Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is Cordia still in question for next year 2018-19
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Will the Cordia school be part of the KHSAA next season? Wander how many schools are looking to pick up players who are displaced.
I would say they will be a school and a member of the khsaa
They are in the process of working on their school building to get it up to code and safe for the students. Then they are scheduled in April to have their case heard in court, it has been postponed twice now, and look for it to be postponed again until school is out. Then it will go through and Cordia in my opinion will be closed. They may open back up next year as a charter school under a new name, Lotts Creek Community Charter School. But do not see them getting a new lease approved by the state commissioner after the way they treated him. This had nothing to do with the current Knott county board or superintendent, this was all from the head man in Frankfort. I guess we are all just playing the waiting game for the courts to decide what will happen next.

But as far as the other question, the players, I have heard some coaches have already spoken to the ones they are trying to get in hopes of the school closing. I would say some go to Hazard, Perry, Letcher, and Knott. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Patriot train Wrote:They are in the process of working on their school building to get it up to code and safe for the students. Then they are scheduled in April to have their case heard in court, it has been postponed twice now, and look for it to be postponed again until school is out. Then it will go through and Cordia in my opinion will be closed. They may open back up next year as a charter school under a new name, Lotts Creek Community Charter School. But do not see them getting a new lease approved by the state commissioner after the way they treated him. This had nothing to do with the current Knott county board or superintendent, this was all from the head man in Frankfort. I guess we are all just playing the waiting game for the courts to decide what will happen next.

But as far as the other question, the players, I have heard some coaches have already spoken to the ones they are trying to get in hopes of the school closing. I would say some go to Hazard, Perry, Letcher, and Knott. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Maybe private but not Charter!
People on this site need to read the charter school statutes. Zero chance they “go charter”.
I would hope the commissioner would approve or block the lease based on the interest of the students and not the fact the school decided to take it to court.
Patriot train Wrote:They are in the process of working on their school building to get it up to code and safe for the students. Then they are scheduled in April to have their case heard in court, it has been postponed twice now, and look for it to be postponed again until school is out. Then it will go through and Cordia in my opinion will be closed. They may open back up next year as a charter school under a new name, Lotts Creek Community Charter School. But do not see them getting a new lease approved by the state commissioner after the way they treated him. This had nothing to do with the current Knott county board or superintendent, this was all from the head man in Frankfort. I guess we are all just playing the waiting game for the courts to decide what will happen next.

Oh the irony that would be.
:biglmao::biglmao:I am going to give everybody on here a little bit of inside baseball most people are not aware of. When Benny Ray Baley was state rep he introduced a bill before the Kentucky legislation that states as long as Cordia has a building that is up to code and they have 1 student enrolled there must be a school. It is state law the commissioner did not know that at the time when he tried to come down and throw his weight around. That is why he has gone all in attempting to get the building ruled un fit. So as long as Cordia has a building up to code the state can't take the school. Most people have no clue about that but that law has been on the books for about probably 15 years and most people don't know it. Including the commissioner of education. He knows now :biglmao:
Never heard of anything like that before, but I remember something about Benny Ray Bailey having a problem with the Knott schools.
I would imagine if the state passed such a bill they could reverse it though.
I've never heard of a school going from public to private. I'd be interested if anyone has ever seen that.
As far as the charter switch, what is the major issue - test scores?
To go to a charter school the knott county school board would have to let them where they are under knotts control
hitter Wrote:To go to a charter school the knott county school board would have to let them where they are under knotts control

They renew a $1/year lease annually. That's a two-way street.
Are you saying cordia would not renew?
hitter Wrote:Are you saying cordia would not renew?

I don't know that, I'm just saying Knott leases that school on a year-by-year basis.

The commissioner said he won't approve the lease this time around and Knott is evidently prepared to use the building by the old gym for another school if needed.

To me, if Alice wants to go private or charter (calm down KF35) she could definitely use the building she owns.
zaga_fan Wrote:I don't know that, I'm just saying Knott leases that school on a year-by-year basis.

The commissioner said he won't approve the lease this time around and Knott is evidently prepared to use the building by the old gym for another school if needed.

To me, if Alice wants to go private or charter (calm down KF35) she could definitely use the building she owns.

Almost lost it Zaga!
She can't afford to go private and she can't go charter unless knott school board says that she can. I looked at the so called problem and all it is is an air conditioning unit has been leaking and rotting the structure out because it was set in to the roof instead of on top of it. It would take less that a month to pull the unit out fix the roof and relocate the unit. It's not a big deal
hitter Wrote:She can't afford to go private and she can't go charter unless knott school board says that she can. I looked at the so called problem and all it is is an air conditioning unit has been leaking and rotting the structure out because it was set in to the roof instead of on top of it. It would take less that a month to pull the unit out fix the roof and relocate the unit. It's not a big deal

I'm not hip to the legislation involving charter schools.
Explain to me why Knott BOE could dictate what Alice and company do with their building.
Charter schools have to go through the local board of education or city governments in Louisville or Lexington for schools in those areas.
She could probably turn the school into a private school but would have to pay all the bills, including the teachers.
I may be crazy, but I thought the legislation was specifically written with Cordia in mind.
Some of Cordia's supporters made it sound that way, but I don't know why the General Assembly would do that. I think the idea is to tear down the public school system, plus some people who run charter schools could make some money.
This is from the Courier Journal as far as regulations:

