Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Question to Shelby Valley fans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I did not get to Lex. in time to watch SV and I through reading threads I have just one question.

Did Shelby Valley ever go 2-3 or 3-2 to protect their guys from foul trouble after they saw how the game was going to be called?

That junk 1-3-1 defense they play doesn't count either.
Honestly, I didnt agree with the defense choices the cats made at state. Though, their defense was good enough to get out of the region junk or not.
They stayed in a 2-3 match up zone.
I knew the zones would not be a problem for most any opponent they played in the state tournament. To be successful there you have to be able to play at least somewhat good man defense.
HazzBeen Wrote:They stayed in a 2-3 match up zone.

Really, then I can see your guys complaints.
did they press alot??
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:did they press alot??

They tried but wasn't successful with it after Elliott got a look at it a couple of times down the floor. Their Full court zone press does not apply much ball pressure (i believe its designed this way) therefore good teams with good gaurds like Elliott does not have any problem with it.
They played 2-3 all year long so what makes you think they would have changed at Rupp. The two things that killed them were 1) they were called for all the slapping and reaching that they did all season and 2) their freshmen played like freshmen.
NEXT Wrote:I did not get to Lex. in time to watch SV and I through reading threads I have just one question.

Did Shelby Valley ever go 2-3 or 3-2 to protect their guys from foul trouble after they saw how the game was going to be called?

That junk 1-3-1 defense they play doesn't count either.

They stayed 2-3 the entire time, except for a couple of possessions where they played 1-3-1.
bball fan Wrote:They played 2-3 all year long so what makes you think they would have changed at Rupp. The two things that killed them were 1) they were called for all the slapping and reaching that they did all season and 2) their freshmen played like freshmen.

Almost every game I saw, they played man .
rainout Wrote:Honestly, I didnt agree with the defense choices the cats made at state. Though, their defense was good enough to get out of the region junk or not.

By "junk" a 1-3-1 defense in known as a gimmick or "junk" D to me because not a lot of high schools and colleges play that
I knew what u meant by junk D!!! I see alot of schools use zone defense, some because they have to. Others becuase they are trying to give another look and matchup out of it!!
NEXT Wrote:Almost every game I saw, they played man .

That was a match up 2-3 zone. It kind of looks like man but it is still a zone. Belfry, Pikeville, Betsy Layne were all the match up zone.
Elliott took the match up to the cleaners!!