Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Athletes in Eastern Kentucky
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who has been the best athlete (from all the different sports) to come out of our area in the past years?
Chad Cook is one that I can think of from Ashland.

All-star running back for football
Lock down basketball defender (shooting left some to be desired)
Incredible baseball player and pitcher who received several college offers including the closer role for Marshall
Wouldn't you have to include Drew Mcdavid on this list? He's one of the most accomplished atheletes in Ashland's long and storied history.

All-time leading receiver in football
2nd all time leading scrorer in basketball

Very impressive.
Paintsville's Chas Harmon!
Sr year alone, QB 3,000 + yards, 30 + TD's, 22 ppg in Basketball, Great pitcher/SS played baseball for St. Catherine and Pikeville.
Steven Blevins, baseball and basketball ant Lawrence County, graduated in 2005.
Pitching up in the high 80's low 90's toward the end of his high school career. Played a couple of years on the basketball team, won 64th district in 2005.

Plays college baseball for the University of Cincinnatti, started pitching as a freshman, holds the record for most wins as a freshman at UC, was a Freshman All American.
I like that Dontae Wright boy from Lawrence County football. He plays defense at Miami of Ohio. He's a great athlete. I believe he played basketball as well.
FOSHIZZLE Wrote:Steven Blevins, baseball and basketball ant Lawrence County, graduated in 2005.
Pitching up in the high 80's low 90's toward the end of his high school career. Played a couple of years on the basketball team, won 64th district in 2005.

Plays college baseball for the University of Cincinnatti, started pitching as a freshman, holds the record for most wins as a freshman at UC, was a Freshman All American.

FOSHIZZLE, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Blevins play basketball his senior year at Lawrence County? I believe I remember him playing against Ashland. He couldn't be stopped. Good player.
yeah, blevins played bball his senior year
Craig Cooley and Jackson Osborne......they run a 4;5
Jeremiah Akers of Pikeville was a great athlete
pburgcatfan65 Wrote:Craig Cooley and Jackson Osborne......they run a 4;5

Good lord, is there anything these two guys CAN'T do? Because it doesn't seem so. They can both play tennis like John McEnroe, play golf like Tiger Woods and Arnold Palmer turned gay...had a cyborg baby and trained it from birth to play golf, and now they can run 4:5's all the while hiding their secret identities as "The Flash."
From Lawrence County I would have to say Jake Murton for wrestling.. He is a beast along with his brother Jarius!!
craig ratliff paintsville play on state champonship team got bball scholly to unc-greensboro and got drafted by the o's
hunter james is an incredible corner back
Josh Gross from Russell. Played basketball and ran track in high school. Was on the 12 year old baseball all start team. Tremendous all around athlete.

BTW most noted for playing a bit of football in high school.Wink

6th in the state for points scored in career with 632
15th in the state for points scored in a season with 258. (04 his senior year with a huge brace on his leg)
5th in the state for total TD's with 105
12th in the state for TD's in a season with 43
17th in the state in yards rushing for career with 5799
10th in the state in rushing TD's for career with 88

All in all not bad considering he very rarely ever saw action in the second half of a game. McGlone has never been one to pad stats so everything he got was earned then he sat out the rest of the game.
Tomcat68 Wrote:Chad Cook is one that I can think of from Ashland.

All-star running back for football
Lock down basketball defender (shooting left some to be desired)
Incredible baseball player and pitcher who received several college offers including the closer role for Marshall

From what I can remember all of them Cook boys were great athletes and their family have always been great supporters of Tomcat sports. I remember always talking to Chad's dad before the Russell/Ashland games and he would always tell me whether Ashland had anything for them or not. I seem to recall him being right most of the time.
pburgcatfan65 Wrote:Craig Cooley and Jackson Osborne......they run a 4;5

Sorry but being fast does not make a great athlete. If they are truly that fast.
Midee1 Wrote:From what I can remember all of them Cook boys were great athletes and their family have always been great supporters of Tomcat sports. I remember always talking to Chad's dad before the Russell/Ashland games and he would always tell me whether Ashland had anything for them or not. I seem to recall him being right most of the time.

