Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2018 Mr. KY Basketball Candidates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Congrats to all mentioned.

2018 Mr. KY Basketball Candidates
Region 1: Jerome (JJ) Reed - Paducah Tilghman
Region 2: Detorrion Ware - Christian County
Region 3: GCorian Gardner - Owensboro
Region 4: Skyelar Potter - Warren Central
Region 5: Mickey Pearson - John Hardin
Region 6: Curt Lewis - Valley
Region 7: Jay Scrubb - Trinity (Louisville)
Region 8: Cobe Penny - Anderson County
Region 9: CJ Fredrick - Covington Catholic
Region 9: Adam Kunkel - Cooper
Region 10: Will Philpot - George Rogers Clark
Region 11: Eric Boone - Bryan Station
Region 12: Trevon Faulkner - Mercer County
Region 12: Steven Fitzgerald - Pulaski County
Region 13: Andrew Taylor - Corbin
Region 13: Markelle Turner - Knox Central
Region 14: Caleb Bonny - Estill County
Region 15: Wyatt Battaile - Pikeville
Region 16: Dalton Barnett - Menifee County
I'd be surprised if Faulkner didn't win.
Taylor is the best but Faulkner will win.
Congrats to all. Who's the favorite?
How awesome would it be to have both the boys and girls Mr and Miss basketball come from Eastern Ky. southeast Ky.
Corbin Wrote:Taylor is the best but Faulkner will win.
If he's the best then he should win.
I've traveled and watched 8 kids on this list play. The kid from Trinity is one smooth player with a beautiful shot. Left handed also which makes him harder to guard for some kids cause most are use to playing against right handed players. Had almost 30 and double figure boards that game I watched at the Nissan Classic.
Ive seen Fitz, Taylor, Kunkel, CJ, Pearson, penny and Faulkner play. I would take Faulkner, Fitz, and Kunkel as my top three.

Mommy's eyes are painted red. The best player will win it. Taylor isn't the best in this region, not to mention the state. If he were there would not be two listed. Regions that list two killed it for the kids. It may be difficult, but list one per region.....there is one Mr. Basketball.

Faulkner is the best I have seen. I haven't seen all of them.
i think they should go back to the old way of picking mr. basketball. one region might have the best 3 players in the state and this way one coach might know more coaches then the other coaches and get the coaches he knows to vote for his player to give him player of the year in that region which puts the other 2 players out. it happened in the 14th region one year when the day kid from buckhorn was player of the year and perry had jaysean paige who was voted the best player in ky by the courier journal and not voted player of the year in his region. paige went on to west virginia and let them in scoring his senior year and a #6 ranking in the nation. the way they do it now they dont have the best players getting voted on
I like the Turner kid from Knox has he committed anywhere?
Heard may stay home play for Union College.
Region 7 probably has 10 players better than some candidates mentioned on this list.

Confusednicker:
4everUK Wrote:Region 7 probably has 10 players better than some candidates mentioned on this list.

That's what I'm saying. The way they do it now isn't right in my opinion
Taylor is hands down the best player in the 13th and if you can't see that you just don't know basketball. That being said I think the kid from Mercer County has a good shot at winning it.
hitter Wrote:i think they should go back to the old way of picking mr. basketball. one region might have the best 3 players in the state and this way one coach might know more coaches then the other coaches and get the coaches he knows to vote for his player to give him player of the year in that region which puts the other 2 players out. it happened in the 14th region one year when the day kid from buckhorn was player of the year and perry had jaysean paige who was voted the best player in ky by the courier journal and not voted player of the year in his region. paige went on to west virginia and let them in scoring his senior year and a #6 ranking in the nation. the way they do it now they dont have the best players getting voted on

I definitely preferred the old method. In 2012, Matt Day had the better year and, overall, high school career in the 14th region and is actually listed as the runner-up for Mr. Basketball behind the kid from Trinity. Paige was great but he was great for one year and was eliminated in the first game of the district by Day and Buckhorn. Player of the Year isn't based on D1 potential. It's based on results at the high school level and Day had as good a year as anyone statewide. Post high school, Paige was obviously more productive at West Va. and proved his worth as a basketball player to anyone that might have doubted him. Day did end up at UVa-Wise with a very solid career finishing 6th on their all time scoring list and being top ten in the NCAA in double doubles his senior year aside from earning his degree.