Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Flooding in the area.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well its 5:48am and watching the news and see where there is a lot of high water in the Pikeville area. They were also advising of some evacuations taking place in the Belfry area. I hope everyone is safe. Please if your in the area of high waters post the updates on here.
Im right across from the old Belfry High School(Belfry Middle School).....water got up all around my house , but is going down slowly.

Toler,Ky...Hardy, Ky.....Police has a few roads in these areas blocked due to High Water. So as Bat said everyone in these areas be careful.
McDowell Elementary really took a hit. The water got in the school pretty bad and the campus was under about a foot of water or more. They will probably be out od school for a week at least.
Officially, NOAA has a flood warning up for Pikeville/P'burg until 5 p.m., but they're way off ... crest won't happen until sometime after midnight.

The Levisa is out of her banks now in Grundy - US 460 (behind) downtown
is impassable (lowest point is prob. under 3 feet of water right now), and traffic is being re-routed through the redevelopment site. Rain stopped for about an hour, then came back for about 15 minutes before stopping again. Trash is still floating by, so it's still rising.
Since it takes about 12 hours for the water to get from Grundy to Pikeville, crest will prob. be midnight at the earliest there, and after dawn on down stream.
Well I am at Maytown and we will be expecting some water in the streets as the night goes on and Martin as well. My house has an underground basement in it so Ive been non stop moving stuff and getting out stuff sine about 9 this morning.
Levisa crested in Grundy a bit after 3 this afternoon.
There are quiet a few roads closed in Floyd and Pike County...
Johns Creek School has 6 inches in their basement and their softball field is ruined...
Anyone traveling to Pikeville from the Millard/Elkhorn City/Feds Creek side needs to take Chloe Road as Shelbiana has roads closed due to power poles and broken roads.

None of the property around my house is flooded. Part of the bank on one side of the creek broke away early this morning leaving a little ledge of road hanging over and almost took a drain pipe that runs water from a ditch across the road into the creek with the water.

A neighbor traveled about 3 miles this morning to get some breakfast and counted 11 places from here to there that the water was running across the road.

Hopefully everyone has made it home safely today and also have no damage to their homes or vehicles.
It is in the streets at Martin in Floyd County. The South Floyd baseball and softball fields took a big hit. I noticed the fence recently installed at Drift Park was down on the right field side and the water was over the field pretty good earlier but has now gone down. Flooding has always been a problem in this part of our state.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:It is in the streets at Martin in Floyd County. The South Floyd baseball and softball fields took a big hit. I noticed the fence recently installed at Drift Park was down on the right field side and the water was over the field pretty good earlier but has now gone down. Flooding has always been a problem in this part of our state.

Yea Wyatt ur right and they had that field lookin the best taht i have seen it look in a while...but i have sum good news to that... 1 of my friends cause a 15 pound catfish in Center Field...lol thought that was funny...but i dought that SF baseball will play ne games at drift this seasonSad Sad Sad
online stories are reporting a 50 foot section of 460 collapsed in the Millard area. WYMT's blog had a person say about 100 yards of 1 lane is gone between Shelbiana & Chloe.

Haven't heard anything about Hurley, but I know Contrary road between the prison & Whitewood is closed due to mudslides. Haysi/Clinchco got quite a bit of water, and the road going to Nora/Ervinton High (Rt. 63) had a 20 foot section wash away.
VHSL-helper Wrote:online stories are reporting a 50 foot section of 460 collapsed in the Millard area. WYMT's blog had a person say about 100 yards of 1 lane is gone between Shelbiana & Chloe..

I saw pictures from the Pike County Judge Executive's office and I don't know the measurement but the chunk of road missing is HUGE. It stopped right at the center lane divider and was pretty dang wide as well. The guardrail was done the bank probably 6-10 feet as well.
SFHS_basketball Wrote:Yea Wyatt ur right and they had that field lookin the best taht i have seen it look in a while...but i have sum good news to that... 1 of my friends cause a 15 pound catfish in Center Field...lol thought that was funny...but i dought that SF baseball will play ne games at drift this seasonSad Sad Sad

I remember when I was a junior and played at Drift a week or two after a flood and there was a big small mouth and a catfish in right center that had washed up. Pretty interesting to say the least.
They were calling it nuisance flooding on WSAZ tonight.
hope everyone is ok.
Were ok over here at the Maytown area, got in our basement about 4 inches last night and lemme tell ya it stunk to high heavens, but we are in the process of pumping it out right now.
Because of roads still be closed and possibly waters in other areas, has any one heard of any school closing for tomorrow? Rumor has it that there may not be.
thetribe Wrote:Because of roads still be closed and possibly waters in other areas, has any one heard of any school closing for tomorrow? Rumor has it that there may not be.

There will be school tomorrow in Floyd County tomorrow, April 17th...
Girlfriend's aunt works at Valley and she said Pike Co. will be having school.
Works for me guys. I don't have to go anyway. A lady told my mother this morning at the grocery store that it would be called off for tomorrow.
I thought it would be called off tomorrow ... but I guess they think the water will have time to go down by then..