Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnny lemaster offered pikeville job?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody hear anything on this?
Heard it, but I don’t think it was suppose to be known at this time.
Heard Belfrys baseball coach was the frontrunner.
Pikeville High School? or UPike?
Pikeville high school. The rumor has been floating around since spring break. I heard it at the Cal Ripken Experience while we were there.
TrueblueUK Wrote:Heard Belfrys baseball coach was the frontrunner.
Definitely not a good fit - oil and water
4everUK Wrote:Definitely not a good fit - oil and water

Now I'm hearing Simpkins has the job if he wants it.
Who has officially applied for the coaching position?
Rumor I heard was he was going, taking 3 of the grandkids. Then the son-in-law and senior QB grandson will join them after football season.
I mean, in all-reality isn’t anyone wondering how the Beltry coach still has a job? lol! I don’t get it. He’s been there a couple decades now, and has always been around .500 with his team record. It’s pretty clear, however, the Belfry “decision makers” have no clue that Belfry has a baseball team. lol! For me, getting beat by a “powerhouse” program like the Phelps Hornets should be the last draw.
baseball1974 Wrote:I mean, in all-reality isn’t anyone wondering how the Beltry coach still has a job? lol! I don’t get it. He’s been there a couple decades now, and has always been around .500 with his team record. It’s pretty clear, however, the Belfry “decision makers” have no clue that Belfry has a baseball team. lol! For me, getting beat by a “powerhouse” program like the Phelps Hornets should be the last draw.

First, I know you are upset you didn't get the job. Sorry for that. Confusedhh: Secondly, do you realize that Belfry has been in the 15th region finals several times over the past 10 seasons? Nope. You don't. How long has it been since Ashland has won the 16th? How that guy still has HIS job is beyond my understanding. Ashland should dominate the 16th region.........time for a new coach there if you ask me.......:Thumbs:
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:First, I know you are upset you didn't get the job. Sorry for that. Confusedhh: Secondly, do you realize that Belfry has been in the 15th region finals several times over the past 10 seasons? Nope. You don't. How long has it been since Ashland has won the 16th? How that guy still has HIS job is beyond my understanding. Ashland should dominate the 16th region.........time for a new coach there if you ask me.......:Thumbs:

I agree with you. In theory, LeMaster was probably a good idea, but it hasn’t worked out apparently for whatever reason. On the other thing, 3 times in 10 years, and the past four years not even making it to the region tournament. That’s beyond terrible, especially when you are playing in the second worst region in the state.
baseball1974 Wrote:I agree with you. In theory, LeMaster was probably a good idea, but it hasn’t worked out apparently for whatever reason. On the other thing, 3 times in 10 years, and the past four years not even making it to the region tournament. That’s beyond terrible, especially when you are playing in the second worst region in the state.

I wouldn't completely say that...Maybe internally from top to bottom, but I think that Johnson Central, Pikeville, and a few years ago, Lawrence Co., made this region's representative very respectable. I believe it was JC who knocked off the #1 team in state in the state tournament just a few years ago and over the last 10 years or so been one of the state's better teams. There are probably a couple regions out in western Kentucky too that might not even be as good, top to bottom, as the 15th.
Bob Seger Wrote:I wouldn't completely say that...Maybe internally from top to bottom, but I think that Johnson Central, Pikeville, and a few years ago, Lawrence Co., made this region's representative very respectable. I believe it was JC who knocked off the #1 team in state in the state tournament just a few years ago and over the last 10 years or so been one of the state's better teams. There are probably a couple regions out in western Kentucky too that might not even be as good, top to bottom, as the 15th.

I think Shane Simpkins from JC got the Pikeville job. We're just whipping a dead horse talking about Johnny.

Paintsville should be on this list, they won the 15th region last year and should be good this year too.
Bob Seger Wrote:I wouldn't completely say that...Maybe internally from top to bottom, but I think that Johnson Central, Pikeville, and a few years ago, Lawrence Co., made this region's representative very respectable. I believe it was JC who knocked off the #1 team in state in the state tournament just a few years ago and over the last 10 years or so been one of the state's better teams. There are probably a couple regions out in western Kentucky too that might not even be as good, top to bottom, as the 15th.

With that same argument you can throw perry Central and hazard in it as well, and you’d be arguing about being the worst. I’m talking about from top to bottom. The only other two are the 13th Region and the 12th. In certain years they might have had a team that was better, but consistently the 14th and 15th are the worst regions top to bottom.

The 3rd and 4rd Regions would be a good argument for that. However, you would still have Daviess County, Logan County, Bowling Green, Owensboro, etc. to deal with. Also one thing I will say when comparing their worst team to the 14th and 15th worst team is the 3rd and 4th Region worsts would 10-run the worsts from the 14th and 15th.
baseball1974 Wrote:With that same argument you can throw perry Central and hazard in it as well, and you’d be arguing about being the worst. I’m talking about from top to bottom. The only other two are the 13th Region and the 12th. In certain years they might have had a team that was better, but consistently the 14th and 15th are the worst regions top to bottom.

