Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who Should Be the Coach of The Year in 13th Region ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Which coach has done the best job throughout the year? Taking his team from the bottom or losing everything in 16-17 year to this season? (Record, competing, effort by players...etc)
North Laurel
Brad Sizemore
:popcorn: :popcorn:
Brad Sizemore hands down. Don’t know how anyone can make a better case for anyone but him.
The group at North Laurel right now has always been a talented group. I don't understand why people are surprised by their results.

A cohesive group is better than any one individual.
Nick Napier at Williamsburg has done a great job with what he has to work with. Dinky Phillips should get some consideration also.
Dinky played a Jv schedule.
Sizemore, Napier, and Davis my top three selections.
What Lewis Morris has done at Middlesboro is pretty remarkable too.
If Lewis Morris can take Middlesboro to Region, Coach of the Year. Otherwise Sizemore.
Rainingthrees Wrote:Dinky played a Jv schedule.

But, with. JV roster.
NextGeneration Wrote:If Lewis Morris can take Middlesboro to Region, Coach of the Year. Otherwise Sizemore.

Beat Harlan County first round in district, Harlan County lost 4 of last 7 game of season.
Do a little research on the Middlesboro side of it. HC side makes no difference.
Sizemore - North Laurel
Napier - Williamsburg
Davis - South Laurel
Lewis Morris- took over the worse team in region that won 4 games in past two years and win 15 games and playing in middle of pack in region..
Brad Sizemore- best young coach in region
Patterson should not even be in the conversation! With Sizemore Morris and Davis this should have been a 3 horse race. The fact Patterson got it shows me the media or less Dixon I should say needs to find a another job!
Sizemore or Dinky
Patterson won it!
Rainingthrees Wrote:Patterson won it!

How does the coach of the team that nearly everyone picked as preseason favorites and place 4 guys on the all district team win coach of the year? Not saying he's done a bad job, he's done a pretty good job actually. Buy theres several others thats more deserving imo. Dinky at Lynn Camp has guided them to record breaking season, Morris at Middlesboro has led them to an unbelievable turnaround. Bell wasn't expected to win many games and Smith has done excellent job getting those kids to believe they can win. Brad Sizemore has done maybe the best job in the region, getting his team back more to having a team first type attitude. Napier at Williamsburg and Davis at South Laurel have both done excellent jobs as well with mostly young rosters.
I base it more off what I see, and I don't see Patterson anywhere near coach of the year. Runs no kind of offense, and plays 1 kind of defense. He just has the most overall talent.
Leonards_loser Wrote:How does the coach of the team that nearly everyone picked as preseason favorites and place 4 guys on the all district team win coach of the year? Not saying he's done a bad job, he's done a pretty good job actually. Buy theres several others thats more deserving imo. Dinky at Lynn Camp has guided them to record breaking season, Morris at Middlesboro has led them to an unbelievable turnaround. Bell wasn't expected to win many games and Smith has done excellent job getting those kids to believe they can win. Brad Sizemore has done maybe the best job in the region, getting his team back more to having a team first type attitude. Napier at Williamsburg and Davis at South Laurel have both done excellent jobs as well with mostly young rosters.

Maybe because “nearly everyone picked them as preseason favorites” and because “he has 4 players on the all-district team”. He did coach them, right?
I don’t think there is anything at all wrong with running one defense and one offense IF IT WORKS. I watch Scott County more than any other team. Billy Hicks plays a man to man trap about 99% of the time, but it works for him. It seems to me the coaches that have the hardest time winning over a long period of time are coaches that don’t know what type of coach they are. One game they are a man to man coach, the next a 2-3 zone coach. One game they are trying to run. The next they are holding the ball. The coaches that win over the long haul pick a system and stay with it.
Take a look at 16-17 season and what the coach had coming back and then look at previous record (16-17) and then give your opinion on best job coaching.
Dinky has played the weakest schedule and won 20 t the past two years.
JMO. Not sure that Lynn Camp has beaten anyone with a winning record.
rojas Wrote:I don’t think there is anything at all wrong with running one defense and one offense IF IT WORKS. I watch Scott County more than any other team. Billy Hicks plays a man to man trap about 99% of the time, but it works for him. It seems to me the coaches that have the hardest time winning over a long period of time are coaches that don’t know what type of coach they are. One game they are a man to man coach, the next a 2-3 zone coach. One game they are trying to run. The next they are holding the ball. The coaches that win over the long haul pick a system and stay with it.