▪*School boards or the Lexington or Louisville mayor must solicit and evaluate applications, give preference to applicants wanting to serve at-risk or special needs students, conduct the review and interview process for all applications, and approve or deny applications within 60 days of receiving them.
[Image: 27uzee.jpg] More mash taters please!!!
HCS Wrote:Some of Cordia's supporters made it sound that way, but I don't know why the General Assembly would do that. I think the idea is to tear down the public school system, plus some people who run charter schools could make some money.
This is from the Courier Journal as far as regulations:

▪*School boards or the Lexington or Louisville mayor must solicit and evaluate applications, give preference to applicants wanting to serve at-risk or special needs students, conduct the review and interview process for all applications, and approve or deny applications within 60 days of receiving them.

Well... here are a few other things I found while perusing the regulations.

https://education.ky.gov/CommOfEd/charts...chools.pdf

In subsection 2(a) it says a school in the bottom five percent academically (Cordia may be included in that) can petition to be a charter school if they have 60% of parent/guardian signatures.
Notice in subsection 2(b) - pertaining to schools in the top 95% - there is an additional requirement of a local school board vote. So it looks like poor performing schools have a provision to go charter without a vote from the school board.

The remaining subsections go on to say the conversion and operation will be governed by the state, will be run by a board of directors, maintain their own employees and hire new ones on their own and can use the existing assets at the school.

Could that be the part where Cordia can make this work?

Also, there is also this part of the legislation jammed in the portion pertaining to retirement for employees.

https://education.ky.gov/CommOfEd/charts...ements.pdf

"A local school board shall not harass, threaten, discipline, discharge, retaliate,
or in any manner discriminate against any district employee involved directly or indirectly with an application to establish a public charter school."

I may be reading too much into it, but it looks to me like I see a few carefully placed provisions that can help Cordia if they want to be a charter.

But there are also pretty strict requirements academically - it's odd they have a provision to let academically poor schools into a contract.
If a school has been academically poor for many years, and I assume that's right from what I used to see on test scores, why would you let the same school and the same leaders carry on when they have a history of struggling?
There's a lot of confusion on charters....

In Louisville or Lex rules are different. In all areas outside of Fayette and Jeff Counties - the Local School Board as the final and only say on whether a charter school can open. And even if that was given, the SEEK money wouldn't be enough to run the school. The Charter school won't have a "district" and thus a tax base. You all really make way too much of the charter thing. It's a non thing outside of Fayette and Jeff counties....
I haven't seen it explained that way, but it makes sense. I don't think the state people would admit it's not an issue outside of Lexington or Louisville, but it will be a lot easier to do it in an area like Louisville, Lexington or northern Kentucky.
ProudPanther Wrote:There's a lot of confusion on charters....

In Louisville or Lex rules are different. In all areas outside of Fayette and Jeff Counties - the Local School Board as the final and only say on whether a charter school can open. And even if that was given, the SEEK money wouldn't be enough to run the school. The Charter school won't have a "district" and thus a tax base. You all really make way too much of the charter thing. It's a non thing outside of Fayette and Jeff counties....

I literally just posted information from the Kentucky Department of Education contrary to the bolded.

Again, I'm not saying Cordia is going to become a charter school, but I am the only one quoting specifics here instead of unsupported generalities. SEEK funding alone won't run a school, but Cordia is a privately owned school leased by the local school system. They cannot afford to be a private school on their own, so there is a public/private partnership that allows that school to function the way it does. Evidently they give scholarships to every student going to college and provide some extra benefits for students (that got them pinged by the KHSAA) with the money they have freed up from the partnership. I would imagine the Lotts Creek Community School's resources coupled with SEEK funding would go a long way toward sustaining a school. Using Knott County's SEEK funding rate ($5777 per pupil) and Cordia's enrollment numbers (255- but the number could be dated), you're looking at around $1.5M.

For a further look into Cordia's desire to become a charter school you can scroll to just before the middle of this episode from the UPROXX docuseries. https://uproxx.com/shows/us-against-the-...sode-five/

Alice Whitaker also says the school is aiming to become a charter in a radio interview here just past the 3:50 mark
https://soundcloud.com/wymt-television/a...part-2-mp3

I'm no legal expert nor do I have any ties to Cordia or the Knott County BOE... but I'm trying to put together information we have and look at the legislation.
But please... someone point out of I've misconstrued something or overlooked something
No one knows what going to happen at Cordia. But in the last dew days I heard rumors that they will not be a school next year to yes they will be a school. No one knows and I heard the Fraizer kid if Cordia closed would be the only one stay in this area and would go to Hazard or Perry. Just Rumors and Talk around Eastern Ky.
The commish says he won't approve of the release as-is. That's what we do know.
fatpatfan Wrote:[Image: 27uzee.jpg] More mash taters please!!!
Not sure about escaping students or is that Patriots jumping out the windows after they lost the district championship to lowly ole Lions ??
Board voted to not approve the lease with Lotta Creek Community School.

Interesting this happens while that restraining order is in effect.

But I don't see how a restraining order should be able to force anyone into an agreement.
Basically, I don't get this entire situation lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4