Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pettigrew Hopes Gillispie Will Call...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
“I’m still leaving my options open, but if he calls me I will consider it,” Pettigrew said. “I’ve always been a Kentucky fan but when Tubby Smith was there I never got any love from him. I hope (Gillispie) will give me a look.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs...3/70406045
I sure hope Gillispie gives him a look too. That would get Gillispie some early brownie points with us UK fans.
I know everyone wants him because he's from Kentucky. His top choices are Western KY, Xavier and Saint Louis.

Do we really fit in with that class of teams when you have the possibility of adding Jordan, Patterson and Lucas? If one of those guys falls through, then I don't have a problem going after Pettigrew.
I would much rather have Lucas, Patterson, or Jordan over him. The fact that the colleges he is considering are no where near the league that UK basketball is usually shows that he really isn't expecting much and if he knows that he can't handle playing at a school such as UK then maybe he shouldn't play. If our scholarships could go to better players, the above named for example, then by all means give them to those who deserve them and pick up Pettigrew if those fall through and we have that extra.
thetribe Wrote:I would much rather have Lucas, Patterson, or Jordan over him. The fact that the colleges he is considering are no where near the league that UK basketball is usually shows that he really isn't expecting much and if he knows that he can't handle playing at a school such as UK then maybe he shouldn't play. If our scholarships could go to better players, the above named for example, then by all means give them to those who deserve them and pick up Pettigrew if those fall through and we have that extra.

Totally agree. The next few days are going to be really interesting to watch and see what impact Gillispie will have on Kentucky recruiting.
Definitely JJ. If Gillispie starts out by getting the recruits that we have had our eyes on then he will be starting out on the right foot with the college and its fan base. We, Wildcat fans, expect so much out of the program that it would be very easy to disappoint us and turn us against you in the first season so by picking up some of the best recruits in the country then that would impact our view of him as a coach as well as how good we will do in the season.
This would be GREAT!!!!
Call him please call him, Ill call you for him or text...lol......I think we need a strong freshman class this year
Hope he go gets him
How many stars is Pettigrew?
Yeah I also really hope Gillispie considers calling him.
Pettigrew is a good player guys....but from the choices and schools that he is being looked by, Kentucky is superior to all of them. I see him going to a good division I school, but Kentucky would prolly be a little bit to much for him. But good luck to him !!
UK has to have either him or Walls IMO to get the entire Bluegrass behind this recruiting class.
thetribe Wrote:Definitely JJ. If Gillispie starts out by getting the recruits that we have had our eyes on then he will be starting out on the right foot with the college and its fan base. We, Wildcat fans, expect so much out of the program that it would be very easy to disappoint us and turn us against you in the first season so by picking up some of the best recruits in the country then that would impact our view of him as a coach as well as how good we will do in the season.

True fans would never turn against their coach. My father says that there are UK fans and UK critics. I'm a UK fan, I'll always support our coach. I may want a change as I did with Tubby but I never turned on him. Any so-called fan who would turn on Gillispie in the very first season is a UK critic. People have to be realistic with these things. The UK critics are what's giving UK's fanbase a bad name throughout the country. Most people outside Kentucky think UK fans are unrealistic nuts who will run you out of town or turn against you if you don't win a championship or if you don't run a transition game. Please, Please, Please be a UK fan and not a UK critic.
-STATS- Wrote:Yeah I also really hope Gillispie considers calling him.
Pettigrew is only a 3-Star recruit according to Rivals.com. However, he averaged 33.6 ppg and 14 rpg this season. To me, stars don't mean much when it comes to some players. Acie Law IV was a 3-Star recruit coming out of high school, and so was Chris Lofton, and I think they've turned out to be pretty good. Pettigrew is a beast. I hope to see him wearing Blue and White next season.
DevilsWin Wrote:UK has to have either him or Walls IMO to get the entire Bluegrass behind this recruiting class.
Well personally I'd take Austin Hill from Holmes over both these guys and I've seen all 3 play...jmo.
Since when has Walls been in the picture?
DevilsWin Wrote:UK has to have either him or Walls IMO to get the entire Bluegrass behind this recruiting class.
No they don't.
thetribe Wrote:Since when has Walls been in the picture?

