Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bengals Drafting Teddy Ginn??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5984

It's not til the last paragraph, but I posted it below.

I was about to kill someone when I saw this, but they're saying that they might be able to use him on defense, as well as special teams and MAYBE some offense. I don't know though, unless they're planning on trading some future draft picks to get him, I wouldn't do it. I'd take an experienced corner, not someone that they just converted. Even with Chris Henry out for the first 8 (if we were planning on using Ginn on offense at all), I think TJ and Chad are good enough to make it easy for any of the back-up receivers to fill in (Chatman, McNeal, Perry, etc.). We've needed a defense for a while, don't bail out on me now.

Quote:TEDDY BALLGAME: Yes, Marvin Lewis was one of three head coaches to attend Ted Ginn’s workout at Ohio State Wednesday along with Scott Linehan of the Rams and Cam Cameron of the Dolphins, according to NFL.com.
Ginn also brought his offensive coordinator, his receivers coach, and special teams coach. Whether that means the Bengals are seriously considering taking Ginn at No. 18 is anyone’s guess and they love to have the league guessing. Remember, it’s been Lewis himself who has been saying it makes sense to go defense in the draft.
Of course, Ginn is telling people that he’d rather play defense as a cornerback and it all gets back to if a playoff contender can afford to draft a projection in the first round. Ginn won’t be there when the Bengals pick in the second.
If the Bengals took him in the first round, it wouldn’t be as a cornerback. It would be the Devin Hester Factor as a receiver/returner. The Bengals finished 29th in both kick and punt returns, but a first-round pick figures to be too pricey for that. Or, the Bengals could be doing due diligence in case some draft maneuvering puts them in position to get some extra picks.
BFritz Wrote:http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5984

It's not til the last paragraph, but I posted it below.

I was about to kill someone when I saw this, but they're saying that they might be able to use him on defense, as well as special teams and MAYBE some offense. I don't know though, unless they're planning on trading some future draft picks to get him, I wouldn't do it. I'd take an experienced corner, not someone that they just converted. Even with Chris Henry out for the first 8 (if we were planning on using Ginn on offense at all), I think TJ and Chad are good enough to make it easy for any of the back-up receivers to fill in (Chatman, McNeal, Perry, etc.). We've needed a defense for a while, don't bail out on me now.

Please tell me this is all just a swerve for the rest of the league. Other than QB, I can't think of another position on the team more set than WR.
More Cowbell Wrote:Please tell me this is all just a swerve for the rest of the league. Other than QB, I can't think of another position on the team more set than WR.

Look at what I posted, not just the title of the thread. They're looking at him as a corner and kick/punt returner.
BFritz Wrote:Look at what I posted, not just the title of the thread. They're looking at him as a corner and kick/punt returner.

If so, 1st round is not the place to be drafting a return guy or someone you are trying to change positions, too much risk. Again, I really hope this is all just a swerve.
More Cowbell Wrote:If so, 1st round is not the place to be drafting a return guy or someone you are trying to change positions, too much risk. Again, I really hope this is all just a swerve.

I agree 100%, and especially not when the defense iis in such need.
yeah i agree we need more defense players than offense.
BFritz Wrote:Look at what I posted, not just the title of the thread. They're looking at him as a corner and kick/punt returner.

He could be like a Chris Gamble type player who also came out of Ohio State and is with the Panthers now doing basically the same thing, and he was WR in College as well. This would be an excellent draft pick for Cincy.
-STATS- Wrote:He could be like a Chris Gamble type player who also came out of Ohio State and is with the Panthers now doing basically the same thing, and he was WR in College as well. This would be an excellent draft pick for Cincy.

Gamble played both ways at Ohio State though (I think, but it's early)
exactly. gamble started both ways in college, ginn played no corner.
BFritz Wrote:Gamble played both ways at Ohio State though (I think, but it's early)

Thats what I thought but I wasnt 100% sure that he played both ways so I didnt post it on here. Regardless, he is a heck of an athlete, and Ginn Jr. will be the same way in the Pros.
No thanks to Teddy Ginn!! We need help on D!!!
-STATS- Wrote:Thats what I thought but I wasnt 100% sure that he played both ways so I didnt post it on here. Regardless, he is a heck of an athlete, and Ginn Jr. will be the same way in the Pros.

I agree, he is a great athlete, but they still would have to teach him a new position, which would make him a risky pick (as a CB) in the 1st round. In a later round, fine, but as was mentioned earlier, he would likely be gone by then.