Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Help! I think my dog is sick.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I need your help. It's around 9 pm on Saturday night and my dog is not doing so well. Keep in mind, he's 14 years old. He has only eaten half a can of dog food today...he normally eats two cans and still wants more. He won't drink any water, won't go to the bathroom, nothing. With the exception of eating that little bit earlier today he hasn't moved, he is just laying in one spot sleeping most of the time. He started shivering earlier so I put a blanket on him and he seems to be doing better.

I don't know what to do, there are no veterinarians open right now, and none will be open tomorrow.

Any help?
If it makes you feel any better my dog has not eaten hardly any food and has not drank any water. She has either laid beside me in the couch or in my wifes lap. She won't even go outside to pee. I think that has a lot to do with all of the rain.

Don't know if that is what your dog could be going through.
I hope that's all that's wrong.
Baby Girl has yet to pee that I can find in the house and she will not even take a step off of the porch to pee outside. She has me worried a bit be I will see how she does tomorrow.

I hope that there is nothing more than the weather bothering your dog.
Hopefully neither of you got a hold of that bad dog food. Either way with a dog that old CE i'd get it to the vet asap to see what's up. Maybe this website of symptoms and what to do may help. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/guide-to-do...page1.aspx
alfus21 Wrote:Hopefully neither of you got a hold of that bad dog food. Either way with a dog that old CE i'd get it to the vet asap to see what's up. Maybe this website of symptoms and what to do may help. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/guide-to-do...page1.aspx

Thanks for the heads up Alfus. I think I am safe anyway. All she has ever eaten is Hill's science diet dry and milk bones small treats. The way I understand it is that it mainly effected the canned wet dog food.

I think Baby Girls problem is that she does not want to go out and get her butt wet. She won't even step off of the dry part of the porch.

CE I never thought about it but I read that your dog eats canned. Keep an eye on him and get him to the vet ASAP.
You can get emergency contact numbers for Vets usually. Might want to get one and make a call to try to find out what it wrong over the phone.
Midee1 Wrote:Thanks for the heads up Alfus. I think I am safe anyway. All she has ever eaten is Hill's science diet dry and milk bones small treats. The way I understand it is that it mainly effected the canned wet dog food.

I think Baby Girls problem is that she does not want to go out and get her butt wet. She won't even step off of the dry part of the porch.

CE I never thought about it but I read that your dog eats canned. Keep an eye on him and get him to the vet ASAP.

He seems to be doing better now. He's been going outside and finally ate some more, and for the first time today, he drank some water. He's standing here beside me right now, wandering around the living room.

He does eat wet food, but that's because he only has 3 teeth. He has to eat wet food, he can't chew regular dry food. We had him on Science Diet for a while, but he would try and swallow the kibble whole, and ended up choking.

Anyways, we checked the codes on the bottom of the cans to make sure they weren't from the tainted dog food factory. He's been on the same stuff for about 2 weeks now. We bought a whole bunch at once, like 60 cans. Hasn't had any problem with it as of yet.
That's good news CE. Glad the big boy is up and getting around better. Nothing quite like mans best friend.

What kind of dog is he?

Here is mine setting in my chair.
He's mostly pug, with a little bit of english bulldog in him.
Eeeek they both have that smashed in the face with a pan look. The main difference is that mine has hair.Smile

He's a good looking fellow for 14 years.
Yeah, he hasn't had any trouble until now. Everyone is surprised at how old he is.