Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Billy D. Batting Eyes To Lexington...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

He hasn't said no... http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/s...ortCat=ncb

Post game comments after last night's Florida win over Butler are very interesting. He "has" the power to say no and turn down the job and didn't. That's a good sign guys.

Donovan has two years left on a deal that pays him $1.7 million annually at Florida -- less, on average, than football coach Urban Meyer. Kentucky was paying Tubby Smith in excess of $2 million -- and would theoretically be ready to pay more than that for the national championship coach .
listen to billy interview he said they have been fun to coach take it anyway you want. oh yeah welcome home biily d.
Quit dreaming. He ain't leaving Gainesville, people. The Gator Nation has much deeper pockets than UK does (that's what prolonged success on the gridiron creates).

The only way you'll see him in Lexington is on the visitors' bench.
TomSportsHack Wrote:Quit dreaming. He ain't leaving Gainesville, people. The Gator Nation has much deeper pockets than UK does (that's what prolonged success on the gridiron creates).

You may be right, but you can't blame him for playing both sides for the money. Who wouldn't? That's why you haven't heard a firm answer one way or another.

In terms of money, it wouldn't surprise me to see Kentucky match or beat any deal Florida offers Donovan at the rate donors ran off Tubby.
jammin' jamey Wrote:You may be right, but you can't blame him for playing both sides for the money. Who wouldn't? That's why you haven't heard a firm answer one way or another.

In terms of money, it wouldn't surprise me to see Kentucky match or beat any deal Florida offers Donovan at the rate donors ran off Tubby.

:lmao:

They'd have to put a second mortgage on Kentucky Horse Park to pull that stunt off.
TomSportsHack Wrote::lmao:

They'd have to put a second mortgage on Kentucky Horse Park to pull that stunt off.

So if donors could drum up $5 million in 48-hours as John Clay wrote about last week to buy-out Tubby's contract in the event he could've been fired, but they can't the money to hire Donovan away from Florida?
I know its a long shot, but Billy D didnt say no. He could have killed all the rumors in last nights post game interview, but he chose not too.
BurntTires Wrote:I know its a long shot, but Billy D didnt say no. He could have killed all the rumors in last nights post game interview, but he chose not too.

Exactly.

He's doing one of two things. Thinking about Lexington or playing Florida for more money.
We will never see him coach at UK.
Benchwarmer Wrote:We will never see him coach at UK.

I wouldn't bet the house on it.. What makes everyone so sure that Billy D wouldn't come to UK? I don't think money would be the issue. Kentucky has always been one of the highest paid coaching jobs in america. What makes you think that anything will change? I mean is Florida going to really pay a basketball coach significally more than their football coach.. I don't see it happening.. I say this because I believe UK will pay him at least 3 to 3.5 million a year.. I don't think Urban Meyer makes nearly that much.
The job at UK is custom designed for 1 person. After Rupp left UK to his successor Joe B Hall the program struggled at times but was always in contention for SEC hardware. Under Eddie Sutton there was more of the same.

Pitino however in 1992 raised the bar and brought back a lot of emotion. Then he followed that up with 2 consecutive NCAA championship appearances and a title in 96.

Tubby raised the bar, along with an incredible team and assistant staff in 98 with another title.

^^That is what has set the tone for the result we are all about to see.

Now back to my original point. This position is custom designed for a coach with a huge ego. This job will catapult the coach to Iconic status forever in the world of college basketball. The man that UK will choose will be a man who truly feels that He is the best coach in America.

And that's the guy we want. Someone who believes that He can come to UK and Win, right now! October 2007 Here we come BIG BLUE MADNESS!!!!!!!
:kneel:
TomSportsHack Wrote:Quit dreaming. He ain't leaving Gainesville, people. The Gator Nation has much deeper pockets than UK does (that's what prolonged success on the gridiron creates).

Nice to see you on here again, but you just stay down there in the Sunshine state and enjoy your national title. We will take the coach.

Billy wants to come to UK IMO. He made sure that in his contract with UF, that the only SEC school that he is allowed to talk with is UK.
Billy D is a business man! He knows what he is doing and how to handle things and done an EXCELLENT job last night in the interview.. HE WANTS BOTH TEAMS TO SHOW HIM THE MONEY! He isn't leaving because he knows Florida would match whatever amount UK would offer! HANDS DOWN!
this job is like the Bama job in football in one respect...when the coach jets or is fired (in Bama's case), every coach in the SEC gets a raise, lol...and I believe what others have said in that its not entirely about the money. Its about prestige. And although I dont believe that Donovan has a giant ego, I do believe that as long as he's at Florida, he'll be overshadowed, and #2 on the athletic payroll..at UK, he'll practically be handed the keys to the state, and nobody will overshadow him in Lexington. Maybe that may have some merit, maybe it doesnt. Maybe he dont mind being overshadowed. But thats my view on it. I hope he comes to Lexington. I couldnt imagine anybody better than Billy D. parading the court..
thats a very good point Beef...wondering now just how much he'll exercise that last part? lol
Beef Wrote:Nice to see you on here again, but you just stay down there in the Sunshine state and enjoy your national title. We will take the coach.

