Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay Co. Wins 13th Region Tourney
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Clay 12 South 2

Rule run in 6 innings Congratulations tigers!!!
Pretty sure this is the first time ever a laurel county team wont be at state. They won every 12th region title before moving to the 13th where they won every region title since 2006 until year.
It is indeed the first time ever, North had won 17 regions and South six in the years leading up to this. But make no mistake, Clay deserved to go, they have been close in the past few years, but they were clearly the best in the 13th this year. They put up 14, 8 and 12 in three region wins, and Owens is very solid in the circle. I’m especially happy for Jamie Gilbert, he’s such a good guy, and took some heat in the past when they didn’t win a region title. They should be favored in their opener against Pikeville, really hope they can win a few games next week.
The Tigers had been knocking on the door the last few years. Up on North before letting it slip away in 2016 and being upset by South in 2017. Unlike most teams making their first trip in state tournaments, I believe they will make some noise in Owensboro and not just be happy to be there. These girls have been on the biggest stages.
Clay was clearly the best team in the 13th this year and is a well deserved champion. Hilariously after getting run ruled by Clay, the sports editor at the Times Tribune still found a way to make it all about his daughter.
Congratulations to the players, staff and Coach Jamie Gilbert, one of the best guys in the business, on your regional championship. Should be a solid favorite in the first game against Pikeville, a team they handled easily earlier in the season, after that things get much tougher, as they should. Looking at Ballard more than likely, which will be the best team they have seen all year.
I know it has probably always been done this way and there are several fields but getting 30 high level softball games in in 3 days seems crazy to me. I imagine the team with two really good pitchers tends to win every year. I mean, the answer is starting games at 9am (which is crazy). Of the major sports, I can't think of another one that starts that early. Baseball has an 11am, I believe and basketball is typically 12. Thinking about Clay County for instance, they could potentially start and play 3 games in 24 hours. I know these kids do that type of thing every summer in baseball, softball, basketball, etc. but this is the state tournament.
Oh believe me it used to be worse. Until just three or four years ago the tourney didn’t start until Friday morning, and it was all done in two days. Even if you won the whole thing without ever suffering a loss, you still had to play 5 games in about 36 hours. Going to single elimination next year will ease it some, I’m assuming it will still be over two days, and it will only take four wins for the champion.
Van Hagar Wrote:Oh believe me it used to be worse. Until just three or four years ago the tourney didn’t start until Friday morning, and it was all done in two days. Even if you won the whole thing without ever suffering a loss, you still had to play 5 games in about 36 hours. Going to single elimination next year will ease it some, I’m assuming it will still be over two days, and it will only take four wins for the champion.
I don’t like the move to single elimination. Softball tournaments are regularly double elimination. The KHSAA could make it easier on the teams by playing more games on Saturday, there’s only 4 teams left playing on Saturday as it is now. I also hate that the reward for winning your first round game is a 9 a. m. Second round game.
I agree totally. The double elimination could be a grind, especially when it was hot, but you got a true champion. And why in the world the eight losing teams don’t have to play the 9 o’clock games, with the 8 winners not having to play til 11, has always been beyond me.
jamesdeane Wrote:Clay was clearly the best team in the 13th this year and is a well deserved champion. Hilariously after getting run ruled by Clay, the sports editor at the Times Tribune still found a way to make it all about his daughter.

If what I’m hearing is true, just wait til they announce player of the year in the 13th this year if you really want your mind blown.
walterwhite Wrote:Congratulations to the players, staff and Coach Jamie Gilbert, one of the best guys in the business, on your regional championship. Should be a solid favorite in the first game against Pikeville, a team they handled easily earlier in the season, after that things get much tougher, as they should. Looking at Ballard more than likely, which will be the best team they have seen all year.