Yes, all the Cook boys were great athletes. I wish that Josh had decided to play football as well, though. Unfortunately their dad passed away a couple years ago. I remeber that I had just gotten to college Sunday night after being home for the weekend when I heard the news and went back home and spent some time with them that night. Chad has now returned to being a KHSAA official after a 1 year hiatus to coach special teams at Ashland.
Tomcat68 Wrote:Unfortunately their dad passed away a couple years ago. I remeber that I had just gotten to college Sunday night after being home for the weekend when I heard the news and went back home and spent some time with them that night. Chad has now returned to being a KHSAA official after a 1 year hiatus to coach special teams at Ashland.

I knew Roger very well. Still saddens me to this day. I talked football with him on a jobsite the Friday before he passed away. He was working on a job for Preston Freemans dad at the time. They were close as well.
Best in my time was John Ortega from Prestonsburg. Played all three sports extremely well in high school and college.
John Ortega and Nick Jamerson from Prestonsburg.

Ortega was awesome at Basketball, Football, and Baseball. Jamerson excelled at Basketball and Football.
If speaking about an all-around athlete, I would say Tewayne Willis from PCC. He played all three sports at PCC. Played football for UK as a true freshman (in a limited role, but still a big deal), and now goes to LMU and led that division in steals last season.

The best athlete I ever saw only played basketball and was also from PCC. His last name was Bowling, I think his first name was Ben but I'm not sure about that. He was 6'4, with around a 40 inch vertical, and extremely quick. Signed to play college ball somewhere, but I'm not sure what happened to him.
blackcat_student Wrote:John Ortega and Nick Jamerson from Prestonsburg.

Ortega was awesome at Basketball, Football, and Baseball. Jamerson excelled at Basketball and Football.

I agree!
dustin may of belfry is a crazy sick athlete
Hey guys, what about the females? We have some all-around great female athletes in our region also. You've got Sally Roberts at Valley who's a standout in almost every sport - Laura Perkins and Kayla Cantrell too. I know Pike Central has a couple of girls who are just as athletic as any guy you'll find.
Midee1 Wrote:Josh Gross from Russell. Played basketball and ran track in high school. Was on the 12 year old baseball all start team. Tremendous all around athlete.

BTW most noted for playing a bit of football in high school.Wink

6th in the state for points scored in career with 632
15th in the state for points scored in a season with 258. (04 his senior year with a huge brace on his leg)
5th in the state for total TD's with 105
12th in the state for TD's in a season with 43
17th in the state in yards rushing for career with 5799
10th in the state in rushing TD's for career with 88

All in all not bad considering he very rarely ever saw action in the second half of a game. McGlone has never been one to pad stats so everything he got was earned then he sat out the rest of the game.
One of the best running backs I had the privilege of watching play football. Not to get off the subject, but I thought Doug Howard was the better of the play makers on the field that night at Vipperman, but Gross has better field vision of any back I have seen. Followed his blocks to a tee and never lost composer when the team was down. Awesome athlete.
all-or-nothing Wrote:Hey guys, what about the females? We have some all-around great female athletes in our region also. You've got Sally Roberts at Valley who's a standout in almost every sport - Laura Perkins and Kayla Cantrell too. I know Pike Central has a couple of girls who are just as athletic as any guy you'll find.

thank you for mentioning the girls!!..sometimes ppl tend to forget that they are athletic too..lol..
athlete? crazy sick? no he is not...good football player...that it
Girls
Kayla Lowe-volleyball, basketball and softball and she is great in all of them
15thballin Wrote:Girls
Kayla Lowe-volleyball, basketball and softball and she is great in all of them

She sure is! She is one of the best female athletes from around here in a while, but Ratliff was a good one too.............
Pages: 1 2