The 3rd and 4rd Regions would be a good argument for that. However, you would still have Daviess County, Logan County, Bowling Green, Owensboro, etc. to deal with. Also one thing I will say when comparing their worst team to the 14th and 15th worst team is the 3rd and 4th Region worsts would 10-run the worsts from the 14th and 15th.

You can pretty much set the field for the 14th regional tournament right now, as you can every year. Powell, Estill, Knott, Letcher are locks. Hazard and Perry unless they draw each other in district. Regional winner has came from these six teams 2003-2018. Team from the 55th district hasn't won since Knott in 1993.
BallFan1952 Wrote:I think Shane Simpkins from JC got the Pikeville job. We're just whipping a dead horse talking about Johnny.

Paintsville should be on this list, they won the 15th region last year and should be good this year too.

huh??

Not sure that what I said had anything to do with anything that what you said. As far as Paintsville, if you want to talk 20 years ago, you could say they were the standard bearer..However, this past season was their first regional championship team in, what, something like 16 or 17 years?
baseball1974 Wrote:With that same argument you can throw perry Central and hazard in it as well, and you’d be arguing about being the worst. I’m talking about from top to bottom. The only other two are the 13th Region and the 12th. In certain years they might have had a team that was better, but consistently the 14th and 15th are the worst regions top to bottom.

I think that could almost be confined to Hazard as far as a team from the 14th putting a team in the state tournament being able to compete past a first round win..I cant remember a Perry Co. team in say the last 15 years that I would consider a stately competitive team (or even a strong regional contender), other than the last couple of years...I personally think that the Coach Dean teams (Letcher & Powell) were the stronger alternatives to Hazard in this same time span..

In the last 15 years , out of the 15th, you have had 3 different teams make it to the final 4. That being Johnson Central, Pikeville, and Lawrence Co. , with Lawrence also being the state runner up..There are a bunch of regions that cant claim that 3 different teams have advanced that far. Granted I understand what you are saying, but there are also some pretty bad teams out in Western Kentcky as well, with their top tier teams not coming close to having 3 different teams advancing that far....Shoot there are some horrible teams in the 6th and 7th as well.
Speaking of Johnny LeMaster , did anyone see the interview of him, along with his 4 grandsons sitting in the stands at a Giants game where he was being honored by the Giants..His picture was even on the tickets..I thought that was just awesome!!
Bob Seger Wrote:I think that could almost be confined to Hazard as far as a team from the 14th putting a team in the state tournament being able to compete past a first round win..I cant remember a Perry Co. team in say the last 15 years that I would consider a stately competitive team (or even a strong regional contender), other than the last couple of years...I personally think that the Coach Dean teams (Letcher & Powell) were the stronger alternatives to Hazard in this same time span..

In the last 15 years , out of the 15th, you have had 3 different teams make it to the final 4. That being Johnson Central, Pikeville, and Lawrence Co. , with Lawrence also being the state runner up..There are a bunch of regions that cant claim that 3 different teams have advanced that far. Granted I understand what you are saying, but there are also some pretty bad teams out in Western Kentcky as well, with their top tier teams not coming close to having 3 different teams advancing that far....Shoot there are some horrible teams in the 6th and 7th as well.

You are absolutely right about the 6th and 7th Region. There are some years you don’t even know if certain teams will have baseball or not. The 11th Region is by far the most dominant and it amazes me when they try and throw Louisville Regions in that mix. There was a time at the beginning of last season when all five teams in the 43rd District were ranked in the top 15 in the state with Dunbar, Lexington Christian, Lexington Catholic, Tates Creek, and Lafayette. Only two of those teams are represented in the region tournament. Think about that? How does that make sense? We need a new system.

Granted, there are four or five in both regions that could go far in the Louisville regions every year and state for that matter. It was intense to watch how overwhelmed most of the teams in the state tournament were against St. X. They may hang around for theee maybe four innings but that was it. No reason why they should be competing in the same state tournament as Hazard. It’s unbelievable.

As far as the 15th goes, I hadn’t fully considered the 13th and the 12th either. Both of those are strong at the top but that’s It. I think right now they are slightly ahead of the 15th but not by much. Once Paintsville, Pikeville, JC, LC, and hopefully another team all get close to the same level, I think it will propel them over those two. I do think they are better than the 14th and in some years even the 16th. Not knowing as much about western KY as needed for this argument I will rephrase and say “east of Lexington.”
Speaking of Johnny Lemaster I guess they are all back now in the 15th region. Grandkids have all enrolled back at Paintsville.