Different team. Pikeville has won 19 out of their last 20. Three teams that beat Pikeville earlier (Johnson Central, Belfry and Lawrence Co) Pikeville came back to go 5-0 against in the rematches and won those 5 games by a combined score of 47-11, and 24-3 in 3 games in the 15th. Clay is very good but Pikeville is very capable of getting the win.:Cheerlead
Van Hagar Wrote:Oh believe me it used to be worse. Until just three or four years ago the tourney didn’t start until Friday morning, and it was all done in two days. Even if you won the whole thing without ever suffering a loss, you still had to play 5 games in about 36 hours. Going to single elimination next year will ease it some, I’m assuming it will still be over two days, and it will only take four wins for the champion.

I hadn’t heard about them going to single elimination. I do believe double elimination gives you a true champion. Just wondering why it wasn’t spread out more. Maybe two weekends or even start on Wednesday. I can’t imagine many schools still in session on the Wednesday this far in June annually. Also agree with what you said about the 9am start for the winners after potentially ending a game late the night before.
And your coaches association 13th region player of the year---per todays Times Tribune---Leslie Dixon of South Laurel, for the third year in a row. I'll leave it there, everybody else can give their thoughts.
Van Hagar Wrote:And your coaches association 13th region player of the year---per todays Times Tribune---Leslie Dixon of South Laurel, for the third year in a row. I'll leave it there, everybody else can give their thoughts.

Stidham from Corbin has a much stronger case for player of the year in my opinion. I'm sure there are others as well, especially the pitcher from Clay Co.:igiveup:
Single Elimination is the best way to go. To many dang games. You lose, you lose. Pack it up and go home. No team is at their best after their 4th or 5th game in two days.
“And your coaches association 13th region player of the year---per todays Times Tribune---Leslie Dixon of South Laurel, for the third year in a row. I'll leave it there, everybody else can give their thoughts.”

All I will say is that much better players were overlooked the previous 3 years. Even the best player for South Laurel was overlooked this year. But I don’t think anyone is shocked. I could say much more, but I think everyone in the tri county area understands.
jetpilot Wrote:Different team. Pikeville has won 19 out of their last 20. Three teams that beat Pikeville earlier (Johnson Central, Belfry and Lawrence Co) Pikeville came back to go 5-0 against in the rematches and won those 5 games by a combined score of 47-11, and 24-3 in 3 games in the 15th. Clay is very good but Pikeville is very capable of getting the win.:Cheerlead

Nothing thrown off towards Pikeville, simply stating the fact that Clay handled them easily earlier in the season. I’m sure Pikeville has improved, but so has Clay County. Owens appears to be back to 100%, and the Tigers are hitting the ball well throughout the lineup. Based on season and tournament results, Clay would be a solid favorite, no disrespect to Pikeville.
On the player of the year debate, my top three in order would have been Owens of Clay, Stidham of Corbin and Jervis of South Laurel. Dixon is a really fine player and had an outstanding career, but this was not her best season. To me Owens was the slam dunk pick.
Van Hagar Wrote:On the player of the year debate, my top three in order would have been Owens of Clay, Stidham of Corbin and Jervis of South Laurel. Dixon is a really fine player and had an outstanding career, but this was not her best season. To me Owens was the slam dunk pick.
I also thought Owens was clearly the best player in the 13th. And by a lot. I'm a Corbin fan, but I thought Stidham from Corbin was next. Stidham had a heck of a career but was overlooked by the media. Felt bad for her last year when she was left off a lot of all star teams. Her mother questioned it and was told by the media that covers Corbin that her stats were all made up. Go figure.
Clay won yesterday 2-0 over Pikeville.
Central Hardin defeated Clay County 6-0. Clay goes to losers bracket to play winner of Estill County-Apollo.
jamesdeane Wrote:I also thought Owens was clearly the best player in the 13th. And by a lot. I'm a Corbin fan, but I thought Stidham from Corbin was next. Stidham had a heck of a career but was overlooked by the media. Felt bad for her last year when she was left off a lot of all star teams. Her mother questioned it and was told by the media that covers Corbin that her stats were all made up. Go figure.
I agree. It's going to be a good one