When you have superior size and talent like Billy always has at Scott County, you can definitely be one dimensional, because talent is still going to beat most teams regardless what you run. That's not the case in the 13th. Against Bell, Pineville, Lynn Camp, and such that works. But obviously it doesn't work against the better region teams most the time. Sure doesn't work out of region. I just don't think being predictable is a good thing.
I don’t think Billy ever had superior size and talent at Evarts, Harlan or Corbin. His system hasn’t changed. Even now, I’m not so sure Billy has more size and talent than Bryan Station, Lexington Christian, Madison Central, Henry Clay etc.
rojas Wrote:I don’t think Billy ever had superior size and talent at Evarts, Harlan or Corbin. His system hasn’t changed. Even now, I’m not so sure Billy has more size and talent than Bryan Station, Lexington Christian, Madison Central, Henry Clay etc.

You need to go watch Scott County then. They definitely have more talent and size than everyone else in the state. More so talent than size, but most teams still aren't full of 6'4", 6'6", 6'7" kids. He also has definitely changed style and some philosophy since Evarts. Lol. But it doesn't matter what you give Billy, he's going to win. He's just the best coach the states had.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:You need to go watch Scott County then. They definitely have more talent and size than everyone else in the state. More so talent than size, but most teams still aren't full of 6'4", 6'6", 6'7" kids. He also has definitely changed style and some philosophy since Evarts. Lol. But it doesn't matter what you give Billy, he's going to win. He's just the best coach the states had.

I don't think anyone on planet earth has seen Billy Hicks teams play more often in the last 40 years than I have. His system really hasn't changed that much. I think Covington Catholic and Trinity easily have as much or more talent than Scott County this year. Moreno is about 6'6". I haven't seen the 6'7" kid or the 6'4" kid that you mentioned. The other 4 starts range from about 5'7" to 6'3". Scott County only goes 7 deep this year. In the end, great coaching is not so much about strategy but about individual improvement. If every player gets more skilled at shooting, ball handling, defense, rebounding etc. every single day you will be successful, no mater what system you play.
rojas Wrote:I don't think anyone on planet earth has seen Billy Hicks teams play more often in the last 40 years than I have. His system really hasn't changed that much. I think Covington Catholic and Trinity easily have as much or more talent than Scott County this year. Moreno is about 6'6". I haven't seen the 6'7" kid or the 6'4" kid that you mentioned. The other 4 starts range from about 5'7" to 6'3". Scott County only goes 7 deep this year. In the end, great coaching is not so much about strategy but about individual improvement. If every player gets more skilled at shooting, ball handling, defense, rebounding etc. every single day you will be successful, no mater what system you play.

Covington Catholic has 3 good players and a 6'11" kid. He's not that skilled, but you can't teach 6'11". Trinity has 3 good players, and several decent ones. But 1-8 or so, Scott County is far more talented. I know all those kids really well, and have watched them since they was 4th grade. But regardless, if you give Billy any of those 3 teams and the other coaches his Scott County team, I'd still pick Billy's team to win. Guy truly is a basketball genius, and great person. I've known the family for a long time, and you won't find a better bunch of people.
Last year Middlesboro won 5 games....They currently have won 15 game. No coach in the region, maybe in the state, has tripled that amount of wins from the previous season....especially in the first year at the school........just stating the truth. Coach Morris deserves serious consideration for COY in the 13th region.
If you look at improvements from one year to the next. I would think that you have to mention parrett from Jackson County.
They have had a very good season.
Have some good wins and played some good teams very close.
Need to look at team and over all improvements. Knox came in as heavy favorites and has fell off. Dinky held LC, Davis has improved south, Sizemore has shown why he keeps his job and truth be told Morris at middlesboro has done the best over all job. Talent doesn’t mean you can coach, anyone with any basketball knowledge can coach a loaded team. Has he made that team that much better and the answer is NO!!
Pages: 1 2