Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2018 KY All Star Roster - No Players from Region 13, 14, 15, 16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Roster for the 2018 KY All Star game against Indiana was released yesterday. No players from 13, 14, 15, 16 listed. Maybe they should name it Central KY All Star Team.
Does the 13-16th have anyone worth being on it?
Wyatt Battaile from Pikeville should be on every All-State team.
Wyatt Battaile should’ve made this team. JR Tackett could’ve potentially made it too. Knox central has Markelle Turner. Corbin had Andrew Taylor. You also had several that could’ve potentially made it from the 14th.
I will answer myself from all state list list.

These were on it and not in the KY/IN game.

Andrew Taylor, Corbin

Wyatt Battaile, Pikeville

Markelle Turner, Knox Central

Deven Stone, Wolfe County

These kids were not on the all state list and are in the game.

Skyelar Potter (Warren Central, Wright State)

Jalen Johnson (Hopkinsville, TBA)

Cameron Cartwright (McCracken County, TBA)

Cooper Robb (Scott County, Charlotte)

Adam Kunkel (Cooper, Belmont)

Markelo Sullivan (Fairdale, Moberly Area Community College)

Pierce Kiesler (St. Xavier, TBA)

Carter Hendrickson (Lexington Christian, North Florida)

MeKell Burries (Newport, TBA prep school)
And where all the guys from the 13th thru the 16th going to further their college career? Lots of talent that never make the allstate team, only 88 out of 276 coaches cast their votes.
Very political as most things in life. They really should not use the term "tryout" and just use open gym and pre-selection. Was informed by very reliable source several made the roster and were NOT at "tryouts" or only part of the "tryouts".. How can a kid be placed on a team when he did NOT "tryout"? things that make you scratch your head?!?!?
Taylor from Corbin did not attend the tryouts, not sure why.
Hi there.

Let me clear some things up since I have the facts Smile

Markelle Turner nor Andrew Taylor showed up.

The list was NOT pre-selected under any circumstances. About 12 of the best basketball minds in the state were evaluating these kids based on a very fair system.

The ONLY kid that made the team that did not tryout was Adam Kunkel, who had an uncle die in a car accident just moments before the tryout.

So yeah, he got a pass.

Any more questions?
Explorer Wrote:I will answer myself from all state list list.

These were on it and not in the KY/IN game.

Andrew Taylor, Corbin

Wyatt Battaile, Pikeville

Markelle Turner, Knox Central

Deven Stone, Wolfe County

These kids were not on the all state list and are in the game.

Skyelar Potter (Warren Central, Wright State)

Jalen Johnson (Hopkinsville, TBA)

Cameron Cartwright (McCracken County, TBA)

Cooper Robb (Scott County, Charlotte)

Adam Kunkel (Cooper, Belmont)

Markelo Sullivan (Fairdale, Moberly Area Community College)

Pierce Kiesler (St. Xavier, TBA)

Carter Hendrickson (Lexington Christian, North Florida)

MeKell Burries (Newport, TBA prep school)

I checked the two major papers in the state that name an all-state team. According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, three of the kids that you have listed as not on the all-state team, were in fact on one of the three all-state teams.

Skyelar Potter (2nd Team)
Cooper Robb (2nd Team)
Adam Kunkel (1st Team)

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sp...513528002/

According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, five of those you listed as not on the all-state team were listed on one of the three all-state teams they named.

Skyelar Potter (3rd Team)
Cooper Robb (2nd Team)
Adam Kunkel (1st Team)
Carter Hendrickson (3rd Team)
MeKell Burries (3rd Team)

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-scho...66674.html

Of those four players you listed at the beginning as being on the all-state teams:
Andrew Taylor (1st team selection in both) and Markelle Turner (2nd Team LHL and 3rd Team LCJ) were invited but did not attend the tryouts.

Wyatt Battaile (3rd Team LCJ and not listed on a team in the LHL) and Devon Stone (3rd team selection in both) did attend tryouts but were not selected.
Well Kentucky might want to look at how they pick the team cause they haven’t had much success the last 20 years.
Why don't they just put every Seniors name in a hat and then pull 14 names out of a hat. These kids are entitled that didn't show up to the try outs. Who wouldn't want to represent their state in an all-star game???
The Outsider Wrote:Taylor from Corbin did not attend the tryouts, not sure why.
Too much competition:biglmao:.
Explorer Wrote:Does the 13-16th have anyone worth being on it?
They have a few worthyConfusedinglepar
K40 Wrote:Hi there.

Let me clear some things up since I have the facts Smile

Markelle Turner nor Andrew Taylor showed up.

The list was NOT pre-selected under any circumstances. About 12 of the best basketball minds in the state were evaluating these kids based on a very fair system.

The ONLY kid that made the team that did not tryout was Adam Kunkel, who had an uncle die in a car accident just moments before the tryout.

So yeah, he got a pass.

