Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cordia 11 Allen Central 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
good game cordia corey gamble and arthur gayheart pitch
Congrats Cordia....Lions are on a row scoring 22 runs to only givin up 5 since the shutout from Hazard
MVP2 Wrote:Congrats Cordia....Lions are on a row scoring 22 runs to only givin up 5 since the shutout from Hazard

WAY TO GO LIONS!!!!! CONGRATS!!!
AC keeps struggling this season. There is much more talent on this team that what their record/scores are showing. Perhaps it's time to rearrange some positions/players. AC is off to their worst start in 3-4 years.

Work hard guys!!
Cordia has not been had season start this good in quite some time. 3-1 is a good record to start with and their only loss is to one of the region's best teams, but it was a beat down; thats baseball though and it happens everyday. Cordia is a team to be reckoned with in the 53rd.
Congrats Cordia.
gotcha2 Wrote:AC keeps struggling this season. There is much more talent on this team that what their record/scores are showing. Perhaps it's time to rearrange some positions/players. AC is off to their worst start in 3-4 years.

Work hard guys!!
Back in 2003, AC won it's first regional title. After that season, they were basically rebuilding just as they are now. They had 7 seniors graduate from that 2003 team, and the next year, in 2004, they were 2-4 after their first 6 games. They lost 6 seniors from a team last season that went 23-11, and they've started 1-5. Nearly the same situation. The talent is there. Coach Johnson will find the right lineup in time for post season. This team can, and will, only get better. In case you were curious, gotcha2, here is how Allen Central's record looked after their first 6 games dating back to the 2002 season, and how they finished:
2002: 2-4, 12-12
2003: 2-4, 17-12
2004: 2-4, 14-16
2005: 6-0, 18-14
2006: 3-3, 23-11
Thanks StrikeoutKing. I guess I had forgotten how the prior years had started.
Come on guys-it's almost time for district play to start- it's time to shake out the cobwebs and play some ball (the kind we are capable of). Good Luck this week in the All A, keep working hard!!!
In my opinion coach Johnson is a lot like Tubby. He made some good runs with players that came up during the days of Ronnie and Byron Patton and Greg Horne, now he has kids that have only played under him and oh well the record speaks for itself and I dont want to hear that they are just young because the 03 team started an infield of 3 freshmen and a sophomore. Those coaches had those kids primed for another regional run but oh well for whatever reason it didnt happen. Do you have any idea what happened here StrikeoutKing and why they were fired? What did you think about them?
Tubby Hater Wrote:In my opinion coach Johnson is a lot like Tubby. He made some good runs with players that came up during the days of Ronnie and Byron Patton and Greg Horne, now he has kids that have only played under him and oh well the record speaks for itself and I dont want to hear that they are just young because the 03 team started an infield of 3 freshmen and a sophomore. Those coaches had those kids primed for another regional run but oh well for whatever reason it didnt happen. Do you have any idea what happened here StrikeoutKing and why they were fired? What did you think about them?
I was a freshman on the 2003 team, and was on the team under Coach Patton in '02 as an 8th Grader. From what I understand, during the 2002 season, some of the players/parents were complaining about his son, Byron, as a coach. I didn't have a problem. He was intense and showed great emotion in doing his part as coach. He got through to the players and they produced. However, he was brought back to help his father, Ronnie, coach during the 2003 season. My understanding was Mrs. Hall, AC's principal, fired Coach Patton due to him neglecting to comply with the player's/coach's wishes. I like Coach Johnson. He taught me a lot in the 2 years I played under him. But Coach Patton had things planned out. I remember during a practice in 2003, he told me I should play 1st base during summer ball, because that's where I would be playing the rest of my high school career. He had plans for me, along with the other seniors whom I graduated with last year. He knew what we would be doing up until we left Allen Central.
Tubby Hater Wrote:In my opinion coach Johnson is a lot like Tubby. He made some good runs with players that came up during the days of Ronnie and Byron Patton and Greg Horne, now he has kids that have only played under him and oh well the record speaks for itself and I dont want to hear that they are just young because the 03 team started an infield of 3 freshmen and a sophomore. Those coaches had those kids primed for another regional run but oh well for whatever reason it didnt happen. Do you have any idea what happened here StrikeoutKing and why they were fired? What did you think about them?

