Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: WYMT is a joke
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
just got done watching sports on wymt and they had pike central vs belfry both girls and boys then they had Floyd central and then the worst mountain top 5 plays ever. my point is this, wymt is located in hazard Kentucky and two of the best girls teams in the region played and wymt not only didn't send someone to cover the game but they didn't even mention anything about this area. the first teams they should cover is perry and hazard. and they do this all the time. they are terrible
So, Perry and Hazard should be the top priority for WYMT because the station is located there?
hitter Wrote:just got done watching sports on wymt and they had pike central vs belfry both girls and boys then they had Floyd central and then the worst mountain top 5 plays ever. my point is this, wymt is located in hazard Kentucky and two of the best girls teams in the region played and wymt not only didn't send someone to cover the game but they didn't even mention anything about this area. the first teams they should cover is perry and hazard. and they do this all the time. they are terrible

Well to play a little Devil's Advocate.

All the 15th Region games were really, really good this evening.

They picked a great night to show up, plenty of good highlights all around.

Very hot crowd @ PC tonight. Crazy environment.
I think they should cover those teams too but when two of the top girls team in the region are playing a half a mile from the station I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to go film a couple minutes or at the very least mention the score. This is not right for leslie,or hazard. It's not just tonight it has been this way for ywars
It is mountain television, not hazard/perry county television. They have to pick where they go, and if they were preferential to hazard schools they would lose viewers from the rest of the mountains. Plus, they have to go to the farthest games out first so they can be back in time to do the show. It's very possible that the local game was over by the time they got back.
It seems like they are at Perry Central or Hazard very often, probably more than any other gyms.
WYMT is down to a two-person sports department right now.
Here were all of the games in the coverage area last night.
You see how many of these games you can film with two people and get back to me.

Boys
Pulaski County vs. Somerset
Jackson County vs. Clay County
Cordia vs. Knott County Central
Belfry at Pike County Central

Girls
Casey County vs. Rockcastle County
Southwestern at Wayne County
South Laurel vs. Whitley County
Knox Central vs. Pineville
Harlan County vs.Harlan
Hazard vs. Leslie County
Wolfe County vs. Jackson City
Lee County vs. Powell County
Johnson Central vs. Sheldon Clark
Floyd Central vs. Lawrence County
Pike County Central vs. Belfry

You can apply for the open position in the sports department if you think you have something to offer other than criticism.
http://www.wymt.com/content/stationjobs/...84943.html
Would love to see hitter out their with a big camera on his shoulders helping out getting these kids some tv time. Smile
Dang Zag, tell like it is man!!!! Hahahaha
Mother hen time for zaga!!
Sorry, guys. This is one of my "triggers" I guess.

I spent six years at WYMT watching these young guys/girls work their tails off in a thankless job for a small paycheck.

Go back and answer phone calls for them after the 11 o'clock news and listen to parents call and complain their kid's touchdown didn't make it into the newscast or someone upset the sports ticker wasn't scrolling scores because of school closings. It's a nightly occurrence and I guarantee you if your kids lived in a surrounding region they wouldn't get a high school game on TV every week, a televised tournament with scholarships handed out, highlights of 20+ high school games each week or anything comparable.
Preach!!!

I for one tremendously appreciate the effort WYMT goes to so that I can keep up with the regional sports!!!

It's not just that either. That station offers coverage of an area that is currently depreciated, and they do it with respect to our hillbillies and more accuracy that CNN.
I seen this thread title and thought "yea zaga is gonna rip someone's head off", and I was right. The 2 sports people WYMT has right now do a great job IMO, they have a huge coverage area and a lot of games being played every day, they do great with the manpower they have available.
Granny Bear Wrote:Preach!!!

I for one tremendously appreciate the effort WYMT goes to so that I can keep up with the regional sports!!!

It's not just that either. That station offers coverage of an area that is currently depreciated, and they do it with respect to our hillbillies and more accuracy that CNN.

I too loved wymt sports overtime and I also loved Christian News Network ( CNN) :why: Granny Bear
zaga_fan Wrote:Sorry, guys. This is one of my "triggers" I guess.

I spent six years at WYMT watching these young guys/girls work their tails off in a thankless job for a small paycheck.

Go back and answer phone calls for them after the 11 o'clock news and listen to parents call and complain their kid's touchdown didn't make it into the newscast or someone upset the sports ticker wasn't scrolling scores because of school closings. It's a nightly occurrence and I guarantee you if your kids lived in a surrounding region they wouldn't get a high school game on TV every week, a televised tournament with scholarships handed out, highlights of 20+ high school games each week or anything comparable.

i don't watch it either way. the last few times I did watch it. they always bring UK up in it. if they don't want to talk about all the other college in the state. then stop talking about UK. the time they take about UK, they should use that time to talk about (fall) soccer, volleyball, and what ever other sport in the fall. that go the same for winter, and spring.
cj2561 Wrote:i don't watch it either way. the last few times I did watch it. they always bring UK up in it. if they don't want to talk about all the other college in the state. then stop talking about UK. the time they take about UK, they should use that time to talk about (fall) soccer, volleyball, and what ever other sport in the fall. that go the same for winter, and spring.

