Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Sheldon Clark 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thoughts and predictions?
Takes a huge step forward, even if it doesnt show up in the win/loss column. May be able to pull off a district upset.

First time in 5 years SC has had the same head coach for back to back seasons.
Josh Muncy is gonna do good things for Sheldon Clark.

He's built a great wrestling program. Give him some time and football will be back on track.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Josh Muncy is gonna do good things for Sheldon Clark.

He's built a great wrestling program. Give him some time and football will be back on track.

I think 2018 will bring much of the same as 2017 for the Cardinals. The economic hits have simply been too severe to recover from IMO, to be able to compete or even show marked improvement. Whether or not moving to 2A in 2019 will help remains to be seen. Additionally.....from what I’m hearing, the superintendent is much more focused on improvement on the basketball court vs the football field.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Josh Muncy is gonna do good things for Sheldon Clark.

OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I think 2018 will bring much of the same as 2017 for the Cardinals. The economic hits have simply been too severe to recover from IMO, to be able to compete or even show marked improvement. Whether or not moving to 2A in 2019 will help remains to be seen. Additionally.....from what I’m hearing, the superintendent is much more focused on improvement on the basketball court vs the football field.

Is Sheldon Clark gonna win the state championship..... probably not.

Josh has the wrestling team back in the tops of the region. Three state place winners this past year and placed in the State duals.

The economy in Martin County sucks, no other way to say. That doesn't mean the staff can't develop the players they have.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Is Sheldon Clark gonna win the state championship..... probably not.

Josh has the wrestling team back in the tops of the region. Three state place winners this past year and placed in the State duals.

The economy in Martin County sucks, no other way to say. That doesn't mean the staff can't develop the players they have.

Not a knock on the staff. I just don’t know if there are enough kids To develop. Definitely in their best interest going to 2A in 2019.

FWIW....I’m of the opinion that unless something drastic occurs economically......In the next 4-6 years .....Belfry will be in the same boat
With the way the economy is I don’t think Sheldon clark will ever see the success they had in the past under Matney and Hager. However, they have a very nice field and a young energetic coach. It’s not a stretch to see them being reasonably competitive in 2A the next few years.
Also, SC seems to have stopped losing the wuality kids they do have. Are they gonna beat Belfry next year? No. But they will be improved.
It will be a much better year for the cards, Muncy has them going in the right direction and I think you can see a few more wins this season!
Sure the numbers are down from years ago when they was a 3A and 2A power house during the 4 class system but good coaches can still develop what kids they have. Just because their numbers fall does not mean they are at any less of an advantage than anyone else in this area. Good coaches create good teams, simple as that. Find someone willing to develop the kids they have, bring excitement back to the program and place roots and Sheldon Clark COULD return to what it once was. The landscape has changed in high school football and it is much easier today to become a power house than what it was ten years ago.
Anybody have a schedule?
Betsy Lane
Knott County Central
Phelps
Mount View, WV
East Ridge
Belfry
Lawrence County
Floyd County Central
Pike County Central
Morgan County
Burner Wrote:Betsy Lane
Knott County Central
Phelps
Mount View, WV
East Ridge
Belfry
Lawrence County
Floyd County Central
Pike County Central
Morgan County

Can you list what games are Home & Away.
Betsy Lane Home
Knott County Central Home
Phelps Away
Mount View, WV Home
East Ridge Away
Belfry Home
Lawrence County Home
Floyd County Central Away
Pike County Central Away
Morgan County Away
Burner Wrote:Betsy Lane Home
Phelps Away
Mount View, WV Home
East Ridge Away
Belfry Home
Lawrence County Home
Pike County Central Away
Morgan County Away

They will lose to Lawrence is all I'm saying...
Burner Wrote:Betsy Lane Home
Phelps Away
Mount View, WV Home
East Ridge Away
Belfry Home
Lawrence County Home
Pike County Central Away
Morgan County Away

I see 2 wins (BL, Phelps), 4 toss ups (ER, KCC, MV, Morgan Co) 4 losses (all district games).

The 4 toss ups could be 4 losses but I don’t think they could be 4 wins. I don’t know about MV. Morgan and KCC will be average to decent compared to SC. ER on the road may be the difference there.
SC is primed to take a BIG step forward. Remember, SC didnt ecen have a HC at this time last year. This year theyve had a full off season weight room program and have a staff in place. Will that equal more wins? Maybe not. But considering all the young players that had substantial playkng time last year I expect huge strides in performance.