Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Fifth Region - Pre-Season Picks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do we have any Fifth Region Fans? It's March and so its time to get full-force into baseball. How's this for pre-season picks:

1. MARION COUNTY - Although I'm partial to my boys at the Hardin County schools, I've got to say that Marion is the team to beat again this year. Anyone who saw this team play at the end of last year and knows what they have coming back really can't argue with that. The Wiser kid is only a Junior and really is a stud at the plate. Arguably the Thomas kid will be the best pitcher in the region this year and I'll bet the Mattingly kid at second base hit over .500 the last month of the season. Don't know what they will do to replace their catcher who was really good last year.

2. ELIZABETHTOWN - The Panthers suffered a surprising early exit at the Regional last year. The good news is they were pretty young. Jackson Webb is probably the best catcher in the Region, and one of the best hitters as a Junior. The Becherer kid had a really good year last year and returns. They've got several decent arms returning as seniors this year. Elizabethtown and Marion likely will have two interesting matchups in the last weeks of the season, one already scheduled in the last week of regular play at E-town then, possibly, in the Regional Finals.

3. CENTRAL HARDIN - Really young last year and season and Regional play showed that. Good news is they return as much of the core of their team from last year as anyone in the Region. Bibb, Heideman and Peters were probably their best hitters last year and are all back. The Bland kid makes them as good as anyone in the Region when he's on the mound. Not sure how deep their staff is after that, though.

4. NORTH HARDIN - If the Trojans could pitch Manley every game they'd be Regional favorites. Unfortunately they can't. The right-hander will throw in the low and mid-80s and is clearly one of the Region's best pitchers. Unfortunately, after him I'm not sure what else they've got on the mound. They return almost everyone from last year and that should help. But, outside of Collin and Thomas kids from plate, the other returnees weren't exactly impressive. Still, a very dangerous team. Too bad they play in the same District with E-town and Central.

5. NEXT TIER: Larue County (too bad the Boley kid won't return on the mound), Washington County (will be interesting to see what kind of season the Graves kid has) and Campbellsville (I really like the young Kearney kid).

There you have it. Play ball.
Lots of big games early should be fun to see.
Marion is obviously 1st and then a drop off to 2nd.

Marion
Central Hardin
Bards town
North Hardin
ETOWN
Larue County
Washington
Nelson County
I personally think Central Hardin is the team to beat in the 5th. The loss of Spalding to graduation is huge for Marion. The CH lineup will be a force with Bibb, Peters, Heideman, Wood (Western Kentucky commit), and Jones (Kentucky commit).
Bland and Jones will give them the best 1-2 punch on the mound in the region.
I guess I'd disagree with baseball1974 that there is a significant gap between Marion and the next couple of teams in the Fifth. I could be convinced by LineDrive11 that Central Hardin is right near Marion but, as much as I'd like to see that Regional crown back to Hardin County, I still think Marion is a bit ahead of CH. Spalding was clearly a big loss for Marion, as was that catcher, but I think you may underestimate what they have returning. Remember, the Thomas lefty for Marion practically shut CH down in the first round of the Regionals two years ago -- and he was only a sophomore then. I still say the Wiser kid is the best hitter in the Region and the big question is whether Marion can find someone to hit after him to protect him a bit. I like all of those players LineDrive11 mentions but at least a couple of those youngsters need to show they are up to their billing this year. If they can, I'll agree -- and be happy - that CH will be in the driver's seat.

Aside from CH, I'd be interested in your take on the other Hardin County teams.

