Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK gets permission to speak with Billy Donovan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's the link on WKYT.

http://www.wkyt.com/sports
Looks like all have been telling the truth no contact prior between Billy D. directly with UK.
Kentucky has now gotten permission to talk to Billy Donovan, this was the first story on the 11 o'clock news tonight on WKYT. This at least puts an end to all the "What is taking barndhart so long" threads.
This doesn't mean no contact has been made, Remember the whole tubby deal. Minnesota officially got permission to talk to tubby on the same day that he left for the job. We later found out that the deal had already been in the works for weeks. I think the same thing is happening with donovan. I had started a thread on this too, just a few minutes after this one.
I don't know why people have questioned Barnhart on why he has taken so long to contact Donovan. His team just ended the season 48 hours ago. It would have been pretty disrespectful to contact him so quick and not let him celebrate his title. Plus Barnhart couldn't talk to him prior to the end of the season. His agent could have been negotiating the contract but that is quite different than discussing it with the guy himself who needs to discuss the specifics.

This is playing out just like it's supposed to. We have plenty of time to talk to coaches and hire one. Fans just need to be patient on the issue, even if we don't have a coach by the end of this week.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:This doesn't mean no contact has been made, Remember the whole tubby deal. Minnesota officially got permission to talk to tubby on the same day that he left for the job. We later found out that the deal had already been in the works for weeks. I think the same thing is happening with donovan. I had started a thread on this too, just a few minutes after this one.

I'm sure we've contacted the agent prior to this but I think they've been speaking the basic truth so far that no direct contact with Billy D. had occurred.

I combined the two threads already.Cool
I agree Alfus we still have plently of time but I sure would like to have it over with.
Yeah Im sure no direct contact has been made, but I know Billy D is aware of what UK has to offer. Thanks for combining the threads.

I agree that plenty of time is left to make a deal, but it needs to be done quickly. The quicker this is done the better chance we have of landing the big recruits (Patterson, Lucas) Even if it isnt donovan that we get, UK needs to move quickly.
Coach was anything else said during the sports report on KYT?
Not really, they showed a short clip of a post-press conference interview with Donavon where he done his usually dodging of the question. But he did say that he would make a decision soon, for the sake of his family.

I think they mentioned this story around 4 times during the show, they really wanted to let people know...lol
alfus21 Wrote:I don't know why people have questioned Barnhart on why he has taken so long to contact Donovan. His team just ended the season 48 hours ago. It would have been pretty disrespectful to contact him so quick and not let him celebrate his title. Plus Barnhart couldn't talk to him prior to the end of the season. His agent could have been negotiating the contract but that is quite different than discussing it with the guy himself who needs to discuss the specifics.

This is playing out just like it's supposed to. We have plenty of time to talk to coaches and hire one. Fans just need to be patient on the issue, even if we don't have a coach by the end of this week.

Barnhardt has handled it pretty well... Roy Williams has said that if UNC had contacted him directly the week of the Final Four in 03 he would have told them to "go off..."

I would venture a pretty good guess UK has been in touch with Donovans "people" before tonight...
No doubt about it FN. Fans just need to stay patient. Billy Donovan will most likely be the next coach at UK it's just a matter of time before it's announced. If he doesn't come (which isn't likely in my mind) then plan b will be a very good coach as well that the fans will enjoy.
Fans need to stay Patient. I think we have been since the 1999 season. We need to hire now or we will be left without any great coaches to go after.