachers. There are different pools of money school systems have. Never the twain shal meet. Get mad and rain on someone else parade. That and the fact that a ton of it was donation.
Gosh, you all salty. I didn’t say it was a bad thing. I think it’s awesome. I’m just saying, I think education donations and spending should come first. But yes, this was long overdue for Pikeville’s youngsters. Everyone is so narrow minded these days.
VoR_58 Wrote:Gosh, you all salty. I didn’t say it was a bad thing. I think it’s awesome. I’m just saying, I think education donations and spending should come first. But yes, this was long overdue for Pikeville’s youngsters. Everyone is so narrow minded these days.

They do. Have you ever paid a city schools property tax bill?Confusedhh:
Academics don't take a back seat at Pikeville. For a public high school the school has a good reputation as far as academics are concerned.

Having said that no teacher in any school system should never pay out of pocket expenses for classroom supplies, etc., though everyone knows it happens far too often...especially since teachers are underpaid as it is.
jetpilot Wrote:They do. Have you ever paid a city schools property tax bill?Confusedhh:

We lived in the city school district of Pikeville some years ago, and the city tax bill wasn't cheap by any stretch. However, if you have a child or children in school, look what you get in return.
Lets keep this thread on the topic at hand instead of some political bull crap that these kids have no control over!

When is the rest of the project suppose to be finished? I heard that they were going to have a 50 yard field indoor practice facility?
VoR_58 Wrote:That’s really really nice and all, and great for the kids, but until we have teachers that don’t have to buy their own construction paper and pencils, etc., I can’t get on board with the spending. The teachers, who aren’t generously compensated in the first place, literally have to pay out of pocket for supplies to teach these kids year after year. I mean how much could just 10% of what they are spending on this facility, have done for the teachers and classrooms. But hey, what do I know, right?
Welcome to the thread, Bernie Sanders....😜
jetpilot Wrote:They do. Have you ever paid a city schools property tax bill?Confusedhh:

Most definitely. I own a home in Pikeville.
Spud6 Wrote:Lets keep this thread on the topic at hand instead of some political bull crap that these kids have no control over!

When is the rest of the project suppose to be finished? I heard that they were going to have a 50 yard field indoor practice facility?
Not 50 Yards for sure. It’s the length of the old pool pad.still big enough for short drills, etc in inclement weather.
VoR_58 Wrote:Most definitely. I own a home in Pikeville.

Then you know as well as anyone the zillions of taxpayer dollars spent on education in the city.
Big waste of money. Dont need all that fancy crap for a high school football program. The crap is ridiculous in Texas, Georgia, and some here in Kentucky to. Why not give these kids money to go to college on or teach them how to work while they are in high school with some Vocational type skills. Hire some teachers and make the classrooms smaller. But anyway for what its worth, it looks absolutely awesome.
And oh before I forget, everyone wants to know what happened to all those missing millions from the teachers retirement system. LOOK AROUND. Gazillion dollar football fields and new schools all over the place. Doesnt even take Sherlock Holmes to figure this out.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:And oh before I forget, everyone wants to know what happened to all those missing millions from the teachers retirement system. LOOK AROUND. Gazillion dollar football fields and new schools all over the place. Doesnt even take Sherlock Holmes to figure this out.
New schools needed. And actually, bulk of money “missing” (I.e. never paid into the system to begin with), was usually spent on other pork than that. Most building projects come thru bonds or capital projects in the budget. In both instances, money is used ONLY for buildings/projects and can not be used to pay teachers, buy books, etc. but most of these size projects come thru bonds, and that doesn’t affect the retirement system directly.

And before I forget, schools should at least provide transportation to other teams if the locker room is a mile walk away. Lol
boosters?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Welcome to the thread, Bernie Sanders....😜

Confusednicker:
PHSForever Wrote:New schools needed. And actually, bulk of money “missing” (I.e. never paid into the system to begin with), was usually spent on other pork than that. Most building projects come thru bonds or capital projects in the budget. In both instances, money is used ONLY for buildings/projects and can not be used to pay teachers, buy books, etc. but most of these size projects come thru bonds, and that doesn’t affect the retirement system directly.

