Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Its finally here....BASEBALL.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This board needs to step its game up. Need posters from all regions. Don't you just love the "Hope" that comes with a new season? Go MUSTANGS !
We have a solid shot repeating as regional champions. Perry will be tough as usual and I really don't know what some of the other teams will look like. Good luck to all teams.
Go Colonels!
Johnson Central should have another good year in the 15th. Having two stud pitchers in Kelly and Meade gives them a chance against anybody. I think they take a small step back from last years team though because of hitting. Losing Blanton and Davis from the top of the order is really going to hurt.
Again, I think it all comes down to the regional draw. I believe the top three teams in the region will be (in no order):

Paintsville
JC
Lawrence

LC will meet up with one of those two before the finals for sure (like last year), and if fortunate will probably face the other in the finals (as usual).

LC lost no starters from last year, no innings from last year........

IF LC gets and stays healthy, they should be ready come post season. Some injuries have killed them the past 12 months, both on the field and in other sports. Word around town is a few surprises on the mound this year with some guys picking up some velocity......
Pike Central will definitely be a contender this year. I'd put them above or same level as the above teams. But JC favorite of those.
I'd go 1. JC 2. PC 3. Pikeville 4. Lawrence 5. Floyd Central
I totally agree that Lawrence is going to be strong again this year. They have a really good program and competed hard as a young team last year. It will be tough again for them though to get out of the region because like you said they will most likely have to beat both of the 57th district teams.

I think Paintsville is dangerous this year. Played a ton of freshmen and 8th graders last year but ended up in the regional championship game. If they can find some consistent pitching they are going to be really tough to beat.
From what I understand, LC accomplished a lot more last year than was expected of them. That would signal two things for me; 1-they are a very mature team, and 2-they seem to have the intangibles needed to make a run in the postseason. So add those things up with LC not losing anyone, and you have a third team in the mix for the region championship. I hope I get a chance to see them play this year.
There are several (more than 3) good teams in the the 15th Region this year. I wouldn't count FC out of the hunt, Coach Shawn Hager has some good kids playing for him and he can get the best out of his players. Paintsville will be a team to beat too, it's my understanding they have all their players back this year and I heard they started conditioning the first day of school, them boys want to win. There are schools in Pike County that are not going to roll over either. This will be a Great year for baseball in the 15th region, and yes JC will be one of the teams to watch and Coach Hall will have his brother Mike working his pitchers this year (for those who don't remember Mike pitched at Louisville).
BallFan1952 Wrote:There are several (more than 3) good teams in the the 15th Region this year. I wouldn't count FC out of the hunt, Coach Shawn Hager has some good kids playing for him and he can get the best out of his players. Paintsville will be a team to beat too, it's my understanding they have all their players back this year and I heard they started conditioning the first day of school, them boys want to win. There are schools in Pike County that are not going to roll over either. This will be a Great year for baseball in the 15th region, and yes JC will be one of the teams to watch and Coach Hall will have his brother Mike working his pitchers this year (for those who don't remember Mike pitched at Louisville).

If you don’t start conditioning in January and you don’t have a fall program, then you won’t compete for a regional title anywhere. I can’t imag anyone outside of LC, Paintsville, or JC winning the 15th. You are right about Mike, he did play for Louisville. However, that is not a prerequisite for being an outstanding coach. I have seen some really bad coaches that have played at high levels. What I have heard about him is that is very good at “in-game” situations, but is very lazy as a coach otherwise.
I think The 15th will come down to 4 teams. JC is the favorite then the next 3 will be Paintsville, Pikeville, and Lawrence.
baseball1974 Wrote:If you don’t start conditioning in January and you don’t have a fall program, then you won’t compete for a regional title anywhere. I can’t imag anyone outside of LC, Paintsville, or JC winning the 15th. You are right about Mike, he did play for Louisville. However, that is not a prerequisite for being an outstanding coach. I have seen some really bad coaches that have played at high levels. What I have heard about him is that is very good at “in-game” situations, but is very lazy as a coach otherwise.

What do these schools do in the fall and January?

JC and PHS are both very good at football and JC at wrestling, gotta imagine a good chunk of baseball players are in on those sports.
Explorer Wrote:What do these schools do in the fall and January?

JC and PHS are both very good at football and JC at wrestling, gotta imagine a good chunk of baseball players are in on those sports.

High school baseball seasons at schools that compete look like this every year:

January-February
Continue hitting programs rolled over that ended in early December. Pitchers start to throw and do workouts to get there arms in shape. Tryouts are February 15th, however, in those schools it’s just another practice day because the team has been practicing already year around. So you already know who is on the team.
March-June
Season

June-July
One to two weeks off after season and then the players that are not playing for a travel organization will play for their high school team. Last week of June and first week of July is dead period so nothing during that time. After that you finish summer season to August. Take off until September.
September-October
Fall practice. Players are doing individual and team workouts. They are mainly hitting as well as doing a long toss program. Most Prospects at these schools will also be playing for a fall travel team up until November.
November you will only go two to three times a week mainly hitting and finishing the long toss program.
December
Hitting if anything until you start back school in January
baseball1974 Wrote:High school baseball seasons at schools that compete look like this every year:

January-February
Continue hitting programs rolled over that ended in early December. Pitchers start to throw and do workouts to get there arms in shape. Tryouts are February 15th, however, in those schools it’s just another practice day because the team has been practicing already year around. So you already know who is on the team.
March-June
Season

June-July
One to two weeks off after season and then the players that are not playing for a travel organization will play for their high school team. Last week of June and first week of July is dead period so nothing during that time. After that you finish summer season to August. Take off until September.
September-October
Fall practice. Players are doing individual and team workouts. They are mainly hitting as well as doing a long toss program. Most Prospects at these schools will also be playing for a fall travel team up until November.
November you will only go two to three times a week mainly hitting and finishing the long toss program.
December
Hitting if anything until you start back school in January

What is the June travel with their high school team? Parent running a travel team essentially? With most of them being on the same team?

I wish baseball in KY was played in the fall. The weather is amazing.
Explorer Wrote:What is the June travel with their high school team? Parent running a travel team essentially? With most of them being on the same team?

I wish baseball in KY was played in the fall. The weather is amazing.

No I’m saying at most “competitive” schools you either play for a travel organization or your high school. If you play for your high school team then you don’t travel you just play other high school teams. Parents do not coach because in KY you are allowed to go year around now.
baseball1974 Wrote:No I’m saying at most “competitive” schools you either play for a travel organization or your high school. If you play for your high school team then you don’t travel you just play other high school teams. Parents do not coach because in KY you are allowed to go year around now.

I was unaware a high school baseball team could play another high school team out of season in KY.
Can't wait to see Whitley this year and their new coach. Could be the surprise of the Region this year. Go Colonels!
Explorer Wrote:I was unaware a high school baseball team could play another high school team out of season in KY.

Sounds like you are a little bit behind. I don’t mind catching you up. Just let me know.
One last weekend. My kid has spent 12 years getting ready for Friday Night. Will be lefty on lefty at 90 mph. 4th round MLB draft pick of the Orioles trying to ringup my baby. All those scorching hot summer mornings taking groundballs and BP. Only talent is left to decide the outcome. Its finally here.....