Youth is not necessarily the problem- inexperience on the varsity level is the problem. I have followed AC baseball on a regular basis for the last 5 years. In the last 4 years- JV ball has been pretty non existent. You might see 2 or 3 inning games with some of the teams. That depends on how much travel time is involved on the return trip or the number of players both teams have. Game experience is crucial. The class of 2006 competed under Beaver Creek Little League with Jr. and Sr. league teams. They also played summer ball and fall ball each year. The current Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors have played nothing but high school ball for the past few years and most of that time was spent in the dug-out with no playing time and no JV games.

I've watched the majority of AC's games this season, I've seen improvement from many players- and some who still look like it's their first practice. I thought we might see some position changes after the first few games. I really think there are players out there in the wrong position.

During the days of Coach Patton, the players who graduated last season were freshman. They were hardly his players - granted he did teach them a few things. If anything, they were Coach Kidd's players. And some good runs were made. Last year's team had one of the best records in the history of AC - if not the best record - against one of the toughest schedules that AC has ever had. The '05 season sported another record breaking season in wins against another very tough schedule. Three seniors also signed to play baseball at the college level. Another thing is that the teams under him have won back to back district championships, and are poised to make a run for a third. That's not much of a comparison to Tubby who kept going downhill every season.

Nonetheless, Coach Patton and company did a fine job at AC. I don't know why they were fired. I don't know how you could fire a coach who just won your school's first region championship. But the administration wasn't pleased with something, and so it happened. I remember watching them play and they were competitive. But they had bad starts as well, and losing records. The year they won the region, they had a record of 17-14. They just got hot at the right time, and made a run through the tournament. It happens. Last season, AC was poised and ready and made a run into the semifinals in which they lost in 10 innings - possibly one of the greatest tournament games ever played. And they lost to the eventual winner and a very good team. I don't think you can make assumptions about anyone based on a the beginning of this season. Which by the way - this young AC team did defeat Pikeville. They have shown they are capable, but they just have to find their way. Give them some time to gel together. I think this could be a great team by the year's end and next season. I wish the coaching staff the best of luck.
Congrats to the Lions of Cordia.
Pacman Wrote:During the days of Coach Patton, the players who graduated last season were freshman. They were hardly his players - granted he did teach them a few things. If anything, they were Coach Kidd's players. And some good runs were made. Last year's team had one of the best records in the history of AC - if not the best record - against one of the toughest schedules that AC has ever had. The '05 season sported another record breaking season in wins against another very tough schedule. Three seniors also signed to play baseball at the college level. Another thing is that the teams under him have won back to back district championships, and are poised to make a run for a third. That's not much of a comparison to Tubby who kept going downhill every season.

Nonetheless, Coach Patton and company did a fine job at AC. I don't know why they were fired. I don't know how you could fire a coach who just won your school's first region championship. But the administration wasn't pleased with something, and so it happened. I remember watching them play and they were competitive. But they had bad starts as well, and losing records. The year they won the region, they had a record of 17-14. They just got hot at the right time, and made a run through the tournament. It happens. Last season, AC was poised and ready and made a run into the semifinals in which they lost in 10 innings - possibly one of the greatest tournament games ever played. And they lost to the eventual winner and a very good team. I don't think you can make assumptions about anyone based on a the beginning of this season. Which by the way - this young AC team did defeat Pikeville. They have shown they are capable, but they just have to find their way. Give them some time to gel together. I think this could be a great team by the year's end and next season. I wish the coaching staff the best of luck.

I'll be happy to see this group "gel". AC has some really talented players-the potential is there- they just need to reach it. Last season AC had great leadership with the class of 2006-could it be they are waiting on a teammate to step up and lead them.

I gotta have faith in my Rebels-and I'll keep cheering them on. Good Luck Boys!!!
GO REBELS!!!
gotcha2 Wrote:I'll be happy to see this group "gel". AC has some really talented players-the potential is there- they just need to reach it. Last season AC had great leadership with the class of 2006-could it be they are waiting on a teammate to step up and lead them.

I gotta have faith in my Rebels-and I'll keep cheering them on. Good Luck Boys!!!
GO REBELS!!!
Last year, you had guys like Music and Turner who would not only speak up, but they would back it up with their play. The other guys were "leaders by example." They weren't the ones to pump the team up by saying things. They would let their play speak for them. There really isn't that type of player on this year's team. Hammonds is probably the one I would expect, if anyone, to step up and take the reigns of that Leader role. Conley is another player who can be vocal at times. Little is quiet. He lets his playing do the talking. This team will be fine. It's still early. They have the All 'A' this week followed by some tough games next week. It will take some time for them to "mold" together and play as "One." It may not be until Districts when this happens, but I can assure it will happen. Coach Johnson will have this team more than ready by the time post-season roles around.
Pacman Wrote:During the days of Coach Patton, the players who graduated last season were freshman. They were hardly his players - granted he did teach them a few things. If anything, they were Coach Kidd's players. And some good runs were made. Last year's team had one of the best records in the history of AC - if not the best record - against one of the toughest schedules that AC has ever had. The '05 season sported another record breaking season in wins against another very tough schedule. Three seniors also signed to play baseball at the college level. Another thing is that the teams under him have won back to back district championships, and are poised to make a run for a third. That's not much of a comparison to Tubby who kept going downhill every season.

