Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Global Warming?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you think we are causing global warming? Should we do anything about it? If so, are you doing anything to help lower your energy emissions?
If you don't believe that humans contribute to global warming you need to read National Geographic Magazine.

What did you read in school? Did you read anything?

Or did you get your information from Fox News- Sean Hannity- Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck?
I'm not saying I do or don't agree with it. Just posing a question.
DevilsWin Wrote:Or did you get your information from Fox News- Sean Hannity- Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck?
Yup. :thumpsup: But I will do more of my own research and show it to you.
I dont think there is any doubt that we are contributing, but the amount people like Gore say we are is a bit of an exageration. I don't think they know how much is natural and how much is due to man.
Beef Wrote:Yup. :thumpsup: But I will do more of my own research and show it to you.

Hannity-Babbling Republican lap dog
Rush- Idiotic ignorant hypocritical drug addict
Glenn Beck- Pure entertaiment no news value
Fox News- Rupert Murdoch's attempt to "control" the American Political debate.
DevilsWin Wrote:Hannity-Babbling Republican lap dog
Democrat I take it. And IF we are contributing to the global warming problem (if it exists) then your man Mr. Gore is one of the top greenhouse gas contributor in the United States.

This will be a battle of both sides reporting the facts that they believe. There are scientists that support both views so we can each find "facts" about it.
Beef Wrote:Democrat I take it. And IF we are contributing to the global warming problem (if it exists) then your man Mr. Gore is one of the top greenhouse gas contributor in the United States.

This will be a battle of both sides reporting the facts that they believe. There are scientists that support both views so we can each find "facts" about it.

OK Beef lets see some facts from your side of the argument. BTW I have not seen the Multiple Award winning documentary "An Inconvenient Truth".

Last time I checked W has already admitted that even he now believes in "Global Climate Change". I believe it was during the "State of The Union". Of course they change the language to make it sound less threatening. Just like when they call an "Escalation of the War" a "Troop Surge". LOL

And yes I am "Proud To Be A Democrat".:USAFlag:
Environmentalists claim that world temperatures have risen one degree Fahrenheit in the past century, but they take as their starting point — around 1880 — was colder than average. What's more, the timing of temperature changes does not appear to support the theory of global warming. Most of the rise came before 1940 —before human-caused emissions of 'greenhouse' gases became significant.

The world seems to be on a cycle around 40 years. What ever happened to the Ice Age that was coming in the 1970's? Seems as if the 'greens' that were pushing for the government to do something to heat the world up have now changed their stance. Just as that was a myth, this too will prove to be one within the next 15-20 years.

If humans do play a part, what part do we actually play? Not enough to actually effect the "change". For example, when the Mount Pinatubo volcano erupted, within just a few hours it had thrown into the atmosphere 30 million tonnes of sulphur dioxide— almost twice as much as all the factories, power plants and cars in the United States do in a whole year. Oceans emit 90 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse gas, every year. Decaying plants throw up another 90 billion tonnes, compared to just six billion tonnes a year from humans.

I'll agree with you that the temperature has gone up over the past decade or so, but then again, it has increased since since the late 1600's.
Beef Wrote:Environmentalists claim that world temperatures have risen one degree Fahrenheit in the past century, but they take as their starting point — around 1880 — was colder than average. What's more, the timing of temperature changes does not appear to support the theory of global warming. Most of the rise came before 1940 —before human-caused emissions of 'greenhouse' gases became significant.

The world seems to be on a cycle around 40 years. What ever happened to the Ice Age that was coming in the 1970's? Seems as if the 'greens' that were pushing for the government to do something to heat the world up have now changed their stance. Just as that was a myth, this too will prove to be one within the next 15-20 years.

If humans do play a part, what part do we actually play? Not enough to actually effect the "change". For example, when the Mount Pinatubo volcano erupted, within just a few hours it had thrown into the atmosphere 30 million tonnes of sulphur dioxide— almost twice as much as all the factories, power plants and cars in the United States do in a whole year. Oceans emit 90 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse gas, every year. Decaying plants throw up another 90 billion tonnes, compared to just six billion tonnes a year from humans.

I'll agree with you that the temperature has gone up over the past decade or so, but then again, it has increased since since the late 1600's.

Whatever Dude.:lame:
How can you not say that what we do contributes to any type of climate change? We put a freakin' hole in the ozone layer...how's that for what we do effecting the planet?
Here are my "facts":

The number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes has almost doubled in the last 30 years.

The flow of ice from glaciers in Greenland has more than doubled over the past decade.

At least 279 species of plants and animals are already responding to global warming, moving closer to the poles.

