Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Which Mountain School has produced most D1 players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Curious on this issue, I'm sure Belfry and Bell have to be up there, but does anyone know whose produced the most athletes who moved on to paly at the D-1 or any collegiate level, any professionals?
Lamont Sanford Wrote:Curious on this issue, I'm sure Belfry and Bell have to be up there, but does anyone know whose produced the most athletes who moved on to paly at the D-1 or any collegiate level, any professionals?
I know Pikeville has produced:

Bob Shurtleff, DeAnthony Honaker, Mickey Webster (for sure) to UK
Chris McNamee, Zack Burgy VanHoose to EKU
Mark Litrell to Vanderbilt
Chris Ratliff to Harvard (?)
Doug Charles to Nebraska (never played due to a serious knee injury)

I know I’m missing people. All I can think of right now and would have to sit down and really think about it.
Lamont Sanford Wrote:Curious on this issue, I'm sure Belfry and Bell have to be up there, but does anyone know whose produced the most athletes who moved on to paly at the D-1 or any collegiate level, any professionals?

Corbin had Calvin Bird play for the Oakland Raiders.

Steve Bird played a season with the Saint Louis Cardinals I believe.
I may be completely wrong but I think Clay county has

Jacob Hyde to UK
Zach Lewis to Morehead
Davidl Langdon to UK
Chris Walker to Western KY
Michael Todd Walker to EKU
Tim Shickle to Indiana

Jamie Asher who moved to CCHS From Warren Central in Indianapolis ...I think... and only played Basketball (Only in Clay County) then moved on and played football at UofL was drafted and played for the Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles.
PHSForever Wrote:I know Pikeville has produced:

I know I’m missing people. All I can think of right now and would have to sit down and really think about it.

Add Chase Gibson to the list. He got a scholarship to Marshall but absolutely destroyed his knee in practice his freshman year.

I don't know if Jeff Roop to EKU would count. I'm not sure if he played or not.

Would the running back Chapman that went to UK count for Pikeville or Breathitt County?
Westside Wrote:Add Chase Gibson to the list. He got a scholarship to Marshall but absolutely destroyed his knee in practice his freshman year.

I don't know if Jeff Roop to EKU would count. I'm not sure if he played or not.

Would the running back Chapman that went to UK count for Pikeville or Breathitt County?

I thought Chapman went to Tennessee?
Betsy Layne has had the following players play D -1 that I know of.

-Harold Wallace -Morehead State (When MSU was still have D-1 Scholarship School)
-Joey Cecil -Morehead State (When MSU was still have D-1 Scholarship School)
-Brandon Bubba Combs - was an All American at Morehead State
-Blake Spencer -Kentucky
Hatz Wrote:I thought Chapman went to Tennessee?

I think you are referring to Channing Fugate. He played a year or two at Tennessee but finished his career at Eastern Kentucky University.
Hatz Wrote:Corbin had Calvin Bird play for the Oakland Raiders.

I think Jerry, Calvin, Rodger and Billy all played at UK in basketball or football.
Jerry Bird played basketball at Kentucky before going to the NBA.

Neal Smith played at Pikeville and went on to play safety(I think) at Vanderbilt during the late sixties. Btw, I understand he was a good player for the Commodores. Tim McNamee played as punter for the NFL Arizona Cardinals during the 90's until a knee problem ended his career. I'm like you PHSForever, I gotta think about it.

Chris played for Princeton. Add Chuck Huffman to Nebraska too I'm 95% sure. But injury ended his career.
jetpilot Wrote:Chris played for Princeton. Add Chuck Huffman to Nebraska too I'm 95% sure. But injury ended his career.
I may have confused Chuck and Doug to Nebraska, Jet. Old age is getting to me. Lol. Charles Mims had a football scholarship to Morehead back when they were D1-AA also, but I believe he didn’t play, think he quit to support a family.
If we are going back all time, I'd imagine Corbin would have the most in SEKY.

I'm sure one of the lville privates would have the most overall.
Hatz Wrote:Corbin had Calvin Bird play for the Oakland Raiders.

I think it was Roger Bird...
How many did Whitley County have? Smile
Roger played for the raiders and was defensive rookie of the year.
Calvin played for the chargers.
Billy played for uk.
Jerry played basketball for Adolph Rupp and went on to play for the knicks.
Steve played one season for the cardinals, but he went to college at Eku.
Chuck Selvy played at uk
Nolan devaughn played at uk
There was a defensive tackle that played at Clemson back in the 60’s I think he became a judge after football. His first name was Clyde I think.
Jarrod Lawson walked on at uk.
I’m sure there are some more that some older redhounds could think of.
There hasn’t been many D-1 guys come out of Corbin in the last 10+ years. I think that’s about to change though. Lots of talent coming through the pipeline right now.
OldJacket Wrote:I think it was Roger Bird...