This is the funniest thing I have heard all day. I am very good friends with Coach Patton and Coach Horne and I followed AC baseball closely while they were there. Coach Kidd was a joke. These guys were good to him and let him help out on the coaching staff and then he stabbed them in the back and played a huge part in getting them fired. After this all happened I was at Coach Horne's house when Kidd called and ask him to be his Assistant and Horne told him to go to Hell. Kidd knew nothing about baseball.
Tubby Hater Wrote:This is the funniest thing I have heard all day. I am very good friends with Coach Patton and Coach Horne and I followed AC baseball closely while they were there. Coach Kidd was a joke. These guys were good to him and let him help out on the coaching staff and then he stabbed them in the back and played a huge part in getting them fired. After this all happened I was at Coach Horne's house when Kidd called and ask him to be his Assistant and Horne told him to go to Hell. Kidd knew nothing about baseball.

Kidd was a good "booster" and "fund raiser", but not a "coach". He was listed as associate coach for the past 2 seasons as well as the current season. He quit before thisseason started.
gotcha2 Wrote:Kidd was a good "booster" and "fund raiser", but not a "coach". He was listed as associate coach for the past 2 seasons as well as the current season. He quit before thisseason started.
That is actually the only reason Patton kept him around because they could use him to get things. Who is helping Johnson this year.
Congrats Cordia!
Tubby Hater Wrote:That is actually the only reason Patton kept him around because they could use him to get things. Who is helping Johnson this year.

Byron Hall is currently assistant coach.

It's very possible that nobody will ever see this but I hopt they do because it needs to be said. First,I'm an AC alum and was a member of many varsity sports teams during my time at AC. However, baseball has always been my passion and it was my passion when I was at AC. Naturally, when I registered for this site I was curious to see if any conversation had or was taking place about AC baseball. I must say I was quite shocked. I have spent the better part of the last two hours reading through the threads concerning the subject. During that time, one main theme and or person continues to reappear. That person would be Ronnie Patton! Most notably his firing after winning the 2003, 15th region championship.(only one in school history) I know both Ronnie and Byron(son) on a fairly personal level. I wouldn't say we are best friends but we do speak when we see each other. In my personal dealings with them I would say they are both fine people. I know for a fact that at the end of the 2002 AC baseball season Ronnie Patton was never given an ultimatum requiring him to fire his son as an assisstant coach or he wouldn't be back for the 2003 sesaon. Think about that for a second! I know Ronnie Patton and his son have a very close relationship and that relationship has centered largely around sports. Does anyone really think that Ronnie Patton would fire his son in order to continue coaching the AC baseball team? The fact is that direction or order was never given. It was completely mythical from the beginning. Byron(Son) wasn't there for the beginning of practice in 2003 so the rumor mill apparently ran rampant. Byron was living in Lexington attending graduate school at UK working on his master's degree in history. When he was able to rearrange his school schedule he returned to the coaching staff. That was the plan from the beginning based on my "inside sources." When practiced started in 2003 the "he said she said" game began and invloved into total falsehood. Ronnie Patton was not being some type of renagade and going above and beyond his principal/boss and bringing his son back to the coaching staff in some type of defiant act after he agreed to fire him. I've seen several people comment on the fact that he defied his boss and that is just not true. Yes, parents did complain about Byron from what I've been told. It seems most of the complaints centered around his intensity and his demands upon the kids. However, that coaching staff achieved results that the school had never achieved before. That fact can't be denied. Just based on my reading of this and other threads it really sounds like a group of parents who wanted to be in control. If anything they appeared to be upset because someone required them to give 100 percent effort. In conculsion, it doesn't matter if you like Ronnie or Byron that is the least of my concern and I'm sure they could care less as well. I felt like this rant needed to be made because of the simple obsurdity of the rumors as too why Ronnie Patton got fired. For any of you that have son's would you fire your son just to keep a high school baseball coaching job. On another note, Sis Hall is no longer the principal at AC. I wonder if Coach Patton and Coach Martin make triumphant returns in the near future.