Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Draw 16th Region
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ITs final now, we know who is in next week at Morehead. Let’s take a look at those teams and get a discussion on how they are playing.

Boyd Co- District Champs. BC is playing good not great. They for me have stumbled down the stretch. Teams are starting to understand them more and their Defense continues to be average. It will be interesting to see if they can continue to run the table and go undefeated in the 16th. They are the favorite for sure.

Ashland - Runner Up. Ashland rolled in very hot. They showed so much desire and will in the District Championship. Keep in mind, they played without sharp shooter and leading scorer Julia Parker. Now it looks like they are hit with another injury to the Martin kid. Will both kids not play moving forward? That might prove to be crucial. But NEVER under estimate Robinson, she is playing UNREAL. Ashland will lean on her lots. They had kids play off their bench that gave them much needed help. We’ll see what happens but I wouldn’t want to draw the Kittens.

Russell- Darnell and company cruised to a District Championship. This is a team looking to make a statement. They have the weapons to win it all. What side will they land on? Is it BC or Ashland? It will be interesting to say the least. They have lost twice to both teams and showed they can spoil the party.

West- The Carter Co kids from the West side escaped a great effort from their neighbors and won the District. West is one of those teams that have the pieces and on a given night can upset someone. Youth isn’t a problem now with all the experience they have. They are dangerous!
Menifee- District Champs, first time they have won in years to my knowledge. Another team that is capable. Post presence might be tops in the region. Can they bring others to the dance and get enough to win.

East Carter- District Runner Up, these kids are fun to watch. They are giving it all. You have to pull for this bunch considering all that has happened to them. They will not quit and play till the end. They had a big win this year against Russell . I know that Russell wasn’t full strength, but it was a good win.

Rowan Co- The Morehead kids are playing good basketball and come in District runner up. Just a week ago nearly took out Boyd. I like this team young very athletic in some spots.

Greenup Co- The Greenup kids took out Lewis to be District Runner up. I think its the first time they have got to Morehead in a long time. Coach Roark has done a good job considering the circumstances.

Fun times await cant wait to see how it turns out.
Teams

PRESEASON:
1. Boyd County
2. Russell
3. West Carter
4. Ashland
5. Menifee County
6. Lewis County
7. East Carter
8. Greenup County

NOW:
1. Boyd County
2. Ashland
3. Russell
4. West Carter
5. East Carter
6. Menifee County
7. Rowan County
8. Greenup County

Players

PRESEASON:
1. Savannah Wheeler (JR - Boyd County)
2. Mykasa Robinson (SR - Ashland)
3. Madison Darnell (SR - Russell)
4. Abby Pick (SR - Lewis County)
5. Morgan Berry (JR - West Carter)
6. Charity Shears (SR - Boyd County)
7. Payton Shears (SR - Boyd County)
8. Ty Mitchell (SR - Russell)
9. Emma Hacker (JR - Menifee County)
10. Julia Parker (SO - Ashland)

NOW:
1. Mykasa Robinson (SR - Ashland)
2. Savannah Wheeler (JR - Boyd County)
3. Madison Darnell (SR - Russell)
4. Emma Hacker (JR - Menifee County)
5. Julia Parker (SO - Ashland)
6. Lakie Sanders (JR - Russell)
7. Harley Paynter (FR - Boyd County)
8. Allie Stone (8th - West Carter)
9. Morgan Berry (JR - West Carter)
10. Alyssa Stickler (FR - East Carter)
Looks pretty good nekysportsfan. Maybe a few minor adjustments for me, but agree with at least 90% of your team and player rankings. IMO, the one ranking I think is undeniable is Robinson as the #1 player in the region. Wheeler is a solid second with Darnell in 3rd place. The stats that Robinson has put up this season, especially recently, are phenomenal. She is playing at ultra-high levels at both ends of the court. Her multiple triple double games (and almost quadruple doubles) in rebounds, assists, steals, and/or points are amazing. She is not just a one-trick pony that just puts up big points. This girl does it ALL.
Robinson clear #1 just Flip Flop #5 and #4 and you have my vote. Hacker kid is really good but doesnt play a hard schedule at Menifee. Parker is #2 in the state in 3s and plays much harder schedule. Crazy lights out scorer/shooter .

