Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Diffusion of Responsibility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why does no one feel a personal responsibility to help someone in need anymore?
thetribe Wrote:Why does no one feel a personal responsibility to help someone in need anymore?

Because in our society people have become nothing but selfish and a large group of thugs, people have learned to turn their shoulder and look the other way, but they're using that in the wrong situations.
Define a few of the circumstances that you are speaking about Tribe.
because most people are pircks and think there better than others.
Since I have grown up, I have learned to help or assist those who really need it. Both of my parents and grandparents as well taught me responsibility, to be responsible for myself and around others as well. If I ever see an elderly person who needs help with someting I will gladly assist them in any way needed.

Kids now a days have been raised just as opposite. They see someone in need or help, they either walk on by, walk away or even worse make fun of them and it really makes me sick to my stomach. Kids now a days hardly have any responsibility and are spoiled to say the least, this is all MO.
Kitty Genovese was stabbed to death while 38 of her neighbors stayed in their apartments. The victim was constantly screaming for help and it took the assailant almost 30 minutes to kill her yet no one even reported the crime to the police, never mind help. A Manchester, New Hampshire woman was brutally raped in a yard just a couple of steps away from her apartment. She was in full view of several neighbors but none came to her cries of help. A Raleigh motorcyclist was injured in an accident and lay on a crowded highway waiting for help. He counted 900 cars in over 3 hours before one stopped to him help. In Boston, a third-year medical student was jumped by four men while coming home from the hospital and many people watched but never intervened. In New York City a bunch of people stood around joking as a 30-year-old man was electrocuted on the third rail of the subway station at Times Square.

Those are only a few examples.
It's sad but true...no one wants to get involved any more. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule?
Stats,
I'm older than you...will you come mow my grass for me? Big Grin
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Stats,
I'm older than you...will you come mow my grass for me? Big Grin

lol, Im busy enough mowing mine and my Grandmas grass. I might be able to fit you in my schedule, lol.
three reasons: 1. people are selfish, the world today raises kids to look out for themselves, not worry about anybody else 2. the world's so messed up and cruel today, that anybody pretending to be hurt could be someone waiting to robb them, play a joke, or hurt them 3. related to 1, people are so caught up in their own lives and problems, that they don't even bother to look at the world outside of their own.

Am I wrong?
BFritz Wrote:three reasons: 1. people are selfish, the world today raises kids to look out for themselves, not worry about anybody else 2. the world's so messed up and cruel today, that anybody pretending to be hurt could be someone waiting to robb them, play a joke, or hurt them 3. related to 1, people are so caught up in their own lives and problems, that they don't even bother to look at the world outside of their own.

Am I wrong?

Looks about right to me Fritz.
yep.
Not everyone is this way Tribe. For instance, just last night.

My dog was on the carport on her chain like usual. She started freaking out and barking terribly. When I went outside I found a 13-14 year old kid who had lost his dog from 2 neighborhoods over and had been chasing him for 30 minutes.

He asked if I would help him find his dog. So I put my shoes on grabbd a couple flashlights and some doggie treats and went to help the kid.
I never asked his name, he never asked for mine. But after 45 minutes of chasing a 2 yo boxer around town we finally got a hold on him and leashed him. He thanked me for the help and I said I was glad to help and for him to be safe walking home. End of story.
No, not everyone IS like that. Personally, I'm not the type of person who would sit back and let someone get harmed right before my eyes or wouldn't set up to help someone in need. I always open doors for people, I will always pick something up for someone when they drop it, and if anyone asks for my help I will always give it to them no matter if it's as simple as directions or loading groceries into their car. Last week I helped a lady in the hospital because she couldn't find her chapstick and wanted it. She mentioned later on that she was hungry and was talking about chili dogs so I ran out and bought her a footlong chili dog with an order of fries. The lady doesn't know my name, probably wouldn't recognize me out anywhere, and may not even remember what I did for her but she was worse off than what I am. I didn't do it for recognition, I did it because I wanted to.
thetribe Wrote:No, not everyone IS like that. Personally, I'm not the type of person who would sit back and let someone get harmed right before my eyes or wouldn't set up to help someone in need. I always open doors for people, I will always pick something up for someone when they drop it, and if anyone asks for my help I will always give it to them no matter if it's as simple as directions or loading groceries into their car. Last week I helped a lady in the hospital because she couldn't find her chapstick and wanted it. She mentioned later on that she was hungry and was talking about chili dogs so I ran out and bought her a footlong chili dog with an order of fries. The lady doesn't know my name, probably wouldn't recognize me out anywhere, and may not even remember what I did for her but she was worse off than what I am. I didn't do it for recognition, I did it because I wanted to.

Tribe i am the same way. I have donated money to the school because I found out some child needed something an couldn't afford it. I like you do not do it for the recognition just because I can't stand to see any child suffer. I would give my last dollar to help someone in need and I also open doors and pick up stuff for people. I have held my nephews and fed them so my sister in law could eat. (her husband was done eating but didn't offer).

I understand what you are saying. There seems to be more that will not help than ones that will help now a days.
thetribe Wrote:No, not everyone IS like that. Personally, I'm not the type of person who would sit back and let someone get harmed right before my eyes or wouldn't set up to help someone in need. I always open doors for people, I will always pick something up for someone when they drop it, and if anyone asks for my help I will always give it to them no matter if it's as simple as directions or loading groceries into their car. Last week I helped a lady in the hospital because she couldn't find her chapstick and wanted it. She mentioned later on that she was hungry and was talking about chili dogs so I ran out and bought her a footlong chili dog with an order of fries. The lady doesn't know my name, probably wouldn't recognize me out anywhere, and may not even remember what I did for her but she was worse off than what I am. I didn't do it for recognition, I did it because I wanted to.

Tribe you are a very good person!