I understand you're not a UK fan, but you have to consider that out of WYMT's viewing area, i'd say at least 80% of the population are UK fans. They're just appealing to as large of an audience as possible.
I don't care if they film these games, they didn't even give the score or mention anything about the game. And they could have done a quarter in hazard then went to the knott/cordia game. And from the looks of the schedule the hazard/leslie would have been one of the better games. Zaga do u think other people don't work hard. Don't take the job if you can't do it. It's hard for me to believe that they couldn't take ten seconds to mention who won the game and give the score
hitter Wrote:I don't care if they film these games, they didn't even give the score or mention anything about the game. And they could have done a quarter in hazard then went to the knott/cordia game. And from the looks of the schedule the hazard/leslie would have been one of the better games. Zaga do u think other people don't work hard. Don't take the job if you can't do it. It's hard for me to believe that they couldn't take ten seconds to mention who won the game and give the score

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
geauxtigers75 Wrote:I understand you're not a UK fan, but you have to consider that out of WYMT's viewing area, i'd say at least 80% of the population are UK fans. They're just appealing to as large of an audience as possible.

sport over for high school sports. 80% that you said that is a UK will watch there game.
^no habla ingles?
You explain it to us then zaga. Why should they not even mention the game
It would be great if they would simply run the game scores across the bottom of the screen. That would be better than not mentioning them at all.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:It would be great if they would simply run the game scores across the bottom of the screen. That would be better than not mentioning them at all.

That's what they did.
But I've said my piece and everyone on here but a couple understand it.
cj2561 Wrote:sport over for high school sports. 80% that you said that is a UK will watch there game.

I literally don't understand what you're trying to say.
zaga_fan Wrote:That's what they did.
But I've said my piece and everyone on here but a couple understand it.

I understand what you’re saying zaga. They are short of staff and it’s not an easy job. I remember when Milam was there and I would call game scores into the station and talk to him. Sometimes he would talk about how stressful and difficult it was for him to get to all the games, get back to the station, and get ready for the broadcast. Not an easy task. WYMT does well with a lot less resources than their sister station has in Lexington.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:I literally don't understand what you're trying to say.

all the UK fan in the mountains. is going to watch the game. WYMT sport overtime don't need to talk about UK on there show. they could use the time they talk about UK, to talk about other high school sports in the mountains.

and if they want to talk about college sports the last few mins of the show. they need to talk about UofL, EKU, Morehead, ect. all the college in the state. the only people that is UK fans, don't know any better. there mom and dad is UK fans, there mom's and dad's, mom and dad was UK fans.

so do you get what I am saying now. or do I need to brake it down some more for you.
hitter Wrote:You explain it to us then zaga. Why should they not even mention the game

It's possible no one called the score in!
The sports department at WYMT has always been pretty much a labor of love. For many of the sportscasters, it is their very first position or one of their very first. Many of them have moved here from hours away just to get this opportunity and to, be quite honest, the job does not pay a great deal. They are expected to cover everything from football to cornhole between Somerset and Ashland. There are very little real reasons to do this job other than it is their passion and they love it. Sometimes coverage isn't perfect, but I promise you that it has more to do with a lack of resources than it does a lack of effort or a a lack of caring. And if you are a sports television program in the state of Kentucky, why would you not talk about UK?
HUB Wrote:The sports department at WYMT has always been pretty much a labor of love. For many of the sportscasters, it is their very first position or one of their very first. Many of them have moved here from hours away just to get this opportunity and to, be quite honest, the job does not pay a great deal. They are expected to cover everything from football to cornhole between Somerset and Ashland. There are very little real reasons to do this job other than it is their passion and they love it. Sometimes coverage isn't perfect, but I promise you that it has more to do with a lack of resources than it does a lack of effort or a a lack of caring. And if you are a sports television program in the state of Kentucky, why would you not talk about UK?

no they don't. in the fall, it is only football. in the winter it is only basketball. in the spring it is baseball and softball I guess. I never watch it in the spring. I have never saw anything other then Basketball or Football on sport overtime. but I have not watch it, in 3 or 4 year now maybe longer. I just don't care about the highlight or them talking about UK football at the end of the show. I just want to know who won and who lose. I can find out some of them that night on KHSAA web site or on here. the next day, I can find out all the score. just like college sports I can't find on TV what I want to know the score about. I have to get on the NCAA web site to find them out.
zaga_fan Wrote:Sorry, guys. This is one of my "triggers" I guess.

Who in the hell would call a tv station about highlights over there kids? This is probably the reason wymt is scared to say anything negative about any players or teams and do the beauty contest type rankings.

Please publicly shame these people. At least tell us what schools are the worst for calling in. I imagine some of the belfry fans on here comprise of the majority of that Confusednicker:
Pages: 1 2