#10 Stickler top 10? ,there are so many that could fit that space its a toss up.
Shears twins, Bear, Rymer, Borders, Mitchell, Runyon, Cross, Rakes to name a few others.
Hacker and her team may not have played the schedule that the "big 3" played, but she seems to bring her best against the better teams. Against teams that will be playing in Johnson Arena next week: 20 pts/13 reb vs. Boyd; 27/14 vs West Carter; 25/15 vs East Carter; 7/10 vs Russell (foul trouble); 14/6 vs Greenup (limited minutes); 36/12, 31/7, 26/18 vs. Rowan County. In addition, against other teams playing in their regional tournaments: 21/9 vs Lee Co (in limited minutes), 16/7 vs Madison Central (foul trouble), 25/12 vs Wayne Co, and 20/16 vs Powell County.
So, if you are insinuating that she pads her stats against inferior opponents, you are going down the wrong path. At 6'2" and with good ball handling skills, she is a matchup problem for most teams, especially since Menifee also has the Woodard girl who is 6'1."
I agree with Playtherock. Menifee could create some big match-up problems for Regional teams. Hacker is a skilled, long, and versatile player that can get big numbers against any team. Woodward also gives them bigger size in the paint than most teams in the 16th. However, as good as Hacker is, for Menifee to make a serious run in the tourney, other players will have to step up in a major way. I do expect some upsets in the Region next week. Gonna be interesting.
Schedule strength is really hard to determine ahead of time. I thought 16th Region was very weak this year compared to other years. Bottom teams not really as strong as usual to at least make games a little more competitive. Boyd had about 10 blow out wins compared to Kittens about 14 or 15. Not any fault of either team but an indicator of Region "lack of strength". You can only travel so far and so many times to pick up quality games plus you want to play all regional games you can. As far as Regional player of year- I wouldn't be opposed to Wheeler and Robinson being Co-players of the year. Wheeler has 3-0 record against Kittens right now and she is the big reason for that. Robinson is the only reason Kittens play Boyd so tough- not discounting their other players just stating the obvious. I know the debate could go on forever and it's more of a personal opinion from everyone. Robinson is as gifted as any kid we've seen since her sister and they are even very different. Wheeler is at the beginning and end of any play that decides the game. She just knows how to win. 2 incredible ball players-(although very different) but very deserving. We have been blessed to watch them battle. 1 observation- why does Robinson never guard Wheeler? Never understood that. I guess that's why I'm in the bleachers sitting behind Fraley and not in his or Bradley's seat🤣 Us old football guys from Eastern Ky better stick to 3 yards and a cloud of dust anyway! Maybe if both teams advance we will get to witness 1 more Classic! On to Morehead- Good luck Lady Lions and good luck to all!
And Wheeler is the only reason Boyd plays Ashland so tough...
West - Greenup
West is 23-8. Greenup is 10-18. The teams didn't meet during the season. This is Greenup's first region tourney game since 2011. They have gone through coaches Jason Smith, Mark Cantrell, Anthony Gordon, and Tyson Phillips since then. Keith Roark has done a good job leading them back to the tourney, but West has more tourney experience between regions and the All A so they should cruise.

Ashland - Menifee
Ashland comes in at 25-5. Menifee is 18-10. The teams didn't meet during the season. Ashland's only region losses have been 3 single digit contests against favorite Boyd. Menifee has one of the top players in the region in Hacker. Ashland, however, has the top player in Robinson.

Boyd - East
Boyd is the tourney favorite at 24-4. East is 16-16. Boyd won by 26 and 29 during the season. East has had a rebuilding year thanks to graduation of four senior starters. The lone remaining returning starter? She is playing for Boyd now. Needless to say the teams are familiar with one another as Boyd beat East in the finals last season. East is capable of putting up a fight, but Boyd should roll.

Russell - Rowan
Russell is 22-9. Rowan is 19-10. Russell beat Rowan by 21 during the season. Russell is an experienced team so I wouldn't expect a letdown. Rowan is young so Russell should advance in this one.
Lions have Best Coach and Best Team. But we have seen stranger things happen!