He was considering walking on at UK. But I also heard that EKU was also looking at him pretty heavily.
He should go somewhere where he could play EKU would be a place where Walls could have a huge career. He will never see the court at a major D-I school untill maybe late in his career, just stating the facts.
Ref Devil Wrote:True fans would never turn against their coach. My father says that there are UK fans and UK critics. I'm a UK fan, I'll always support our coach. I may want a change as I did with Tubby but I never turned on him. Any so-called fan who would turn on Gillispie in the very first season is a UK critic. People have to be realistic with these things. The UK critics are what's giving UK's fanbase a bad name throughout the country. Most people outside Kentucky think UK fans are unrealistic nuts who will run you out of town or turn against you if you don't win a championship or if you don't run a transition game. Please, Please, Please be a UK fan and not a UK critic.

I didn't like Tubby but I watched all of UK's game. I understand that we have to have realistic expectations and I'm not one of the fans that I described. I'm saying that it is very easy to turn our fan base against a person when they don't meet our high expectations. I will support Kentucky no matter what happens during the season. They will always be my favorite college basketball team no matter who their coach and what their record.
FBALL Wrote:No they don't.
LOL IYO....
I agree with FBALL. I don't think that BCG has to get Pettigrew or Walls in order to have support for his recruiting.
Coach needs to get this kid. He wants to play for UK. He was talkin about the name on the front of the jersey, well this kid respects that.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Coach needs to get this kid. He wants to play for UK. He was talkin about the name on the front of the jersey, well this kid respects that.
Wanting to Play for Kentucky and actually being able to play for them is entirely two different things. Can he play at a level that would be demanded of him at UK and in the SEC?
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Wanting to Play for Kentucky and actually being able to play for them is entirely two different things. Can he play at a level that would be demanded of him at UK and in the SEC?
No one thought Lofton could, Tubby told Brewer that he couldn't. Put the kid on the team.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Wanting to Play for Kentucky and actually being able to play for them is entirely two different things. Can he play at a level that would be demanded of him at UK and in the SEC?

Exactly! Western KY, Xavier and Saint Louis are his other choices. Any kid in the state would WANT to play for Kentucky but being ABLE to play is totally different. I couldn't have said it better myself Lookayanner. The boy has low expectations for himself by looking to play at the 3 schools I listed in my opinion, if he could shine at Western then he may be on the bench at UK..
thetribe Wrote:Exactly! Western KY, Xavier and Saint Louis are his other choices. Any kid in the state would WANT to play for Kentucky but being ABLE to play is totally different. I couldn't have said it better myself Lookayanner. The boy has low expectations for himself by looking to play at the 3 schools I listed in my opinion, if he could shine at Western then he may be on the bench at UK..

Cameron Mills wanted to play for Kentucky, wasn't able, but worked until he was. Most players don't have the heart Mills did, and that's where the want to comes into play.

I think Kentucky may be too much for Pettigrew and I'm sorry, but I'm not too wrapped up in having to recruit in-state players and assuming they all have the heart to be Wildcats, yet I would give Pettigrew a shot if the others (Patterson, Lucas, Jordan, JUCO's) don't work out.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Cameron Mills wanted to play for Kentucky, wasn't able, but worked until he was. Most players don't have the heart Mills did, and that's where the want to comes into play.

I think Kentucky may be too much for Pettigrew and I'm sorry, but I'm not too wrapped up in having to recruit in-state players and assuming they all have the heart to be Wildcats, yet I would give Pettigrew a shot if the others (Patterson, Lucas, Jordan, JUCO's) don't work out.

Great post JJ. I totally agree with you.
hope he picks him up