Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mayfield 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Look for Mayfield to be right in the thick of it and maybe even the favorite going into the 2018 season.
Mayfield has a plethora of skill players and really the only question mark is a young line.
Snakesnot Wrote:Look for Mayfield to be right in the thick of it and maybe even the favorite going into the 2018 season.
Mayfield has a plethora of skill players and really the only question mark is a young line.

Going into this season, and down the stretch, who in your opinion posses the biggest threat against Mayfield making it to Kroger Field , Danville, CAL ?
PHS DYNASTY Wrote:Going into this season, and down the stretch, who in your opinion posses the biggest threat against Mayfield making it to Kroger Field , Danville, CAL ?

No question CAL. They have Milton Wright. Danville may be qood but I doubt that they are on the same level as last year. But they won't play each other until Kroger field. Ocath and Glasgow will be the main threats up to the semi's.
Snakesnot Wrote:No question CAL. They have Milton Wright. Danville may be qood but I doubt that they are on the same level as last year. But they won't play each other until Kroger field. Ocath and Glasgow will be the main threats up to the semi's.

Confusedtare:
That leaves DeSales, who took considerable losses to graduation. Shouldn't be much of a threat as last season. However, 2-A looks to be pretty strong, at least in the upper five. I'm placing my bet on Mayfield though.
Told it was coming, this is just the first salvo.
Snakesnot Wrote:No question CAL. They have Milton Wright. Danville may be qood but I doubt that they are on the same level as last year. But they won't play each other until Kroger field. Ocath and Glasgow will be the main threats up to the semi's.

Pretty sure District 4 (CAL, DeSales, etc.) gets "cross-bracketed" east this fall, so likely a CAL-NewCath matchup for the Region 3 title. The winner then travels to Danville, LCA or Somerset for the semis.

None of the District 5 teams getting cross-bracketed west (Carroll, Owen, Trimble, Walton-Verona, etc.) will pose a threat, IMO.
To hard to say who will pose the biggest threat to keep Mayfield from making finals in the future. After this season CAL, and Desales will not be in 2a. Mayfield will be in a much tougher district in 2019. Also the region will look much different year to year with the crossbracketing of districts. 2018 still will be paired with O Caths district, but the following 3 seasons district 1 will not be paired with district 2. 1 year district 1 will be paired with danvilles district the first 3 rounds. Starting this year they also will start reseeding for the semi finals, so who knows who will be playing who in the semis.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Pretty sure District 4 (CAL, DeSales, etc.) gets "cross-bracketed" east this fall, so likely a CAL-NewCath matchup for the Region 3 title. The winner then travels to Danville, LCA or Somerset for the semis.

None of the District 5 teams getting cross-bracketed west (Carroll, Owen, Trimble, Walton-Verona, etc.) will pose a threat, IMO.

I look for Somerset to be improved and be a threat to anybody they play.
Look for Mayfield's defense to be top notch with Brady Smith, Q. Cherry and Marksio Jackson leading the way. Mayfield will be very deep at the running back position, Matthews, Haliburton and Galbreath will lead the way.
who will replace our graduating line men do they have some size?
This should be a fun team to watch. The Cards are deep and talented in all the skill spots, including the 2 QB's. The obvious will be how well the line play develops. The defense will miss LB Hurt but otherwise should be outstanding. This team is a major threat to win the state title this year.
MF lost some on the O-Line but one senior is a monster and the talent level is high. They will benefit from some tough games early and improve for a deep run this year. I do look forward to a possible matchup with Glasgow as they have a nice program. Be nice to mix it up.
Mayfield will spread the field like they never have before. Speed everywhere and crazy depth at the running back position.
I assume we go back to scrimmages with Milan this year but with the cousin Morris Coach at Milan having retired I wonder if that is no longer going to happen. Anyone hear anything? last year it was that event with a bunch of teams at Madisonville and of course Madisonville is coached by former Mayfieldian Jay Burgett
If we can protect the QB we should be pretty good.
rookie57 Wrote:If we can protect the QB we should be pretty good.

Or maybe fast enough this year that it helps in protecting the qb
As good as Mayfield will be in the skill positions, they still have to have guys that can open up some holes for them. They may can get by most on talent alone, but, when it comes down to Elite 8, Semi's and finals, you have to be strong in the trenches because you can bet, the team lined up on the other side will be.. The DL should be fine, it's the OL I have questions about.. Hopefully, they'll have 3 or 4 guys step up and give them quality play..
KYHSFBFan Wrote:As good as Mayfield will be in the skill positions, they still have to have guys that can open up some holes for them. They may can get by most on talent alone, but, when it comes down to Elite 8, Semi's and finals, you have to be strong in the trenches because you can bet, the team lined up on the other side will be.. The DL should be fine, it's the OL I have questions about.. Hopefully, they'll have 3 or 4 guys step up and give them quality play..

Mayfield can move some players around and have quite a nice offensive line. They will give the younger guys first shot but you could see some guys whom you never thought playing offensive line. Either way, I see this team at Kroger field.
SImpleplan Wrote:MF lost some on the O-Line but one senior is a monster and the talent level is high. They will benefit from some tough games early and improve for a deep run this year. I do look forward to a possible matchup with Glasgow as they have a nice program. Be nice to mix it up.

Mayfield will be tough. Glasgow is getting too much credit.
I expect it'll be OB Cath in the Regional Finals, Walton Verona in the semi's and CAL in the finals, should they make it that far..
CAL vs Mayfield will draw a good crowd. It’s a shame it will look like a small crowd in that stadium. There will be a lot of red.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:I expect it'll be OB Cath in the Regional Finals, ..

OC has a lot of question marks to me given they have a new skipper
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:OC has a lot of question marks to me given they have a new skipper

I'd say you are right. He has no experience as a head coach ?
Likely to be Murray back at War Memorial for regionals.
mysonis55 Wrote:Likely to be Murray back at War Memorial for regionals.

Murray has been down lately, I have no idea what they have this year but from your post I assume you have a idea. Do tell why you think it will be Murray
From looking at the stats from last year for murray, and their roster it does seem they return a good amount of starters, and should be pretty good.
Murray should have a lot returning. They also have a coach that has previous championship experience. OC has a new coach this year and that is going to be a bit of a setback.
After watching some practices I'm very confident in the team's ability to pass and receive. The O-Line is still the question, right? There is plenty of talent just have to see who earns it. I'm interested to see how well Galbreath does at RB. He's a beast. Plus Matthews will be running along with Halliburton.
It begins and ends with the O line.
Pages: 1 2