Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Overloaded districts water down post season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don’t want to have a soap box or anything like that, but I really think it’s time for the KHSAA to look into the districts around the state and find a better way to ensure the best teams make it to the postseason. Every single year the 43rd district has five of the best teams in the state and only two get to play in the regional and only one goes on to the state. There is no other state that would let this happen. I understand without classification it is difficult to understand the district alignments, and there have been some backdoor dealings regarding regional lines. For example, why is no Jessamine County team playing in the 11th region, but somehow Berea Independent is? Teams like Powell and Estill have to drive a 4-5 hour round trip to play a regional game. With all that aside, KY also has one of the weakest state tournaments in the country. Most of that is due to the KHSAA getting rid of the sectional tournament. That at least took care of the rifraff. However, you still have your best teams not making it to the state tournament, because your state organization decided to put them all in the same district. I’m not saying there is a conspiracy or anything against Lexington, but here is an example of what I am talking about. Remember, only two teams per district go to the regional. Below, I’ve also posted the new rankings for this week and you’ll see in the 43rd District every single team is ranked in the top 20.

43rd District
Dunbar-20
Lexington Catholic -8
Lexington Christian-18
Lafayette -12
Tates Creek-14

26th district
Saint Xavier
Louisville Male
27th District
Trinity
Waggener
Atherton
Seneca

KHSBCA Coaches Poll
April 17, 2018
1. Pleasure Ridge Park (21)
2. McCracken Co (2)
3. Scott Co (1)
4. St Xavier (1)
5. Madison Central (1)
6. Trinity (Lou)
7. Highlands
8. Lexington Catholic
9. Greenup Co
10. Covington Catholic
11. Franklin-Simpson
12. Lafayette
13. Johnson Central
14. Tates Creek
15. Bowling Green
16. Central Hardin
17. Simon Kenton
18. Lexington Christian
19. Male
20. Paul L Dunbar
Others receiving votes:
Caldwell Co, North Oldham, Greenwood, Taylor Co, Paducah Tilghman, Russell Co, Bourbon Co
I completely agree. It happens with the 50th in the 13th.
I think regions should stay the same but teams should rotate districts every year
Do away with districts. Everyone in region plays once. Seed top 8 teams. 8 v 1. 7 v 2. 6 v 3. 5 v 4. Low seed hosts first round on Mon. Regional final four is double elimination Thursday 2 games. - Friday 2 games elimination game #1, and winners play . Saturday 2 or 3 games- elimination game #2, winner of that game would have to knock off unbeaten team twice.

Or seed. Earn a spot in playoffs. Play best 2 of 3 each round like many states do.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Do away with districts. Everyone in region plays once. Seed top 8 teams. 8 v 1. 7 v 2. 6 v 3. 5 v 4. Low seed hosts first round on Mon. Regional final four is double elimination Thursday 2 games. - Friday 2 games elimination game #1, and winners play . Saturday 2 or 3 games- elimination game #2, winner of that game would have to knock off unbeaten team twice.

Or seed. Earn a spot in playoffs. Play best 2 of 3 each round like many states do.

Problem is schools will never vote that in.
Rotating district is a possibility though
Best way is to eliminate district play and the having to play each district team twice.

Everyone play each team in your region one time. You can still have 13-16 games to your schedule out of region.

Seed it based on W/L. Then play single elimination regional tournament with top 8 teams at rotating sites.
It's still amazing to me that high school baseball in KY is single elimination in the post season. I guess youth leagues (Little League, Cal Ripken, etc.), College, Professional, and practically every other state high school association are all wrong for having pool play, double elimination, a series, or a variation of the aforementioned.

Just because you're the only association doing something don't make it right. If it was about the student-athletes and the fans, then it would be classified by enrollment, and not single elimination. That's just not baseball.

It's basically a 4 week postseason already. District, Region, State - 2 weeks. That's good enough for 4 rounds of playoffs with a best 2 out of 3 series. Shorten the regular season one week and you could do it just like football. East and West State Championships in week 4. Week 5 state championship.
Problem with shortening the season a week is weather. If you shortened the season a week it would need to end sooner to get the series eliminations completed in time.

This year for example, it's snowed on April 16th. Thats a month after the first games were played.

However, if everyone was forced to play each team in the region the problem wouldn't be there because you would schedule them early on and allow for make-ups later. Non region games you likely wouldn't make up unless they were close.