Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry Pirates '18 Spring practice begins Monday and The Pirates have a ton of talent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Spring practice begins Monday and The Pirates have a ton of talent returning but also need to fill a few holes
Key returners on Offense:
The entire line returns and they are led by Dagen Rash, Austin Lawson, Keaton Thacker, Logan Arbogast, and Ethan Wolford
Rash has been killing the weight room while Wolford has been tearing up his opponents on the mat
The Qb will be Avery Browning and the backfield will be Peyton Hensley at FB Brett Coleman at backup and Isaac Dixson, Ben Bentley at RBs. Justin Barker at TE. The WR spot is wide open.
On Defense the Pirates will be led by Austin Fields at MLB and most likely Barker will be the other MLB and Austin Blankenship will see time as well. At OLB the Pirates return Grayson Cook and Seth Mounts. The Defensive Line will be anchored by Dylan Brown and Jacob Baisden and a few other young guys. In the secondary the Pirates return Isaiah Birchfield, Ben Bentley, and Brett Coleman. Other names who will be expected to contribute. Randall West, Brad Lowe, Kyle Webb, Jonathan Stepp, John Ashhurst, Logan McCoy, Garrett Smith, Daniel Oliver. Other names being mentioned as possible program returns Joe Chafins and Ethan Smith and both of those names returning would be huge. Belfry will be ready to get back to work and back on top
Cannot wait to visit Pond Creek in Round 3 of the playoffs. We both got some work to do but it's gunna happen.

😎🏈
COACHITALL Wrote:Spring practice begins Monday and The Pirates have a ton of talent returning but also need to fill a few holes
Key returners on Offense:
The entire line returns and they are led by Dagen Rash, Austin Lawson, Keaton Thacker, Logan Arbogast, and Ethan Wolford
Rash has been killing the weight room while Wolford has been tearing up his opponents on the mat
The Qb will be Avery Browning and the backfield will be Peyton Hensley at FB Brett Coleman at backup and Isaac Dixson, Ben Bentley at RBs. Justin Barker at TE. The WR spot is wide open.
On Defense the Pirates will be led by Austin Fields at MLB and most likely Barker will be the other MLB and Austin Blankenship will see time as well. At OLB the Pirates return Grayson Cook and Seth Mounts. The Defensive Line will be anchored by Dylan Brown and Jacob Baisden and a few other young guys. In the secondary the Pirates return Isaiah Birchfield, Ben Bentley, and Brett Coleman. Other names who will be expected to contribute. Randall West, Brad Lowe, Kyle Webb, Jonathan Stepp, John Ashhurst, Logan McCoy, Garrett Smith, Daniel Oliver. Other names being mentioned as possible program returns Joe Chafins and Ethan Smith and both of those names returning would be huge. Belfry will be ready to get back to work and back on top

Where did they get all that talent?
Cannot wait to get a little taste of Belfry football this week. Tomorrow the Pirates will start to get back on track to adding another gold trophy to their growing case. Belfry will be one of the favorites to win 3A again this year.
Belfrys offensive line is going to be the key. The interior line is the strongest position on our offense. The center and both guards are returning starters and in my opinion 3 of the best in the state. Going to be awfully hard stopping the Pirates from gaining 4 to 5 yards a play up the middle, especially with the talent in the backfield we'll have to go along with our Hogs up front. I think we're above average at every position on both sides of the ball except for the D-Line. Not saying they won't be above average, I just think that is the position that needs the most work and has the most to prove. And I believe they will. But again, in this Ol Mans opinion, the offensive line is where the money's at and our "Big Hogs" up front will be making plenty of it come Friday night's in the fall!
pjdoug Wrote:Where did they get all that talent?

It’s all homegrown in our talent garden behind the school, where else would it come from?
COACHITALL Wrote:It’s all homegrown in our talent garden behind the school, where else would it come from?

It comes from Whitley County doesn't it?

Tell the truth now.

😬
Running back position prob the weakest part of the offense this year. Decent runners but very little power to run up the middle.
COACHITALL Wrote:It’s all homegrown in our talent garden behind the school, where else would it come from?

Just a little town in WV....
You hate us because you ain’t us
EastKyPride Wrote:Running back position prob the weakest part of the offense this year. Decent runners but very little power to run up the middle.

