Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Does your childs high school coaching staff have the knowledge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If your child plays high school baseball/softball and so on, Do you feel they get the coaching they need to help them get ready for the next level?
Meaning if your child is a JV player and the kid is willing to work can their coach help them to become a Varsity starter or a (four year bench warmer)or if they want to play at the next level can your child's coaching staff help them in reaching their desire to play in college/Pros?

Notice I said the child's desire, not all kids want it and are willing to work for it, but if they desire it can the high school staff help them?

If yes, then that is great, but what if the staff cant or don't or you just feel along with the peanut corner that the staff has very limited knowledge, then what do you suggest or do?
They are with their school coaching staff many many hours and if the instruction is not good then what?
Any takers?
People don’t want to comment because they don’t want there kids to be victims of more bad coaching I would guess.
SEKYSports Wrote:If your child plays high school baseball/softball and so on, Do you feel they get the coaching they need to help them get ready for the next level?
Meaning if your child is a JV player and the kid is willing to work can their coach help them to become a Varsity starter or a (four year bench warmer)or if they want to play at the next level can your child's coaching staff help them in reaching their desire to play in college/Pros?

Notice I said the child's desire, not all kids want it and are willing to work for it, but if they desire it can the high school staff help them?

If yes, then that is great, but what if the staff cant or don't or you just feel along with the peanut corner that the staff has very limited knowledge, then what do you suggest or do?
They are with their school coaching staff many many hours and if the instruction is not good then what?

My suggestion is to not worry about the next level...Just have fun in high school because it will never be that much fun again. The "next level" is highly over rated...If you are good enough to play at the next level it will be seen.
SEKYSports Wrote:If your child plays high school baseball/softball and so on, Do you feel they get the coaching they need to help them get ready for the next level?

I'll answer.

I do not believe many high school coaches are going to get a kid into college or keep them from being good enough to go.

In baseball, you have it or you don't. From that point, it's up to the kid and how much he will work/listen. Baseball coaches aren't re-inventing the wheel. Every coach I have coached with or against has known the game very well.

You give a coach a lefty who throws 85 and they will look like that know what they are doing.

You give same coach nothing but 70 mph righty's and people will think he can't coach a lick.

To get back to your question, my point is this. If the kid can play, he will be fine. There's plenty of $500 schollys to go around for baseball cause that's basically all anyone gets, and there's always the Alice Llyod's of the world where a kid can go play college ball.

But if you have a kid, and that kid is a JV player who wants to develop and you feel that kid isn't getting worked with enough I would assume that player isn't going to be more than a bench warmer or possibly start some as a Senior.
That’s not entirely true. There are several programs around the state where their JV teams could win the 14th region tournament. That’s not an exaggeration either. Some coaches know exactly how to develop players, and are constantly spitting out college players. Several schools around Lexington are great examples. They get the same crop of kids every year but not the same results. You put that same LHP that throws 85 MPH into one of those programs and they’ll most likely get drafted or be a D1 prospect. Unfortunately, the majority have no clue how to develop them. My advice is to seek out help. When he gets instructions from his high school coach then say “yes sir” and go on. If you are producing then nobody is going to say anything to you. So who cares if they are getting better instruction somewhere else.
Is your coach engaged enough to care about player development or just trying to win some games right now seems to be better question...