Billy wants to come to UK IMO. He made sure that in his contract with UF, that the only SEC school that he is allowed to talk with is UK.
jammin' jamey Wrote:So if donors could drum up $5 million in 48-hours as John Clay wrote about last week to buy-out Tubby's contract in the event he could've been fired, but they can't the money to hire Donovan away from Florida?

Whatever LEX puts up, the Bull Gators will find a way to match and top. Guaranteed.

TidesHoss32 Wrote:this job is like the Bama job in football in one respect...when the coach jets or is fired (in Bama's case), every coach in the SEC gets a raise, lol...and I believe what others have said in that its not entirely about the money. Its about prestige. And although I dont believe that Donovan has a giant ego, I do believe that as long as he's at Florida, he'll be overshadowed, and #2 on the athletic payroll..at UK, he'll practically be handed the keys to the state, and nobody will overshadow him in Lexington. Maybe that may have some merit, maybe it doesnt. Maybe he dont mind being overshadowed. But thats my view on it. I hope he comes to Lexington. I couldnt imagine anybody better than Billy D. parading the court..

The job is like Bama in two respects. The one you forgot is this: Unreasonable expectations on the part of spoiled fans have made the job a total nightmare for anybody other than one dead legend.

Go look at the Crimson Tide boards in late November and early December, back when Bammers were dead rock-solid certain their school had Rich Rodriguez locked up because "Bama is the ultimate" and "nobody can turn down the Tide" and "why would anybody want to stay in a football backwater like Morgantown?" The Big Bammers were so certain they had Rodriguez that three Alabama newspapers ran stories that it was a done deal. Of course, they didn't get him and I don't think they'll be pleased with the guy they did get in the end.

That's what Kentucky men's basketball is now: Alabama football. Unrealistic fan pressure produced by unrealistic fan expectations, an overblown history and a rabid fan base have made those coaching jobs hell on Earth. In Gainesville, Donovan has a chance to be a legend. He won't have that in Lexington --- there's only room for one legend at Rupp Arena, and he's dead 29 years-plus now.
i dont think the Alabama job is unreasonable at all. I believe they offered the job to alumni first, found out that basically he was the worst coach in the SEC, and then fired him. They have had some questionable hires, I will give you that. But of the ones that they have kept, and left on their own terms, Gene Stallings could have stayed there as long as he wanted to. Look at it since '83, Ray Perkins (strike 1), Bill Curry (need I say more), Stallings (Good solid hire, best since the Bear), Mike DuBose (horrible coach with a bad record), Dennis Franchione (good coach who left to go back home in Texas), Mike Shula (give Joe Kines credit on most of those 10 wins year before last, not Shula), and I believe that they got the very best coach in Nick Saban. A proven winner who can flat out recruit, and will bring Bama to where they should be. Yes, I was one of those who thought we had Rodriguez too, but hell man it was on ESPN, whats a brother supposed to think?? Im glad he stayed in West Virginia, Saban's better anyways..and as far as UK goes, theyve had 5 coaches in 77 years...yeah thats such a unreasonable place to work. And how can you call it an overblown history when they have more wins than anybody else in college basketball? LOL..and as far as your legend theory goes..that too, my friend is incorrect. If Donovan comes here, has a great career, he'll be legendary too. Pitino was here for 8 seasons, and people have cried since the day he signed with the Celtics. Still are.
TomSportsHack Wrote:Whatever LEX puts up, the Bull Gators will find a way to match and top. Guaranteed.

The job is like Bama in two respects. The one you forgot is this: Unreasonable expectations on the part of spoiled fans have made the job a total nightmare for anybody other than one dead legend.

Go look at the Crimson Tide boards in late November and early December, back when Bammers were dead rock-solid certain their school had Rich Rodriguez locked up because "Bama is the ultimate" and "nobody can turn down the Tide" and "why would anybody want to stay in a football backwater like Morgantown?" The Big Bammers were so certain they had Rodriguez that three Alabama newspapers ran stories that it was a done deal. Of course, they didn't get him and I don't think they'll be pleased with the guy they did get in the end.

That's what Kentucky men's basketball is now: Alabama football. Unrealistic fan pressure produced by unrealistic fan expectations, an overblown history and a rabid fan base have made those coaching jobs hell on Earth. In Gainesville, Donovan has a chance to be a legend. He won't have that in Lexington --- there's only room for one legend at Rupp Arena, and he's dead 29 years-plus now.
And what if Donovan goes to LEX, doesn't get 30 wins straight-away and then has to deal with boosters and talk-radio-callers stabbing him in the back? That scenario is far more likely than him "becoming a legend at UK."

UK fans are the most fickle basketball fans in the nation. And only a Bammer can deny the fact that his athletic department has become a national laughingstock with a straight face.

