Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Throwback Uniforms.... Yay or Nay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not every game or not even every season.... but I think it would be great to see a team break out a throwback uniforms for the football team and cheerleading squad for a special event. I realize the cost would be a big deterrent, but let's say for the sake of argument that all gear is sponsored to no charge to the school or team. Ask the students and fans to dress in older clothing from their school years (if they have any) or even from the time period when the throwback uniforms are from.

So what say you....... Would you be in favor of your team wearing a throwback style uniform? If so, what year and style would said uniform be?

I would love to see my JC team wear the Mustard yellow helmet with black facemask, black jersey with white numerals & lettering and mustard yellow pants.
Not me....for several reasons:

- the old uniforms were not fitted well.

- expensive to buy additional uniforms (as mentioned).

- I like the new gear and uniforms and it's going to be hard to get anyone other than the students be involved in this type of thing.
FoSho Wrote:Not me....for several reasons:

- the old uniforms were not fitted well.

- expensive to buy additional uniforms (as mentioned).

- I like the new gear and uniforms and it's going to be hard to get anyone other than the students be involved in this type of thing.

New uniforms but same style and color scheme for yesteryear. Not the uniforms from 1986 that have been kept in the equipment closet.
I would love this! Estill County used to be dressed head to toe just the the Air Force uniforms in the back in the early 2000's. I personally liked attending games and seeing it. If you don't know what I am talking about, google Air Force Football Uniforms. Lightening Bolt and all!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:New uniforms but same style and color scheme for yesteryear. Not the uniforms from 1986 that have been kept in the equipment closet.

The uniform thing could work if they can be fitted to match the styles of today. However, a true "throwback" tends to look like yesteryear and the form fitting unis might take away from that. The logistics of it would be very difficult to make happen.

In theory, it is a cool idea for the older fans but the players would hate it.
jumpshooter Wrote:I would love this! Estill County used to be dressed head to toe just the the Air Force uniforms in the back in the early 2000's. I personally liked attending games and seeing it. If you don't know what I am talking about, google Air Force Football Uniforms. Lightening Bolt and all!

I LOVED Air Force uniforms in the early 2000s!!! Very very sharp!!!
Corbin did it once not to long ago for the 75th annual pigskin I believe it was. They went with the old maroon jerseys. It was kinda neat. But I’d say very expensive for one game
Hound05 Wrote:Corbin did it once not to long ago for the 75th annual pigskin I believe it was. They went with the old maroon jerseys. It was kinda neat. But I’d say very expensive for one game

Those were pretty awesome. That was while I was in middle school. I think they sold the jerseys to people a couple weeks after the game to help cover the cost.

I think it’s an awesome idea. If money weren’t a problem I think any kind of alternate uniforms are cool.
Montgomery County did it in 2007. They wore the purple and gold uniforms of the old Mt. Sterling High Trojans. Individuals from the community sponsored a uniform and they got to keep them after the game.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Those were pretty awesome. That was while I was in middle school. I think they sold the jerseys to people a couple weeks after the game to help cover the cost.

I think it’s an awesome idea. If money weren’t a problem I think any kind of alternate uniforms are cool.
Corbin already has like 3 uniforms and rumor has it 3 helments. I don’t think money is a problem haha
Granny Bear Wrote:I LOVED Air Force uniforms in the early 2000s!!! Very very sharp!!!

That is exactly how Estill County looked from about 2002-2008. It was nice.
East Ridge planned on doing a throwback night with uniforms and playing a game at Elkhorn City to honor the 64 state championship team. Never happened though.
I would enjoy it. I would pick the Trinity uniform style frlm 1968...their first state football champonship team. The numbers were "fancier" than any in the past 35 years. There would be NO black anywhere on these jerseys. :-)
With school systems already asking more from students as far as supplies and such it is hard for me to see how spending money on throwback uniforms would make sense. Spend the money on supplies for the school room. Use the uniforms the team has. They are good enough. I know that may not be a popular answer, but being financially strapped and a parent seeing these fees and lists from school is sending home is absurd. As a sports fan, I too would enjoy a throwback night, just do not see how under the current financial strain public schools claim they are in, it can be done in good conscience.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Not every game or not even every season.... but I think it would be great to see a team break out a throwback uniforms for the football team and cheerleading squad for a special event. I realize the cost would be a big deterrent, but let's say for the sake of argument that all gear is sponsored to no charge to the school or team. Ask the students and fans to dress in older clothing from their school years (if they have any) or even from the time period when the throwback uniforms are from.

So what say you....... Would you be in favor of your team wearing a throwback style uniform? If so, what year and style would said uniform be?

I would love to see my JC team wear the Mustard yellow helmet with black facemask, black jersey with white numerals & lettering and mustard yellow pants.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:With school systems already asking more from students as far as supplies and such it is hard for me to see how spending money on throwback uniforms would make sense. Spend the money on supplies for the school room. Use the uniforms the team has. They are good enough. I know that may not be a popular answer, but being financially strapped and a parent seeing these fees and lists from school is sending home is absurd. As a sports fan, I too would enjoy a throwback night, just do not see how under the current financial strain public schools claim they are in, it can be done in good conscience.

Please see Bolded, Italic & underlined section of the original post.
I think throwbacks are ok and should only be worn on special occasions. These days, most manufactures can reproduce with the form fitting just as well, so it's all good!!
Real Badman Wrote:East Ridge planned on doing a throwback night with uniforms and playing a game at Elkhorn City to honor the 64 state championship team. Never happened though.

I think that would be really awesome. It would be cool if schools that have been formed from consolidation did throwbacks from the schools they were consolidated from. Harlan county doing an evarts, cawood, or Cumberland game once a year would be cool.