And, finally, I don't see Bardstown as being anywhere close to No. 3 in the Region this year. Sorry. That District will have to wait at least another year to show any pop and, unfortunately for them, CH and Etown are likely to be even better then.
Did Nelson county lose a lot? I thought they made it pretty far last season?
They did and they did. Nelson reached the Regional Finals after, I think, entering the District Tournament as the 5th seed. Beat Central Hardin and Campbellsville early in the Regional but ran out of pitching and lost to Marion 10-0 in the finals in five innings. The Lawson kid was by far their best hitter and best pitcher and I think went to play at K-State or somewhere. He may have been Player of the Year in 5th Region in '17. Their 4 or 5 hitter was a kid named Lov Vorn who was also pretty good (lefty I think) but also graduated. Also lost 3-4 other seniors who started. They do have last year's number two pitcher returning for his Senior year -- kid named McGill -- who was actually pretty good. I think his brother may play as well. Just don't see that they have enough returning to make a big run again this year. Of course, with this weather we may just go straight to District Tournament play and skip through the regular season!!!
OK folks. Feels like I'm talking to myself. On such a rainy day and none of my favorite college basketball teams to root for, what better to do than review what few fifth region games we had the first week of the baseball season. Here's my view:

Central Hardin: It took 9 innings but the Bruins outlasted the Butler Bears at home. Coach Wolff does a good job at Butler but has the disadvantage of playing in the same Region as State Champion PRP. I think they expected to be respectable but not spectacular this year. Thus, a bit disappointing that CH had to go the extra innings at home to pull out the win. Just as most thought, Heideman is going to be depended on A LOT his year. He came through with the game-winning RBI Friday night and picked up 3 other hits and another RBI. Tyler Wood also picked up a couple of hits. I'm told Junior Skylar Lucas was a bit better expected for a first game start and Soph. Cooper Jones pitched well in his one inning of work. Good start for the Bruins but will need hitting from more than just two players.

ELIZABETHTOWN: Can't be terribly excited about the 1-1 start, even though a loss to Meade is nothing to be too concerned with. Meade took Jackson Webb's bat away with two HBPs. Pitching still has to be a concern. I'm not convinced Green Co. has much this year and it took Webb's two-run homer in the fifth for the Panthers to win it. Worried a bit.

MARION COUNTY: Sometimes it's just good to get a win in the opener. I talked to a friend at Nelson this morning. The Cards were in this one from the start. Benton McGill threw well for Nelson but had to go 93 pitches on a cool, damp opening night in Lebanon. For Marion, the Thomas lefty was all that was expected, throwing four innings and striking out 9. Also as expected Travis Wiser and Kelly Mattingly provided the hitting punch. I'm told that Wiser hit three frozen ropes and was essentially walked intentionally in his fourth AB (I'm still saying he's the best hitter in the Region). Mattingly was 2-3 and knocked in 2 of Marion's first 3 runs on two-out hits. Still a question behind the plate for the Knights.

NORTH HARDIN: Bethlehem is going to be very average this year and the Trojans squeaked out a 3-2 win over them at home. Manley pitched well enough to win, but I understand it wasn't his best appearance -- but it's the first game of the season. The big question has always been whether NH can hit enough to win consistently. The could muster only 3 hits vs. Bethlehem, but Bethlehem could only scratch out 2. Both of theses teams have a way to go.

LARUE COUNTY: Worried that the Hawks will struggle this year. An 8-6 win over South Warren and a 6-0 loss to Fern Creek is not going to impress many. Fern Creek's Kaleb Corbett is the real deal, I know, and he's already committed to Louisville, but only one hit and 12 Ks is not likely ONLY the result facing a really good pitcher. Got to wonder whether they will get consistent stick work from anyone other than Dalton Skaggs.

Hart Co. vs. Thomas Nelson: Thomas Nelson picked up the win but not much to pay attention with either of these teams.

TAYLOR COUNTY: The Cards picked up two first-week wins over Wayne County. Sorry. That means virtually nothing. Taylor will have to convince me that they are better than just average by beating some of the teams over at Green County this week (but it doesn't look like the weather will let them get those games in). I know, I know, somehow Taylor placed more players on the KHSBCA pre-season All-State team than anyone else in the region. Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

I look forward to your comments Fifth Region fans.
No reason to drink that Kool-aid, all regions can submit 12 kids o think, CH and Nelson nominated no one because they are not part of the khsbca. Central Hardin I would say above everyone, with Marion 2nd. My sleeper team is cville they could make a deep run, lots of pitching.
MC is tough!!