As for the compliments you're paying Saban ... he's a lying, two-faced snake and he proved it when he walked out on the Dolphins and claimed he had no idea the Crimson Tide had been after him for months. Karma is against him, along with all the fodder he gives rival recruiters (he makes promises, tells people things, gives them his word ... and then he leaves).
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Billy D is a business man! He knows what he is doing and how to handle things and done an EXCELLENT job last night in the interview.. HE WANTS BOTH TEAMS TO SHOW HIM THE MONEY! He isn't leaving because he knows Florida would match whatever amount UK would offer! HANDS DOWN!
I don't think KY v Fla for donovan is a decision that has anything to do with money...he'll name his price either place.

And I believe he will look at the UK job.
The fact that he has UK, and UK only,as an SEC team he is allowed(by contract) to talk with shows that he has or had interest in the job at some point.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I don't think KY v Fla for donovan is a decision that has anything to do with money...he'll name his price either place.

The fact that he has UK, and UK only,as an SEC team he is allowed(by contract) to talk with shows that he has or had interest in the job at some point.

Good point.
yeah, so Saban should have come out in the middle of the season and told everybody that "yeah Im gonna jet after the season goes, so I really dont care if we win or not, its not even relevant"...yeah, come on man, use some common sense here. Even the players for Miami (Jason Taylor and Zack Thomas) have said they wouldnt have done it any different than Saban did. He was put in an awful situation (by the media), and done the best he could to keep his team together and focused on the season. Had it not been for the biggest crybaby in Florida (Don Shula), not nearly as much would have been made of it. And another thing, had Dennis Franchione not left Tuscaloosa in 2002, he'd still be there. So laughingstock my ass. When your team wins 12 national championships, your "laughingstock" athletic department has the right to be choosy. Enjoy your beating the worst coach in the SEC for a season, because things are going to be quite a bit different from here on out..
TomSportsHack Wrote:And what if Donovan goes to LEX, doesn't get 30 wins straight-away and then has to deal with boosters and talk-radio-callers stabbing him in the back? That scenario is far more likely than him "becoming a legend at UK."

UK fans are the most fickle basketball fans in the nation. And only a Bammer can deny the fact that his athletic department has become a national laughingstock with a straight face.

As for the compliments you're paying Saban ... he's a lying, two-faced snake and he proved it when he walked out on the Dolphins and claimed he had no idea the Crimson Tide had been after him for months. Karma is against him, along with all the fodder he gives rival recruiters (he makes promises, tells people things, gives them his word ... and then he leaves).
your right, Tubby got crucified by the boosters and the radio callers, no fight there. However, Tubbys slow down/defensive grind it out style is what got him done in. Billy D dont have to win 30 games out of the gate to be a "legend"....IF, and its a BIG IF, he winds up at UK, he'll be treated very very well...I have no doubts whatsoever that he'll end up as or possibly more popular as Pitino was when he was there. I can count the number of angry callers on two hands in 8 years he was there...itll be interesting to see what unfolds in the aftermath of the tournament....one more thing you left out about Saban...you seem to forget that he also managed to win a national championship down at LSU..just figured Id point that out..
TomSportsHack Wrote:And what if Donovan goes to LEX, doesn't get 30 wins straight-away and then has to deal with boosters and talk-radio-callers stabbing him in the back? That scenario is far more likely than him "becoming a legend at UK."

FOX SPORTS Wrote:I don't think KY v Fla for donovan is a decision that has anything to do with money...he'll name his price either place.

I agree but some things to think about is other than ego, why would he come here? If he had lost in the first round of the NCAA the Florida fans would have been "that's okay, football season starts in a couple of months". At Kentucky, they wouldn't stop talking and hounding him until midnight madness. There are no "FIRE BILLY" websites in Florida, at last count I heard there were 7 before Tubby left. Billy does not get the pressure from the boosters that he would have in the bluegrass state. IMO, the pressure is too much here for anyone and Billy has a family to think about, he has kids in high school and elementary and if he doesn't win 30 games a season then his kids are going to see how a state can turn on a man, quickly. I just don't think that Billy would leave, he has it pretty good in Florida right now.
I know as a Duke fan I would be making the biggest basketball sin, but if Billy D comes to UK, I will be rooting for Kentucky alongside of Duke.
Beef Wrote:Billy wants to come to UK IMO. He made sure that in his contract with UF, that the only SEC school that he is allowed to talk with is UK.
read his contract nowhere in it does it say this
The Fan Wrote:read his contract nowhere in it does it say this

Oh but yes it does.
Here's an article out of FL about Billy D.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...065/SPORTS
O.K. I know this is off subject a little bit but I thought someone on here could fill me in.......Is there a CHANCE of Bobby Knight commming or is it a rumor.But as fair as Billy D. It would be awesome IF he came to UK.
No. And he's extremely overrated as a coach. Made a lot of hay a long time ago, but his coaching technique is too off-putting to the kinds of players UK fans demand as recruits.
GB1 Wrote:Here's an article out of FL about Billy D.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...065/SPORTS

I bet that didn't get a good reception in FL. Smile
Pages: 1 2