Global sea levels could rise by more than 20 feet with the loss of shelf ice in Greenland and Antarctica, devastating coastal areas worldwide.

The Arctic Ocean could be ice free in summer by 2050.

More than a million species worldwide could be driven to extinction by 2050.

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), this era of global warming "is unlikely to be entirely natural in origin" and "the balance of evidence suggests a discernible human influence of the global climate."

The Earth is absorbing more energy from the Sun than it is giving back into space.

Over the past 40 years there has been considerable warming of the planetary system and approximately 90 per cent of that warming has gone directly into the oceans.

Beef Wrote:Yup. :thumpsup: But I will do more of my own research and show it to you.
Beef this site may give you more info on global warming

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/global_warming.html
Us humans have to be having an effect on the Earth. There is no doubt in my mind that says otherwise.
Well I know how to swim so im ready for it lol.
:graduate: I'm suprised Beef hasn't cited this weeks cold spell as proof that there isn't global warming.
You didn't give me a chance. I haven't had access to a computer since Thursday. I'll get back to you if I get all my work done for the night.
DevilsWin Wrote:If you don't believe that humans contribute to global warming you need to read National Geographic Magazine.

What did you read in school? Did you read anything?

Or did you get your information from Fox News- Sean Hannity- Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck?
Of course humans contribute to global warming. Who else would? By the way this global warming stuff is killing me this weekend. Inch of snow on my deck Saturday morning.Smile
Who the hell knows if it's global warming or not??? One day it's 90 degrees, the next it's 30 & snowing. Blah de blah.
Woo Wee Wrote:Who the hell knows if it's global warming or not??? One day it's 90 degrees, the next it's 30 & snowing. Blah de blah.

Uh, there's a difference between changing seasons and global warming.
DevilsWin Wrote:Hannity-Babbling Republican lap dog
I guess you know these people to make that conclusion?
RavenBoy Wrote:I guess you know these people to make that conclusion?
That's the most ridiculous argument ever. Not to mention it's cliche.

So in that case I'll say yes I know enough to develop this opinion.
The latest expose on Global warming politics.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...iew/1.html
The opposing view on Global warming and how it was construed.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...iew/3.html
Beginning about 18.000 years ago the Earth started warming up, halting at least temporarily a 100,000 year-long Ice Age, during which the upper Latitudes of almost all continents were buried under thick sheets of Glacial Ice. Over 1/2 of the North America continent was covered in Ice, and Oceans were 300 feet lower than they are today. It wasn't until about 15,000 years ago that Global Warming caused the Glaciers to start retreating, since the last Ice Age temperatures have risen about 5 degrees C.
DevilsWin Wrote:The latest expose on Global warming politics.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...iew/1.html

Appromimately 186 Billion tons of Carbon Dioxide are emitted into the atmosphere each year. Of this total over 96% is from natural sources.
1) 90 Billion tons are emitted by the Oceans.
2) 90 Billion tons are emitted by Volcanoes and decaying Plants.
3) 6 Billion tons are the result of Human activity.

I always laugh when I see films showing those huge clouds coming from coal fired power plants and the reference to Carbon Dixide pollution.

Most people don't relize that the clouds you see from a Coal-Fired Power Plant are just that-clouds. Power Plants use steam too drive the turbines which generate Electricity, steam must be cooled and condensed to water to reuse it to make more steam.
The actual exhaust emissions come from the smoke stack, which is the tall skinny tower. Because modern technology makes it possible to remove much of the fly ash and sulfur before releasing smokestack gases into the air, smokestack emissions today are often almost invisible.

Most people don't realize that Carbon Dioxide from all Coal burning worldwide comprises only 0.013% of Greenhouse gases in Earth's atmosphere.
DevilsWin Wrote:That's the most ridiculous argument ever. Not to mention it's cliche.

So in that case I'll say yes I know enough to develop this opinion.
OK BUH keep thinking that
It seems some liberal tree hugging college professors have affected the opinions of some of our younger members opinions.

I guess, Al Gore convinced the rest.
Did any of you watch the 3 videos?

Old School, Old Timer and Raven Boy,
Either your brainwashed by the Political Language of the Energy industry or your mindless sheep, I can't figure out which. The evidence is there.

And to you specifically Old Timer, the days of using cheap cliches like "tree hugger" to gain leverage in a political debate are long gone. It doesn't work anymore. And I'm sure without a doubt that you wouldn't know the first thing about what a college professor might teach. If you did attend college you must have been stoned or goofing of because you surely didn't learn much.
Pages: 1 2