And before I forget, schools should at least provide transportation to other teams if the locker room is a mile walk away. Lol

:biglmao:
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Big waste of money. Dont need all that fancy crap for a high school football program. The crap is ridiculous in Texas, Georgia, and some here in Kentucky to. Why not give these kids money to go to college on or teach them how to work while they are in high school with some Vocational type skills. Hire some teachers and make the classrooms smaller. But anyway for what its worth, it looks absolutely awesome.
Welcome to the thread, Hillary Clinton....😜
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Big waste of money. Dont need all that fancy crap for a high school football program. The crap is ridiculous in Texas, Georgia, and some here in Kentucky to. Why not give these kids money to go to college on or teach them how to work while they are in high school with some Vocational type skills. Hire some teachers and make the classrooms smaller. But anyway for what its worth, it looks absolutely awesome.

If Pikeville wasn’t a top 10 performing school district in the state and wasn’t in the top 5 in the state in average teacher salary, I’d agree with you...
Sounds to me like that Bulldog don’t care much for Pikeville. I also watched wymt top 10 and it seems like their is a lot of bulldogs don’t like Pikeville
This complex is super nice and great for these kids. The one thing I don’t like about it when I was playing we didn’t have something that nice, just kidding. It will Sure help this program in the future
Good for them. The only issue I have is with city money being spent on this.
Hope the Panthers put the blinders on and look to Saturday evenings game and don't get distracted by the scoffers and bullcrap on this thread. Pikeville supporters are happy for these young men, and as previously stated, the funds for this project mostly came through donations from supporters. Come out Saturday evening Panthers, and show LCA who's got the best team.TongueirateSho
Real Badman Wrote:Good for them. The only issue I have is with city money being spent on this.
Would have been spent anyway. City was covering losses from major water leaks on the pool that were in the $250k range. Plus constant maintenance from pool equipment breaking down each year. Now those are wiped away plus a lower maintenance facility due to everything being updated. Bills overall should be lower. So win win for the city itself.
Good for Pikeville. There’s money done there and always will be. How those who have that money want to spend it is up to them. Very happy they spent it on this. They are a class act school for athletics and academics and a place teachers want to be. Few places like that. And with anything you have that others don’t, they’ll belly ache about it and complain. Ind. life has its advantages.
To be honest, I am happy for them. I just get sick of hearing about a money crisis in education all the time. Theres new schools everywhere you look in Eastern Kentucky.

Now when our little great governor makes Pikeville a charter school, will they get more or less money? I honestly have no clue.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:To be honest, I am happy for them. I just get sick of hearing about a money crisis in education all the time. Theres new schools everywhere you look in Eastern Kentucky.

Now when our little great governor makes Pikeville a charter school, will they get more or less money? I honestly have no clue.
Pikeville will never be a charter school. You apparently don’t understand how the charter concept works either. 0-2 on how bond/capital money works and how charter schools are formed.
PHSForever Wrote:Would have been spent anyway. City was covering losses from major water leaks on the pool that were in the $250k range. Plus constant maintenance from pool equipment breaking down each year. Now those are wiped away plus a lower maintenance facility due to everything being updated. Bills overall should be lower. So win win for the city itself.

I get that. I hated the pool, TBH. But does the actual city of pikeville have partnerships with Pikeville Independent? What about Pike County Central or Shelby Valley, which are listed in city limits. Nonissue to me, personally. Just curious about the inner workings.
Real Badman Wrote:I get that. I hated the pool, TBH. But does the actual city of pikeville have partnerships with Pikeville Independent? What about Pike County Central or Shelby Valley, which are listed in city limits. Nonissue to me, personally. Just curious about the inner workings.
Partnership. Central and Shelby Valley are not in city limits technically. Pretty complicated arrangement, probably more detailed than I would be wise to try and get into here. Lol
Pages: 1 2 3