While I don't think our RB position is our weakest, they are defiantly alot younger than in years past, but I think the talent is there and will surprise alot of people. With that said, I do think our interior linemen is one of the strongest areas on our team. All three returning starters, Ethan Wolford at Center and Dagan Rash and Keaton Thacker at Guards will provide plenty of running room up the middle for our young RB's. And on the outside we'll be just as good with returning starter Austin Lawson and Logan Arbogast filling the other Tackle spot. Most RB's in Kentucky would love to be able to run behind an experienced line like we'll field this year. So I think our RB's will be just fine. Don't get me wrong, you can't replace a Derek Wellman or Taveon Hunter. Those two were beasts. But as good as they were they wouldn't have gained a single yard without good line play. The Hogs up front is where the game is won and lost, IMO. So I think we'll be just fine.
I think they will be fine as well. I just don't think they have the actual power back they have always had in the past. Speed will diff be an issue for opponents that's for sure. The line will open up the holes but can these back truck the defenders like we seen in the past?
#55PirateFan Wrote:While I don't think our RB position is our weakest, they are defiantly alot younger than in years past, but I think the talent is there and will surprise alot of people. With that said, I do think our interior linemen is one of the strongest areas on our team. All three returning starters, Ethan Wolford at Center and Dagan Rash and Keaton Thacker at Guards will provide plenty of running room up the middle for our young RB's. And on the outside we'll be just as good with returning starter Austin Lawson and Logan Arbogast filling the other Tackle spot. Most RB's in Kentucky would love to be able to run behind an experienced line like we'll field this year. So I think our RB's will be just fine. Don't get me wrong, you can't replace a Derek Wellman or Taveon Hunter. Those two were beasts. But as good as they were they wouldn't have gained a single yard without good line play. The Hogs up front is where the game is won and lost, IMO. So I think we'll be just fine.

I'm actually more concerned about our defense. In fact, IMO, with as much depth as we have on the O-Line....IMO, Lawson would be better served to transition to the defensive front. No doubt Baisden will help tremendously on the D-Line....but adding Lawson brings about some real matchup issues and keeps the lineman off our LB's. Defense is/will be our biggest question mark going into next season
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I'm actually more concerned about our defense. In fact, IMO, with as much depth as we have on the O-Line....IMO, Lawson would be better served to transition to the defensive front. No doubt Baisden will help tremendously on the D-Line....but adding Lawson brings about some real matchup issues and keeps the lineman off our LB's. Defense is/will be our biggest question mark going into next season

I felt the same way last year. I thought that Lawson, Rash, and Wolford all three should have played both ways, especially in the goal line defense packages. But that's why I'm a parent and not a coach. Lol! Coach Heywood knows what he's doing so I'll just leave it at that. I'm sure he was/is worried about his O-Line getting gassed late in games or much worse getting injured. IMO, we have a little depth on the O-Line but just not enough to take that big of a risk.

:closeenough: Country roads, take me home
to the place I belong . :eyeroll:
FoSho Wrote:It comes from Whitley County doesn't it?

Tell the truth now.

😬

No. Corbin gets that talent before it could possibly make it to West Virginia.
I Rule The World Wrote:Just a little town in WV....

:biggrin:
COACHITALL Wrote:You hate us because you ain’t us

Whatever you want to think. lol
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I'm actually more concerned about our defense. In fact, IMO, with as much depth as we have on the O-Line....IMO, Lawson would be better served to transition to the defensive front. No doubt Baisden will help tremendously on the D-Line....but adding Lawson brings about some real matchup issues and keeps the lineman off our LB's. Defense is/will be our biggest question mark going into next season

Lawson is a common name here. maybe they did steal a Whitley County player. lol
It’s only March and Pjdoug is in full Belfry troll mode. I love it! Post your address and I’ll send you a shirt that says “there’s a lil river called the Tug, players cross it to piss of Doug!”
COACHITALL Wrote:It’s only March and Pjdoug is in full Belfry troll mode. I love it! Post your address and I’ll send you a shirt that says “there’s a lil river called the Tug, players cross it to piss of Doug!”

Lol
COACHITALL Wrote:It’s only March and Pjdoug is in full Belfry troll mode. I love it! Post your address and I’ll send you a shirt that says “there’s a lil river called the Tug, players cross it to piss of Doug!”

I don't wait for March. I would seriously love the shirt, but you won't really send it, because you're lying like you do when you say you don't recruit West Virginia Confusednicker:

I hope you dont think I get mad. lol. I plan on coming to Pikeville soon. I hope I get a shirt while I'm there.
pjdoug Wrote:I hope you dont think I get mad. lol. I plan on coming to Pikeville soon. I hope I get a shirt while I'm there.

Let me know when you are coming Doug and I will buy you a beverage!
jetpilot Wrote:Let me know when you are coming Doug and I will buy you a beverage!

Will do , and I appreciate that. Should be by around the first part of April.
Yea jet pilot is going to buy it at Rupp, the good news pjdoug is he’ll be home before the ice melts
COACHITALL Wrote:Yea jet pilot is going to buy it at Rupp, the good news pjdoug is he’ll be home before the ice melts

I want my beverage to be frosty in Pike County Smile
COACHITALL Wrote:Yea jet pilot is going to buy it at Rupp, the good news pjdoug is he’ll be home before the ice melts

At least I'll be at Rupp!
jetpilot Wrote:At least I'll be at Rupp!

:truestory:
jetpilot Wrote:At least I'll be at Rupp!
bless CoachITALLs heart, he can even insult anyone right...Get your popcorn ready...he’s about to prove my point for me...😂
Pages: 1 2 3