Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shot Clock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After the season do you think that KHSAA should bring in the SHOT CLOCK. And go to 16 minute half’s instead of 4 quarters..
Yes on the shot clock, no on the halves.
No and no!
Yes on shot clock, about 5 seconds longer than college. No on 2 halves.
no and no
Absolutely on the shot clock, and do away with the 5 second count. Then they can add the half circle in the lane for charges, since there's not a ref in the state of Kentucky that can tell you what a charge is.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:Absolutely on the shot clock, and do away with the 5 second count. Then they can add the half circle in the lane for charges, since there's not a ref in the state of Kentucky that can tell you what a charge is.

That last statement is the TRUTH! Even objectively watching other teams play it seems like on obvious calls they go the other way. I have no problem on the 50/50 plays. It’s judgment and a hard call to make with the speed of the game now. But the blatant ones??? No!
Wouldn't that have to come from the National Association instead of the KHSAA?
Definitely need the shot clock. It gets really boring watching a team milk a lead with as many as 4 to 5 minutes to go and they are literally standing at mid court holding the ball.
Shot clock is overdue. Don't see the advantage of two halves instead of four quarters.
Amen on the shot clock. Halves or quarters doesn't really matter though I don't think.
If it wasn't for the fact that it seems that mens college basketball is looking to go to four quarters I would say yes to both the shot clock and the halves. However with them using the NIT as a guinea pig for quarters and a few other changes I think this means they are looking to go towards these rules. I think shot clock is needed even as low as middle school level to keep the game moving.
I've always felt that the offensive player initiates the charge/block call more often than not. No opinion on the shot clock, I hate the fouling at the end of a game to gain possible possession, make it a 2 shot foul regardless of the team foul count.
Usually when you play in quarters the biggest difference is the fouls will reset at the end of the first for the second. In high school though they keep going for the whole first half regardless. Essentially the only difference between quarters and halves is the guaranteed timeout at the 8:00 mark.
I don't believe the schools will have the funding to add shot clocks, so it will never come into high school basketball. They would have to have someone separate running it and the game clock and it's hard enough to get one person to do the clock, let alone 2. So I don't see it happening.

The arc under the basket has a real opportunity to be put in for next year, it has been talked about for the last couple of years and probably will be put in on trial basis for next season. This should help with the kids trying to take charges under the basket and make it an automatic block if inside the arc.

Have also heard they may be keeping quarters and resetting fouls after every quarter. Shooting 2 shots after 6 fouls of each quarter, like the college women do. This will cut down on free throws in the 2nd and 4th quarter because they start over, but everything will be 2 shots, no more 1-and-1. What do we think about this? Works well in womens college.

Also talking about letting home teams wear their school colors and making visiting teams wear white. They already do this in football and soccer, they are talking about it for basketball too. This will help on those special nights too when they want to wear pink, camo, etc.... They would be allowed to wear whatever color they want at home and visitors always will wear white.
These are just some of the possible changes they have talked about.
I like the uniform change if that happens.
No to the shot clock. If you can play a good trapping man to man you don't need one. I guess if a laid back 2-3 zone is your defense of choice you would probably like a shot clock. Opposing coaches couldn't force you to come out on the floor and guard them when you were behind late in the game.

BTW, when college basketball added the shot clock scoring went down, not up. As stated above, teams that were behind had no motive to force the action on defense.
Patriot train Wrote:I don't believe the schools will have the funding to add shot clocks, so it will never come into high school basketball. They would have to have someone separate running it and the game clock and it's hard enough to get one person to do the clock, let alone 2. So I don't see it happening.

The arc under the basket has a real opportunity to be put in for next year, it has been talked about for the last couple of years and probably will be put in on trial basis for next season. This should help with the kids trying to take charges under the basket and make it an automatic block if inside the arc.

Have also heard they may be keeping quarters and resetting fouls after every quarter. Shooting 2 shots after 6 fouls of each quarter, like the college women do. This will cut down on free throws in the 2nd and 4th quarter because they start over, but everything will be 2 shots, no more 1-and-1. What do we think about this? Works well in womens college.

Also talking about letting home teams wear their school colors and making visiting teams wear white. They already do this in football and soccer, they are talking about it for basketball too. This will help on those special nights too when they want to wear pink, camo, etc.... They would be allowed to wear whatever color they want at home and visitors always will wear white.
These are just some of the possible changes they have talked about.

I like everything mentioned except the no more 1-and-1. I like how at least when teams are in the bonus, tacky touch calls can be just one foul shot. I'd hate to see every time a touch foul is called teams get two shots.
CoachNM0523 Wrote:I like everything mentioned except the no more 1-and-1. I like how at least when teams are in the bonus, tacky touch calls can be just one foul shot. I'd hate to see every time a touch foul is called teams get two shots.
They would get 5 touch fouls each quarter this way, then on the 6th each quarter they would give up 2 shots. Pretty good if you ask me!
Patriot train Wrote:They would get 5 touch fouls each quarter this way, then on the 6th each quarter they would give up 2 shots. Pretty good if you ask me!

Ahhh I like it how it is right now. I like the pressure of having to nail free throws in crunch time. Especially one 1-1’s. Last night Corbin had a kid miss one, then South knocked a 3 to go into OT. If he gets two, the chances are he would’ve hit one, then you never see OT and the game is over.
CoachNM0523 Wrote:Ahhh I like it how it is right now. I like the pressure of having to nail free throws in crunch time. Especially one 1-1’s. Last night Corbin had a kid miss one, then South knocked a 3 to go into OT. If he gets two, the chances are he would’ve hit one, then you never see OT and the game is over.

You are exactly right, very insightful analysis, Kid hits Free Throws no overtime. Love the pressure and adds to the drama of the game. Plus we get more popcorn. :yum:
SwallowedMyWhistle2 Wrote:You are exactly right, very insightful analysis, Kid hits Free Throws no overtime. Love the pressure and adds to the drama of the game. Plus we get more popcorn. :yum:

Not at the Arena, they close concession stands at the start or just into the 4th quarter, absolutely stupid.
Rainingthrees Wrote:Not at the Arena, they close concession stands at the start or just into the 4th quarter, absolutely stupid.

That is stupid!!!
Yes on the clock