You're right. Brain cramp. :Thumbs:
I don't think of Bell as a D1 conduit per se.

Middlesboro D1 players through the years without digging too deep:
Trevor Hoskins (EKU)
Blake Bowling (UK)
Durrell White (UK)
Adam Bowling (Wofford)
Dustin Wynn (UK - made it to campus but never played a game)
Brian Williams (UK)
Vic Adams (UK)
Kenny Roark (UK)
Bill Powell (Morehead - back when they gave football scholarships)
Mr. Obvious Wrote:I don't think of Bell as a D1 conduit per se.

Trevor Hoskins (EKU)
Blake Bowling (UK)
Durrell White (UK)
Adam Bowling (Wofford)
Brian Williams (UK)
Vic Adams (UK)
Kenny Roark (UK)

My thoughts about Bell County as well. I can only think of a few that went Division 1 over the years. :Thumbs:
Mr. Obvious Wrote:I don't think of Bell as a D1 conduit per se.

Trevor Hoskins (EKU)
Blake Bowling (UK)
Durrell White (UK)
Adam Bowling (Wofford)
Brian Williams (UK)
Vic Adams (UK)
Kenny Roark (UK)

And going waaay back, lots more...Ty Disney (UT), Ig and Ug Fuson (UT/Army), Greg Page (UK’s first African-American signee) and Bimbo Fuson (Fran Curci’s first UK signee). Travis Powers from the mid-80’s also had a very nice walk-on career under Bill Curry.
pjdoug Wrote:How many did Whitley County have? Smile

Darrin Shelly, Bob Gibbs, Boston Bryant all play 4 years and graduated from Wofford. Cody Jones played at Morehead transferred to UK played and started several games his junior senior year. Graduated from UK.
Gitback Coach Wrote:And going waaay back, lots more...Ty Disney (UT), Ig and Ug Fuson (UT/Army), Greg Page (UK’s first African-American signee) and Bimbo Fuson (Fran Curci’s first UK signee). Travis Powers from the mid-80’s also had a very nice walk-on career under Bill Curry.

Wow! I can’t believe I left some of those out. Embarrassing.
Mr. Obvious Wrote:Wow! I can’t believe I left some of those out. Embarrassing.

No worries...Jackets have produced quite a few over the years...also, Alex Goforth from the mid-80s was a two-year starter at OT for Central Florida.
I would say Middlesboro has prob had the most D1 recruits in EKY.
Hatz Wrote:My thoughts about Bell County as well. I can only think of a few that went Division 1 over the years. :Thumbs:

Blanton Collier signed Russell Miracle and Roscoe Perkins out of Bell High to play for UK in the early ‘’60s—both were Charlie Bradshaw casualties and transferred to EKU...Perkins spent some time with the Miami Dolphins before coaching in the mountains for decades.

Darrin Clark played a full career at UK, Dallas Greer signed and invested time there...Brent Slusher signed with Auburn...Ben Madon had a good career at EKU, and a kicker (name escapes me) signed/played for WKU.

Bell has more D-1 history than one might think at first—I’m sure I’ve overlooked some.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Roger played for the raiders and was defensive rookie of the year.
Billy played for uk.
Chuck Selvy played at uk
There was a defensive tackle that played at Clemson back in the 60’s I think he became a judge after football. His first name was Clyde I think.
There hasn’t been many D-1 guys come out of Corbin in the last 10+ years. I think that’s about to change though. Lots of talent coming through the pipeline right now.

Dan Chase and Martin Earl Pennington both played for UK...Alan Sadler played for EKU, and the Taylor brothers (Roy and Greg) both played at WKU, I think.
Wow!!!! I absolutely love all this football history, I had no clue about some of these guys.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Blanton Collier signed Russell Miracle and Roscoe Perkins out of Bell High to play for UK in the early ‘’60s—both were Charlie Bradshaw casualties and transferred to EKU...Perkins spent some time with the Miami Dolphins before coaching in the mountains for decades.

Darrin Clark played a full career at UK, Dallas Greer signed and invested time there...Brent Slusher signed with Auburn...Ben Madon had a good career at EKU, and a kicker (name escapes me) signed/played for WKU.

Bell has more D-1 history than one might think at first—I’m sure I’ve overlooked some.

You listed six over sixty years. Two were 1-AA.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Dan Chase and Martin Earl Pennington both played for UK...Alan Sadler played for EKU, and the Taylor brothers (Roy and Greg) both played at WKU, I think.

Caleb Watkins also played at EKU.
Chaz stradley signed with WKU
Jeff Parks played at Murray State
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Roger played for the raiders and was defensive rookie of the year.
Billy played for uk.
Chuck Selvy played at uk
Name some more from Southern Whitley County. lol
Pages: 1 2