Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The pension bill and baseball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok. Things may start to get very interesting very soon.

Let me state for the record I am in full support of the teachers because they, and others, got a raw deal. It's a crap deal cooked up in the back kitchen and served to them by politicians that I hope by deer season are cleaning out their offices.

Now to the fallout that effects what we discuss on this site: sports. I see a lot of school closings daily for a long while. What is going to happen to the spring sports programs and specifically high school baseball? Teams have multiple games per week scheduled. If schools are closed no one will be there to prepare fields, do paperwork and checks for umpires, work gates, drive buses, etc. There will not be any games.

I hope someone has some answers to the pending issue I see coming that I do not know about.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Ok. Things may start to get very interesting very soon.

Let me state for the record I am in full support of the teachers because they, and others, got a raw deal. It's a crap deal cooked up in the back kitchen and served to them by politicians that I hope by deer season are cleaning out their offices.

Now to the fallout that effects what we discuss on this site: sports. I see a lot of school closings daily for a long while. What is going to happen to the spring sports programs and specifically high school baseball? Teams have multiple games per week scheduled. If schools are closed no one will be there to prepare fields, do paperwork and checks for umpires, work gates, drive buses, etc. There will not be any games.

I hope someone has some answers to the pending issue I see coming that I do not know about.

You are wrong about one thing: there WILL BE people at the school in the event of a work stoppage. Secretaries, AD's, and principals are basically year round contract personnel and must work over 250-275 days in order to receive full compensation. So, if there were to be a stoppage, which I don't foresee since the cowards at the General Assembly chose to do this rear-end deal right before most go on Spring Break, I feel that in 7-10 days things will be more at the union level and with the attorney general going after this bill.

I think the biggest thing is how will this bill affect transportation costs next school year? That's the big issue in my opinion. I can see districts putting a minimum number of away games and also a travel limit on mileage.

And for those "elected officials", can you say "Goodbye"? :Clap:
If you live in Lexington or Louisville this may not effect your team, but those schools in eastern KY that intend on competing statewide at the end of the year will be the ones hurt because they won’t be able to go out and play a tougher schedule. Players won’t be seen as much either.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:You are wrong about one thing: there WILL BE people at the school in the event of a work stoppage. Secretaries, AD's, and principals are basically year round contract personnel and must work over 250-275 days in order to receive full compensation. So, if there were to be a stoppage, which I don't foresee since the cowards at the General Assembly chose to do this rear-end deal right before most go on Spring Break, I feel that in 7-10 days things will be more at the union level and with the attorney general going after this bill.

I think the biggest thing is how will this bill affect transportation costs next school year? That's the big issue in my opinion. I can see districts putting a minimum number of away games and also a travel limit on mileage.

I certainly have compassion for the plight of state workers, not just the teachers, but isn't the attorney general and his whole family and their buddie's policies of robbing and pillaging, the #1 cause of bankrupting the pension fund? Interesting and ironic that he/they are now the "friend of teachers"? And now they are the saviors of the fund? I certainly don't understand a whole lot of what is going on, and don't pretend to, but from the outside looking in, I think it has to be questioned that that is the answer....It like a guy robbing your house at night, then getting caught by the police. Then after they are set free by the police, you hire him to be your personal security guard at your house....Bad situation all the way around.
The pension problem is not new.. I worked for the state 18 years ago. My wife worked 9 years for the board of education. she still has money in that pension fund(we think).. Its been going on for years and years.. Past administrations have robbed the pension plan blind without repaying what they took out.. We knew about it back then, its one of the biggest reasons I left state to work for the feds.. They were messing with our retirement then.. Though no one cared back then when it was average joe state worker complaining. We complained a lot but got no sympathy what so ever.. Suck it up or go elsewhere is what we were told..
Can a Governor be impeached? What is the process? Im serious.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:You are wrong about one thing: there WILL BE people at the school in the event of a work stoppage. Secretaries, AD's, and principals are basically year round contract personnel and must work over 250-275 days in order to receive full compensation. So, if there were to be a stoppage, which I don't foresee since the cowards at the General Assembly chose to do this rear-end deal right before most go on Spring Break, I feel that in 7-10 days things will be more at the union level and with the attorney general going after this bill.

Agreed on the staff at a school but you bring up a good point about travel. Football travel isn't bad because of the smaller number of games accompanied by the largest gates. Basketball, baseball, softball, etc are a different story. If everyone begins limiting away games then the overall number of games gets reduced in all OR boosters are going to be tasked with paying for transportation. Not good either way.