Any more questions?
We would like to know the source of your "facts" please
Grannyshot Wrote:Very political as most things in life. They really should not use the term "tryout" and just use open gym and pre-selection. Was informed by very reliable source several made the roster and were NOT at "tryouts" or only part of the "tryouts".. How can a kid be placed on a team when he did NOT "tryout"? things that make you scratch your head?!?!?
:ChairHit:
Superfly Wrote:Why don't they just put every Seniors name in a hat and then pull 14 names out of a hat. These kids are entitled that didn't show up to the try outs. Who wouldn't want to represent their state in an all-star game???

Seniors who have scholarships locked up that they don’t want to risk losing on injury. Seniors that want to just relax and enjoy the final 2-3 months of their senior year before they have to show up for basketball again. Some of these kids have breathed, eat, and slept basketball year round for 4-5 years. April to May for most of them is time for Prom, senior trip, senior skip day, graduation festivities, seeing your friends for a couple months before most go off their separate ways. I could for sure see why a kid would wanna get away from basketball before they go commit four more years of their lives to the grind of being a collegiate athlete.
Superfly Wrote:We would like to know the source of your "facts" please

I work for the KABC. I was present.. Smile
Was Oumar Keita from Cordia at or invited to tryouts?
No
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I checked the two major papers in the state that name an all-state team. According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, three of the kids that you have listed as not on the all-state team, were in fact on one of the three all-state teams.

Skyelar Potter (2nd Team)
Cooper Robb (2nd Team)
Adam Kunkel (1st Team)

According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, five of those you listed as not on the all-state team were listed on one of the three all-state teams they named.

Skyelar Potter (3rd Team)
Cooper Robb (2nd Team)
Adam Kunkel (1st Team)
Carter Hendrickson (3rd Team)
MeKell Burries (3rd Team)

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-scho...66674.html

Of those four players you listed at the beginning as being on the all-state teams:
Andrew Taylor (1st team selection in both) and Markelle Turner (2nd Team LHL and 3rd Team LCJ) were invited but did not attend the tryouts.

Wyatt Battaile (3rd Team LCJ and not listed on a team in the LHL) and Devon Stone (3rd team selection in both) did attend tryouts but were not selected.

This is the link I used.

And you sir, are correct. I missed those. :igiveup::worthy:
It is what it is.. I just hope that all kids were given a fair shot and not selected (or pre-selected) because of the buddy system. But we all know that coaches are human beings and sad to say this happens. Of the selection "committee" how many players from their regions were selected? The coach had 3 from his region. The coaches selecting the players always discuss and circle players on list before tryouts and the last couple of spots are the only ones kinda up for grab. I just hate to see east KY not represented at all. I have watched lots of basketball across the state and in my opinion, the Battaile kid is a much better all around player than the Penny kid from Anderson. But a coaching friend pointed out that the Penny kid was attending Bellermine which happens to be the venue where the games are being held. Hope this was not a factor..
I think it would be a good idea for the KABC to reach out to HS coaches across the State (not just the same ones in their inner circle) and ask what changes are needed. If not, I think you will see this game fade away because of how it is run or the perception of how we all think it is run. When you have some of the top coaches in State calling it political and telling their kids it is not worth going to, then changes are needed if it is going to continue to go forward.
The only kid coming out of the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th regions that was good enough to play on this team was probably Andrew Taylor from Corbin.
CoachNM0523 Wrote:Seniors who have scholarships locked up that they don’t want to risk losing on injury. Seniors that want to just relax and enjoy the final 2-3 months of their senior year before they have to show up for basketball again. Some of these kids have breathed, eat, and slept basketball year round for 4-5 years. April to May for most of them is time for Prom, senior trip, senior skip day, graduation festivities, seeing your friends for a couple months before most go off their separate ways. I could for sure see why a kid would wanna get away from basketball before they go commit four more years of their lives to the grind of being a collegiate athlete.

:lmao: That is silliest thing I have ever heard, but I am not surprised. Good Try. .....NOT! BANG!! DDE
GreysHeadline Wrote::lmao: That is silliest thing I have ever heard, but I am not surprised. Good Try. .....NOT! BANG!! DDE

DDE is currently not coaching anywhere! BANG! DDE!
CoachNM0523 Wrote:DDE is currently not coaching anywhere! BANG! DDE!

"Currently" is the key word. Dont OVER look him on the other side of the Gym!
CoachNM0523 Wrote:DDE is currently not coaching anywhere! BANG! DDE!

:lame: I could be coming to Corbin, but everyone knows they don't have coaches, they have parents. BANG!! DDE
I am a parent and I paid enough money over the years to earn my child at least half the time on the field.
GreysHeadline Wrote::lame: I could be coming to Corbin, but everyone knows they don't have coaches, they have parents. BANG!! DDE

I think you just trolled yourself... BANG DDE!!
CoachNM0523 Wrote:I think you just trolled yourself... BANG DDE!!

This is True, I would bring my kids to Corbin, but I cant afford playing time. BANG!! DDE
Pages: 1 2