Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Schools with the Most Sweet 16 Wins- Last 20 Years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Scott County 24 wins- (2 championships)
2. Ballard 19 wins- (1 championship)
3. Mason County 15 wins- (2 championships)
4. Lexington Catholic 13 wins- (1 championship)
5. Warren Central 12 wins- (1 championship)
6. Holmes 10 wins- (1 championship)
6. Bowling Green 10 wins- (1 championship)
8. South Laurel 9 wins- (1 championship)
9. Covington Catholic 8 wins- (1 championship)
10. PRP 7 wins
10. Trinity 7 wins- (1 championship)
Thought that North Hardin and Christian County would be on the list for sure, but alas, they are not. Same goes for Madison Central, Hopkinsville, Owensboro.

Thought Warren Central would have a bit more as well (seven of their twelve came in a two year stretch). Same for PRP.

Shelby Valley was another I thought of, and have been a ton of times, but only have five wins (one in '10 and four in '11) which was a bit surprising, as that is the same number as Paintsville (two in '08 and three in '98) in only two trips.
North Hardin has 4 Sweet 16 wins during the last 20 years. Christian County has 5, including the 2011 state championship. Madison Central has 6, including the 2013 state championship. Hopkinsville has 6 and Owensboro has 5.
rojas Wrote:North Hardin has 4 Sweet 16 wins during the last 20 years. Christian County has 5, including the 2011 state championship. Madison Central has 6, including the 2013 state championship. Hopkinsville has 6 and Owensboro has 5.

Agreed. Looked up some of them just to double check and didn't see any of those schools with more than 6.
This is one tournament 6A schools do not have an advantage due to student population.
6A (football class) shows 57 wins and all others have 77 in this time period.
Could be wrong but there are only like 3 or 4 regions that even have a 6A school in there region
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Could be wrong but there are only like 3 or 4 regions that even have a 6A school in there region

Makes since. Since KHSAA went to 6 classes, there are only 30-35 schools in each class.
rojas Wrote:North Hardin has 4 Sweet 16 wins during the last 20 years. Christian County has 5, including the 2011 state championship. Madison Central has 6, including the 2013 state championship. Hopkinsville has 6 and Owensboro has 5.

Thought it was interesting to notice how most schools that had won State had made a number of appearances around their championship. Also, thought that, if you really dug deep, there'd be a correlation where the more rural a school, the higher concentration of State appearances and/or wins clustered around their run.

To show the strength, depth, and competitiveness of the 11th:

Unless I'm missing someone, the only exceptions to a Champion who didn't have a handful of appearances in that same timeframe was Dunbar (only appearance in the last 20 years was a championship).

Otherwise, the 2001 Lafayette team only appeared again in 2004. Similarly, the 2013 Madison Central teams wasn't really bookended by any appearances, though they did make it in 1999 and 2006.

Otherwise, there's only Jeffersontown, who won in 2006 and only appeared again in 2008, and Elizabethtown who won it all in 2000 and didn't appear again until 2005 (with an entirely different cast).

The point I'm trying to make-- familiarity definitely matters, especially if you are a more rural school. While there's definitely something to be said about schools which are able to win State having the talent to be successful in other seasons, especially those against weaker regions and/or either immediately before or after the pinnacle, as those are the ones in which that same core is intact, I think that it is a bit of a fallacy to abruptly end the analysis there.
RealJokersWild24 Wrote:Thought it was interesting to notice how most schools that had won State had made a number of appearances around their championship. Also, thought that, if you really dug deep, there'd be a correlation where the more rural a school, the higher concentration of State appearances and/or wins clustered around their run.

To show the strength, depth, and competitiveness of the 11th:

Unless I'm missing someone, the only exceptions to a Champion who didn't have a handful of appearances in that same timeframe was Dunbar (only appearance in the last 20 years was a championship).

Otherwise, the 2001 Lafayette team only appeared again in 2004. Similarly, the 2013 Madison Central teams wasn't really bookended by any appearances, though they did make it in 1999 and 2006.

Otherwise, there's only Jeffersontown, who won in 2006 and only appeared again in 2008, and Elizabethtown who won it all in 2000 and didn't appear again until 2005 (with an entirely different cast).

The point I'm trying to make-- familiarity definitely matters, especially if you are a more rural school. While there's definitely something to be said about schools which are able to win State having the talent to be successful in other seasons, especially those against weaker regions and/or either immediately before or after the pinnacle, as those are the ones in which that same core is intact, I think that it is a bit of a fallacy to abruptly end the analysis there.

I think the point you are making can be summed like this, "Most of the schools winning Sweet 16 Championships have great programs, not just great teams."